PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap!

LJ3
07-15-2015, 08:21 PM
I gotta make some bidness decisions here purt near soon. For some reason I have people booking the everloving crap out of me for this year and next year. In the last 30 days I've booked... shit, I don't even know. A ton of weddings and portrait sessions.

Either my hard work and networking have paid off, my stuff is gaining more popularity, or the universe is just responding to what I'm putting out there. Maybe a little of all of those things.

The thing is... Now. I'm starting to think about pulling it all back a little, giving myself a little more time for the family and myself. Even though I set out to do exactly what is occurring now.

I'm gonna have to drink on this and see what bubbles up to the top.

Any sage advice or opinions are appreciated.

Thumper
07-15-2015, 09:30 PM
I know persactly what you mean Ticboy. Been there, done that. When I started my business, I was afraid of the possibility of failure and eventual bankruptcy. Where you come out ahead, you still have a "real" job to fall back on. But, my business took off and grew by leaps and bounds. I found that honesty and hard work really pays off. BUT ... as the business grew, I soon reached a point I couldn't handle it all by myself and started hiring help. Before I knew it, I had 5 trucks and 6 employees on the road. That sounds all good, but I soon found I had no "personal" time. I finally decided there was more to life than making a buck and decided to cut back.

I let ALL my help go and decided to take nothing but the gravy and let any other "start-ups" out there have the "marginal" work. It was the best decision I ever made. I don't know what I'd do in your shoes. I assume you enjoy the photography business ... but right now, it's simply a "side business". Something you "do for enjoyment in your spare time". Do you want to make it your primary business? Would you ever consider leaving your regular job to grow your photography business? You eventually reach the point, where you are now, that decisions have to be made. A business can end up "owning" you, instead of the other way around.

On one hand ... it's a great thing ... on the other hand, it can drastically affect your personal life ... and not necessarilly in a good way. It's not all about the money, although the money is nice!

Chicken Dinner
07-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Let me explain this to you real simple like, raise your prices - a bunch. Work less, spend more time with family and make more money.

Buckrub
07-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Hire CD.

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Let me explain this to you real simple like, raise your prices - a bunch. Work less, spend more time with family and make more money.

This.

BKB

Captain
07-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Ditto....

LJ3
07-15-2015, 11:26 PM
That's very near the top of my list of options :)

Thumper
07-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Basically, I said the same as the above suggestions ... mine was simply buried in a "Thump post"! :D

I let ALL my help go and decided to take nothing but the gravy and let any other "start-ups" out there have the "marginal" work.

Translation: I stuck with the high paying jobs and left the low-priced stuff to my competitors. ;)