PDA

View Full Version : Remember when I asked about curing my "wandering" boat???....

Big Muddy
07-14-2015, 07:28 PM
I think it was last year, I asked if anyone knew how to cure the "wandering" problem at idle speed, on my Tahoe ski boat.
Pretty much everyone agrees that it is an inherent problem with all V-hull boats.
Well, I found a 100% cure for not only the "wandering", but getting on-plane almost instantly, as well.
I did some googling, and found these Smart-Tabs by Nautilus, and my problems are completely solved for a little over $100 bucks....best money I ever spent, and took me about 30 minutes to install them....I got the white ones.

http://www.nauticusinc.com/automatic_trim_tab_replacement_parts.htm

Thumper
07-14-2015, 07:31 PM
... I got the white ones.

Racist! ;)

Big Muddy
07-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I know, I'm guilty....but the ass-end of my boat is white, so I didn't wanna "integrate". ;)

Arty
07-15-2015, 07:21 AM
I remember you asking that question BM... Glad you figured it out.

I certainly believe what you said about those helping get on plane faster, but just looking at them and knowing where they are positioned on the boat, I'd have guessed it would be the opposite.
Glad they work.

Are those the kind that are wired and you can adjust them up or down with a touch of a button?

johnboy
07-15-2015, 01:56 PM
I had a set of Bennett trim tabs (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/classic-hydraulic-trim-tab-systems/) installed on my last boat and loved them. Excellent for improving holeshot with a heavy loaded boat and trimming the boat when you had an uneven load. I had a T8 Yammie as a trolling motor on the port side of the transom so a little nudge on the tab would bring that side back level when underway. Good investment.

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Question, does it let you stay on plane at a slower speed?

BKB

johnboy
07-15-2015, 02:27 PM
With the adjustable types, yes. You can trim down to bring the stern up at slower speeds which will help you on plane. Don't know about the auto types.

Big Muddy
07-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Absolutely, Barry, after I installed them, my boat planed out even before the speedometer began to register....and, these adjust themselves, automatically, according to your speed, by way of the nitrogen-filled actuator....at idle speed, they are in the full down position....then, as speed is increased, they rise up from the water pressure on them.
This is not my boat; it's just a stock photo, but it shows the placement of the trim tabs.

Buckrub
07-15-2015, 03:15 PM
That's where my transducer is located.............

jb
07-15-2015, 03:17 PM
I had some Bennett's on my 22' SeaRay, ass heavy boat, those things worked great, could easily trim the boat out at slow speeds in rough water.
Glad you found something that worked.

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 04:15 PM
That'd be worth the cost of 'em right there. I'm gonna lookat a set of these for my tub.

Black though.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-15-2015, 05:43 PM
That'd be worth the cost of 'em right there. I'm gonna lookat a set of these for my tub.

Black though.

BKB

Racist!!!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 05:59 PM
I may have to relocate a transducer or two as well.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-15-2015, 06:20 PM
The only problem I can foresee on my Tahoe is the right side trim tab, being located adjacent to the rear boarding ladder, and the kids are prolly gonna try to use them as a step....glad I got the white ones, so I can print "NO STEP" on them, with permanent marking pen, so they can see the words....if they ignore the warning, I'll just whoop their little azzes. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 06:23 PM
A boarding ladder is on my priority list too. If you've ever tried to get back in a bass boat without a ladder you'll know what I mean!

Just ask Trav!

BKB