PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor Issue

Buckrub
07-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Not sure what to do about this one. In the scheme of life, this one is pretty minor. So, I may do nothing more than I've already done. But.........if anyone has a better idea, holler.

Came home today and noticed the line between our house and neighbors........had been mowed..........but about 5-10 feet INSIDE my property. Now, don't think "city quarter acre lots" where the boundaries between houses is invisible. Here, all lots are either one acre or 2.5 acres. Mine is an acre, his is in the bend of the road, and it's 2.5 acres. That house has had about 5 different families live in it since I moved here in 1989. Now, the current resident is........well, when they are all there, the have about 6 cars scattered all over the front yard.

Back to property lines. Out here, most folks have let the lines grow up in vegetation, at least for a bit, and it's served as a barrier for light and sound between houses. That's pretty much the norm. This line has been that way for years. His 2.5 acres, like most lots out here, is full of large mature trees. Since they've moved in about 2 years ago, they've little by little cut down most trees and burned them, and have worked most every summer day with a chain saw. Yesterday I heard a lawnmower but thought nothing of that.........a common sound.

Now one thing to note........these folks........well, I've tried 3 times to go talk to them when they have been out in the yard. They literally hang their head and run into the house. In this part of the world, we speak to each other when we pass in vehicles, even if it's just a small wave. If you wave to them, they look away. They will not speak to you. So I figured they just didn't want to talk to anyone.

One of their 6 cars has no muffler, and comes and goes all hours of the night. They have a bright night light that now shines into my window. Both those things were mitigated for years by the vegetation. No more.

So today when I saw that they had mowed many feet onto my side........meaning they had mowed down some very thick vegetation.......(and 'mowing' is wrong word really. They used a push mower and the entire area is down to the dirt, no grass or anything, just dirt!).....I went over to talk to them. No answer. Nothing. Lots of cars in yard.

So, I leave a note in the mailbox that says my name and that I believe they have encroached on my property, and I'd like to talk to them, and gave my number.

No call yet. But it's Sunday and they have had no reason to open mailbox.

Not sure what else to do.

?????

Captain
07-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Sounds to me you gonna have to put up a fence.

Dad always said a strong fence makes good neighbors

Buckrub
07-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Yes. Dang. I had a good fence. A natural one.

Dang. More expense.

Big Skyz
07-12-2015, 07:17 PM
What Captain said. I had some difficult neighbors on one side of my house when I lived in eastern Montana. I finally put in a 4.5 foot fence. It was a great investment of both my time and money. It made things much better. After selling my house and moving out here I had a reason to travel back to eastern Montana. I decided to swing by my old house and see if there were any changes. Yup, my fence was gone...he replaced it with an 8 foot fence. Smart man. :)

Big Muddy
07-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Yep, do like Cap said, put up a fence....but, have your property surveyed, first....then, if the yahoos don't like it, that'll force them to pay for their own survey....doubt they will do that, however.

Buckrub
07-12-2015, 08:24 PM
I have a surveyed layout in my hand. I have two pins to go off of.

One thing I learned with our very first house in Little Rock, though. If you build a fence, especially on a full acre, build it a least 2" inside your line.

Captain
07-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Why 2"? I can see a couple of feet in a farming situation but what good will a couple of inches do in a "city" situation????

Buckrub
07-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Cause I got "sued" because my neighbor said I put the fence 1/2" on HIS line, but only for a few feet. I didn't, but a fence is X inches thick, and I had put it right on the line, splitting the line, so I guess some part of it was technically on his line. I never got actually sued, but his lawyer wrote a letter. I was 22 and decided to just move it.

After that, I'll build any fence not split between the parties in cost, a couple of inches in. I don't need 2" of land that badly.

Arty
07-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Cause I got "sued" because my neighbor said I put the fence 1/2" on HIS line, but only for a few feet. I didn't, but a fence is X inches thick, and I had put it right on the line, splitting the line, so I guess some part of it was technically on his line. I never got actually sued, but his lawyer wrote a letter. I was 22 and decided to just move it. After that, I'll build any fence not split between the parties in cost, a couple of inches in. I don't need 2" of land that badly.
I see your point, and would do the same.

Captain
07-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Cause I got "sued" because my neighbor said I put the fence 1/2" on HIS line, but only for a few feet. I didn't, but a fence is X inches thick, and I had put it right on the line, splitting the line, so I guess some part of it was technically on his line. I never got actually sued, but his lawyer wrote a letter. I was 22 and decided to just move it. After that, I'll build any fence not split between the parties in cost, a couple of inches in. I don't need 2" of land that badly.
I can see that. Probably a smart move too!

No-till Boss
07-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Move to the farm .......

