PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Hustle

Buckrub
07-13-2015, 05:56 PM
will be in uniform tonight.........because he's one of the Cincinnati "Best Four Ever" or whatever they call it. Bench, Rose, Morgan, Barry Larkin.

He sinned. Big time. Plus, he's probably a low-IQ Charlatan when it comes to "hustle", a term he knows from both its uses. He still charges a ton for autographs.

But what he did, best I can tell.......is bet ON his own team to win.

I can understand making the rule "NO BETTING BY ANY PLAYER OR MANAGER". Easy rule to understand. But...if you put your money on your ability to win, and then go try to cash in.........um.......somehow that makes it a whole lot better to me. IF he had bet against his team, they should shoot him. In public. Seriously, that should be capital offense. But betting ON your team??? Heck, with today's salaries, maybe it should be a requirement to play!

And no matter what else is said, no matter what words are spoken..........if you fielded a team of 9 players to take the field, and you could pick from all the humans that have ever inhabited this planet, Peter Edward Rose would have to be on the field somewhere.

So.........my ambivalence is in serious contention with my morality........

but isn't it always???

No-till Boss
07-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Maybe he should cut his nuts off and host the Espy's .

LJ3
07-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Rules is rules. He seems to get the reverence from people who appreciated his style of play. I think that's about the best he could hope for.

Buckrub
07-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Ty Cobb would never get in with today's standards. Several others also.

I argue with myself over this one.

Hombre
07-14-2015, 12:24 PM
He should get in and has IMO paid enough for his crimes. But betting is betting, whether betting to win or lose. Did he bet on every game he ever had management control over? Did it change his decision on who played the games he bet to win?

Cards01
07-14-2015, 12:25 PM
I agree with you I have the same arguments with myself. Betting on your own team to win should be an admirable thing... except for the rules of no betting.... I just wish from day one he would have said Heck yeah I bet on us to win!! How does that impact the integrity of the game??

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2015, 01:26 PM
If they let him in, then the PED people should get in too. I mean if breaking the rules to help your own team is okay, then that covers PEDS too right? Where would the Giants be without Bonds and his roids?
BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Even if the Commissioner lifts the ban, there's no way either the sports writers or veterans committee vote him into the hall.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
07-14-2015, 06:37 PM
For many years I was just like you guys, conflicted. His play was HOF worthy, no questions asked. But, he bet on baseball and got himself a lifetime ban. Then people say he only bet on his team to win, that isn't so bad. Now consider this, he was dealing with professional gamblers. Many if not all of these folks are involved with organized crime. What if he got in a little too deep and they coerced him into making poor decisions as manager. He could have been betting on his own team just to make things look good while throwing games to help the bookmakers get theirs. Just too much possibility that he was involved in changing the outcome of games for me to agree to lifting the ban. Pretty sure the writers and veterans committee feel the same.

Buckrub
07-14-2015, 06:43 PM
I buy all your arguments.

And my internal ones too.

Seldom do I not know 100% what I think on any subject. This one bothers me. The HOF is full of jerkwaters. Ty Cobb is prime. He'd never even be allowed to play in this time, much less be in HOF. On the other hand, to let Pet into the Hall that has Roberto Clemente in it seems just too much to take. Yet the Hall is the best players. And he's one of the 9 best, IMHO.

Again, I agree with all the arguments!!!

Chicken Dinner
07-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Personally, I say let him in along with all the PED junkies. (I just don't think they'll make it.). Let's just have a full and fair portrayal of their careers - warts and all.

No-till Boss
07-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Thursday, December 12

Report: Dowd says Rose 'probably' bet against team
ESPN.com news services

If John Dowd had more time to investigate Pete Rose 13 years ago, he likely would have unearthed an even more damaging account of the all-time hits leader's gambling habits.

Dowd told the New York Post on Wednesday he thought it was "probably right" that Rose not only bet on Reds games but that he bet against the Reds during the mid-to-late-1980s when Rose managed Cincinnati.

airbud7
07-14-2015, 07:33 PM

airbud7
07-14-2015, 07:34 PM
As a kid....Pete Rose was my favorite player...I loved watching him slide/steal base....He was awesome... And still is...I BET!!! someone will disagree........

Thumper
07-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Charlie Hustle?? Sounds like a dance we did back in high school.

airbud7
07-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Thursday, December 12

Report: Dowd says Rose 'probably' bet against team
ESPN.com news services

And Obama said he would lower the Debt!!!....Why should I/and everyone else take some guy named Dowd's Word....I would BET Pete Rose was a better baseball player than he is a reporter....

No-till Boss
07-14-2015, 07:51 PM
And Obama said he would lower the Debt!!!....Why should I/and everyone else take some guy named Dowd's Word....I would BET Pete Rose was a better baseball player than he is a reporter....

And Jared Fogle, was the best Subway salesman ever ........ your point is ??????

airbud7
07-14-2015, 07:55 PM
And Jared Fogle, was the best Subway salesman ever ........ your point is ??????

This Post^....Is my point!....Who's Jared Fogle?...Stay off the Cool Aid.......

Thumper
07-14-2015, 07:58 PM
As far as I know, Jared hasn't been found guilty of anything. ;)

No-till Boss

Which explains my theory on voting .......

Thumper

The "Subway Guy".

Buckrub
07-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Report: Buckrub says Rose never bet on Reds to lose.