PDA

View Full Version : What'cha think? Should I forget about it?

Thumper
07-16-2015, 01:36 PM
More forgotten pics found while cleaning out my desk drawer today ....

About 10 years ago, I was in Thailand and decided I wanted to start a little import/export business. I had lots of ideas, but one really stuck in my head and I couldn't shake it, so I figured that's what I would pursue. I wanted to find a small village where the wages would be low and hire some wood carvers to make wooden motorcycles for me. I'd export them from Thailand and import them here, then market them. I traveled to N.W. Thailand and talked to some locals who pointed me toward a small village about 50 miles out of Chiang Mai. They said the village is full of "wood carvers"! So, I hired a small pick-up and headed out through the jungle and to the village. I talked to some people to get a feel for them, settled on 3-4 I really liked and thought I could deal with, told them what I wanted and that I'd be back in 6 months to see what they had for me (samples).

I told them I wanted them to be all wood ... no screws/nails/pins/etc. On my return trip, here are some of the examples they had for me:

5116 5117

5118 5119

I purchased one to bring home and show it around to see what sort of reaction I could get. I really liked this guy's work and we got along really well. He had a young wife, a baby girl and was excited about the possibility of us working something out. Here's the one I liked (they were ALL very similar ... but all were handmade and different).

5120 5121

Ok, when I purchased that sample, he told me when I came back, he'd have a REAL surprise for me. He'd already been working on it, but didn't want me to see it until he was finished with it. I was going back to Thailand every 6 months at the time, so I told him we'd hook up when I returned.

Upon my return, he rolled this mamma-jamma out for me! My eyeballs about popped out'ta their sockets! He said he could make Harleys, Hondas ... whatever I wanted. Just give him a pic of what I want and he'll duplicate it in full-scale! I was hooked. My plan was to bring one home, put it in a covered trailer and hit every major motorcycle dealer in the country, taking orders as I went. I had visions of one in every showroom!

BUT ... I came home, the economy went into the toilet along with my existing business ... and I had to start driving a truck to make a living. Next thing I knew, I was in the hospital fighting for my life. I've never returned to Thailand since that last visit to the village. Once I stumbled on these pics this morning, I started getting the itch again. First I'd have to get to the point I can travel again, plus I'd have to start over from scratch ... but it seems like it could be a fun thing to pursue. Or do ya' think I'm dreamin'?

Remember, this thing is 100% wood ... and it rolls/steers.

airbud7
07-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Wow!!!, just Wow!.....Sound like a great idea Thump...

Bwana
07-16-2015, 02:01 PM
That is absolutely incredible artisanship on the carver's part, but is it truly financially feasible to pay him to carve the bike, then ship it over here, and still sell at a profit. (Obviously you've thought that through already...my bad)

Another question that comes to mind, how is the wood going to handle the changes in temperature and humidity? The bike looks awesome while in it's home atmosphere but how will it weather the changing weather conditions throughout it's journey to the end-buyers locale?

Thumper
07-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Bwana, I worked out all the costs and would ship via container. My SEAL buddy and I were going to go into it as partners. We could ship cheaper to L.A. or San Francisco (where he lives), or for a bit more, I could bring it on in to Tampa. We had all the logistics worked out and I have the old paperwork in a file here. BUT ... all that is based on old figures and I'd have to basically start over ... but the legwork is all part of the fun. At least I have an income now and this would be no more than a "side job" ... kinda like eBay is now.

Oh, as for the wood ... these guys pretty much know what they're doing. Also, most, if not all, of the parts are sealed.

Thumper
07-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Note: As I said, ALL wood. The black piping and brake/throttle cables, for example, are made of black painted vines.

Buckrub
07-16-2015, 05:12 PM
$2.75 million.

You just need to sell one!

Seriously. .....