PDA

View Full Version : Bruins

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Hopefully the link works. If not I'll c&p the whole thing.

Most of the people I know would do the same thing the guy in this story did. And likely nobody would ever know about it.

BKB

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/outdoors/hunting/wildlife-department-spreads-word-on-expanding-bear-population/article_da1b797a-5300-50fa-9a0f-8bbe55f0f015.html

Buckrub
07-15-2015, 09:42 AM
They have taken over South Central Arkansas, the piney woods part, where they have not been in 100 years. We see them while deer hunting. The utility pole (electric) that sits in our front yard is torn up almost from their scratchings. Our feeders are torn to shreds. Game cameras show a half dozen at the corn feeders. AGFC is taking comments on, and will probably go through with, opening bear season in the area.

bears, mt. lions, ivory bill woodpeckers, SSSS.

Thumper
07-15-2015, 09:53 AM
They've been getting out of hand here also. The Commission decided just last month to allow bear hunting again in Florida after being banned 20-25 years ago. The same happened with alligators .. years ago, they banned hunting them but finally had to re-open gator season because we are overrun with those big lizards.

Regarding the lifting of the bear hunting ban ... the tree huggers are up in arms around here.

Buckrub
07-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Tree Hugger season is beginning to be considered in many places.

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 10:01 AM
I am pretty sure if there was a bear on my back stoop at that hour, he'd eat some lead in my case too.

I'm not so sure the state is right to fine this guy.

BKB

Buckrub
07-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Hemphill said when he got a call from Burns and heard the story, he thought he would be making a trip to see if the bear could be captured.

“Then he said, ‘I shot him,’” he said.

"Got a call from Burns"???? Why? For what??

SSSS!!!!!!

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 10:18 AM
The guy probably thought he was doing the right thing.

BKB

Thumper
07-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Hemphill said when he got a call from Burns and heard the story, he thought he would be making a trip to see if the bear could be captured.

“Then he said, ‘I shot him,’” he said.

"Got a call from Burns"???? Why? For what??

SSSS!!!!!!

I'd say that's not so hard to understand. Burns obviously thought he'd done the right thing, nothing illegal, and called the Dept. of Wildlife to report it. I'd also assume he'd hope they'd pick it up and possibly donate the meat (not sure they do that with bear, but they do with deer/elk/moose, etc). It sounds like a case of "thinking" you're doing the right thing, then having it backfire in your face. My guess is, the judge will throw it out. I'd think he'd have definitely been in trouble (or more trouble) if he did NOT report it, and word got back to the Dept. through a neighbor or co-worker who knew about it.

Booger
07-15-2015, 10:42 AM
The article said he'd already paid fines and court costs, so, he's already been to court and judge sided with Wildlife officers.

Thumper
07-15-2015, 12:14 PM
The article said he'd already paid fines and court costs, so, he's already been to court and judge sided with Wildlife officers.

Well duh! You're correct. That's what I get for reading bits and pieces in between talking on the phone with my insurance agent. I forgot the fact he'd already paid and just went by the last thing I read:

"...we write the ticket and then the court system decides if it’s prosecuted or not.”

LJ3
07-15-2015, 12:33 PM
If a bear was on my property and I have a gun in my hand and the bear takes a step toward me, the bear gets it. I'll sort the rest of the crap out later.

Booger
07-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Shoot....Bury.....Shut the fuck up.......

No-till Boss
07-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Shoot....Bury.....Shut the fuck up.......

Trav
07-15-2015, 06:03 PM
The guys a jack ass for shooting it, it had already left his porch and was running away. He was in no way under any threat and I think he got off easy.

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Do we have the guy's dash cam video?

If it'd been me, he'd have three holes in him. One between his eyes and one in each paw where he tried to cover his eyes when I shined the spotlight on him. Or, if like Trav described, and he was running away I'd prolly just shot his balls off.

BKB

Captain
07-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Trav???? Did you read the article?
Don't sound like he was running away to me.
I would have shot the sheit out of him and never said a word...

“We are at a distance of 2 to 3 feet from each other,” he wrote. He and the bear both retreated.
The bear went over a 4-foot-tall panel fence and through an electrified fence where he keeps pygmy goats — one of which recently “mysteriously disappeared,” he said. The bear had every chance to flee, but it turned and came back toward Burns and toward a corral where he had a horse.
“At this point, I feel my livestock and I are in danger. I fired one shot, striking the bear, and it went down,” he wrote. “This bear was not shy or scared.”

No-till Boss
07-15-2015, 06:28 PM
He was probably on bear-barbiturates ......

Trav
07-15-2015, 06:54 PM
I read the original article from a couple of weeks ago that detailed the entire encounter before he had been fined. He heard noises went to his back porch and the bear was eating cat food. That is the point at which they were a few feet apart, the bear was startled and fled the porch. The man then went and retrieved his gun and shot the bear at 40 yards. This fearing for his livestock and the like he just made up after he was fined. He could have called and had the bear relocated.

Captain
07-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Well personally if he had been in my yard with my goats and horses, I would have relocated him to my freezer..... :D
I bet them little ones are TENDER. ;)

Trav
07-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Cappy, I think the difference is that they are plentiful in a lot of places, they are really rare in this part of the state. Actually they are pretty rare for all but 4 southeastern counties of Oklahoma. I would like to see a huntable population in this area again. I have never seen one in Oklahoma.

LJ3
07-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Well personally if he had been in my yard with my goats and horses, I would have relocated him to my freezer..... )

That right there made me laugh out loud!

Big Muddy
07-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Me, too, Cap....my 30-06 and Case backhoe(with an extend-a-hoe) woulda solved that problem. ;)

The DOW has screwed themselves on this one....the guy tried to do the right thing by reporting it, and the DOW gives him a dayum ticket....at least, they got the carcass to study and evaluate....I'll guarandayumtee you, in the future, nobody else is gonna self-report, and DOW won't get sheeit!!!

Buckrub
07-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Some o y'all need to go (bear) hug some trees......

Big Muddy
07-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Ya know what's ironic about this???....if that had been a robber/intruder, and the guy killed him, it would be a clear case of self-defense, and no charges woulda been filed.

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Well, and it was a black bear.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Musta been searching for some commodity cheese. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 10:22 PM
He shoulda never went back to get his phone......

BKB

Thumper
07-15-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm kinda siding with Trav to be honest. I have a feeling once the guy learned he was in trouble, a bit of b/s was injected into the story. A shot into the ground and that bear prolly wouldn't have stopped running until he hit the next county.

Captain
07-16-2015, 06:51 AM
What Eddie said. The guy called the Wildlife department. If he had malice in his heart he would have never done that. All they did was make sure no one else calls them about a problem....
And Thumphead you just SDing:D

Thumper
07-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Who me? ;)