Thumper
07-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Screw the fence. Stretch out some Concertina wire just your side of the line, then plant land mines on the first 10-feet or so. At the edge of the minefield, set up a row of claymores. Ummm, if you should attempt this yourself, the side that says "front toward enemy" is the part you want facing the property line! That should do it. Back in the day, we called that a perimeter. ;)

Chicken Dinner
07-13-2015, 03:06 AM
Five strand cattle fencing is relatively cheap and easy to install in the amounts you're talking about. Then, I'd invest in a row of relatively fast growing pine like a Leland Cyprus that will give you some privacy.

airbud7
07-13-2015, 07:41 AM

DeputyDog
07-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Make sure you have a legal recorded survey, not just you going along the two pins you have, in case they want to fight it. Save you a lot of trouble in the long run having that before you start. Also make sure there are no zoning regs that you have to have any setback from the line too.

I have to deal with those situations all the time around the lakes here, the houses are close together, and when they change hands, there are all kinds of pissing matches between neighbors.

Big Muddy
07-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Buckney, sounds like you got some crackheads, living next door....just roto-till up the property line, and plant some marijuahootchie seeds....they'll prolly help you keep it watered and fertilized. ;)

Buckrub
07-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Ooooh, there's an idea.

But how would I keep Posthole from coming to visit, then??????????????????????????

Thumper
07-13-2015, 11:42 AM
There'd be no reason for Posthole to visit anydamnway ... 'cause I'd have already been a day or two ahead of him! ;)

Buckrub
07-13-2015, 11:44 AM
YOU can't come. I wouldn't have any furniture or tools left.

Arty
07-13-2015, 11:44 AM
So did you hear from them yet?
I'm interested in knowing what they say

Buckrub
07-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Nothing yet. I suspect they haven't gotten their mail, which is where I left the note.

Can't sit around. Got to go to town and let the bank know I still care for them, and get stuff to go camping.

Nandy
07-13-2015, 03:28 PM
I built mine 2 foot inside my property that way if i have to do maintenance on the outside I dont have to be standing on the neighbors property. Not that I have any problem with either neighbors. both are very nice and relax. I had to put the fence or the HOA (I shiver with anger when I hear that word) would not let me have my boats or campers in the backyard unless it is fenced.

Buckrub
07-13-2015, 05:27 PM
So did you hear from them yet?
I'm interested in knowing what they say

OK, he's out there running a chain saw (cutting down yet one more tree!!) and I just walked across the yard to talk to him. He's a nice enough guy........I'd say a bit IQ challenged, but fairly normal. Works nights for the railroads. He said his wife was doing the mowing and was 'trying to be nice' and just thought "SURELY they'll want all this down and I'll go a bit over on them to help them out".

I told him that the vegetation 'wall' was a benefit and I didn't have to look at his night light and hear so much of his noise........and he said "Well, I told her that some folks might want all that to stay"....... but he said "we're overrun with poison ivy on the trees and in the bushes, and 'stuff'"..........so I assume he moved from the city and doesn't like vegetation. He said "We are NOT trying to take over your lot or push ourselves on you, we're sorry if we did it wrong".

So.......that's the end of that. I can't get mad at a guy like that. I wish he'd have knocked on my door first and asked if I wanted that done, but he didn't.

I also asked why he had so many cars........and he laughed and said "Cause I have so many kids!"......and then he said he'd be glad in a few years when they all had jobs and left home! I laughed and said "I'm about 10-15 years ahead of you, and it has its benefits!"

He did say they found a pin..........which is odd.......it's halfway down that boundary line.......and it's small and green! But it's there. And he said they'd not go further than that anymore. Course, it'll take two years to grow all that back.

But I gots more prollems on the OTHER side of me than he's causing on that side........so I ain't got time to worry about something so trivial. It's all just a thing. And so, che sera, sera.

Big Skyz
07-13-2015, 05:50 PM
So you got problems with the neighbors on both sides of you?

Buckrub
07-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Hahahahaha.

Yeah, my sweet but difficult mother and crazy brother (currently in Hospice and nuttier than a fruitcake) is on the other side!!!!

Big Muddy
07-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Plant marijuahootchie on THAT side, too....Phole can graze on the yahoo's side, and Thump can graze with your crazy brother. ;)

Buckrub
07-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Dang, Ed.

You ought to go get your Ph.D. You a smart man!!!!!

Thumper
07-13-2015, 07:03 PM
You sound like an old curmudgeon to me ... oh ... an old RETIRED curmudgeon, the worst kind! ;)

Buckrub
07-13-2015, 07:06 PM
What???

No-till Boss
07-13-2015, 07:40 PM
He probably thinks you're the asshole now....... lol

BarryBobPosthole
07-13-2015, 08:00 PM
I think you should start raising fighting chickens and put a row of those banty rooster houses along your border. Then see how fast the bushes grow!

BKB

DeputyDog
07-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Glad he wasn't an ass about it. Makes it easier if you can at least somewhat get along with the neighbors. You don't have to socialize with them, but at least it's not a war between you.