PDA

View Full Version : New Blood

Nandy
07-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Ok y'all. For some time I have hear the desire to bring new blood to the forum. I have been thinking about it and I believe that as a collective we can come up with a plan. We have few choices, one is to bring newbies in by invitation and another is by providing content that those lurkers out there will care about. Lets brainstorm here, the bulk of the group met in AO and what got us to that site was the fishing and hunting threads/pictures, not so much the political talk (not saying we need to stop, it would not be GH without it) so we need to start thinking of a compromise. I think we need to start writing our fishing, hunting reports, shooting events and alike. Some do this more than others, some might not have the time to do it at all, that is fine, but those that have the time start taking pictures, videos and writing your adventures. Heck, look back in your hd, I think anything from 2013 to up to date is valid and if it is something unique then when it happened should not matter much. I mean, im sure we all know there are other boards other than campfire, right?

Any other inputs?

BarryBobPosthole
07-21-2015, 09:42 PM
We can do that if you want to. But I'll just say that GH is what we make it. I'm all for more hunting and fishing posts. But it is July. This is a pretty seasonal lull in outdoor stuff.

BKB

No-till Boss
07-21-2015, 09:50 PM
I thought the board has been kinda lively as of late .

LJ3
07-21-2015, 10:16 PM
I'll defer to what youse guys want but honestly, I'm just fine with how things are now. I wouldn't mind some controlled immigration (see what I did there?) but that's about it for me. If we started getting more users and forums and all that I would want to make sure the campfire stays just like it is.

Just my $.02

Nandy
07-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Well, I might have just misunderstood some previous comments. I will take it we remain status quo, if anyone thinks we need the change it can be brought up then.

BarryBobPosthole
07-21-2015, 10:44 PM
We've all made promises we'd stop talking about politics and religion and such but they don't last long. Its usually Thump or Captain that brings that stuff up anyway.

Been that way since the beginning. Not sure why.

BKB

No-till Boss
07-21-2015, 10:46 PM
We've all made promises we'd stop talking about politics and religion and such but they don't last long. .

BKB

That always cracks me up too !

Nandy
07-21-2015, 10:51 PM
If there were no politics or religion post here there would not be much content. I was not really after getting that change, that is what GH does, I just misunderstood some comments. time for me to go home, until tomorrow y'all....

BarryBobPosthole
07-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Nandy, your input is just as good as anybody else's. I'll try to tone it down. I'll roll a doobie and we'll talk about the northern lights.

BKB

Thumper
07-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Yep, we all pretty much met at A/O, but we left there because ... well, those of us who didn't get ejected anyway ... ended up here because A/O was ... ummm, A/O! They were a well-funded, sponsored site, but who had the last laugh? A/O went into the toilet and we're still kicking after 18 years! Considering 99.99% of us are techie-illiterate, yet have somehow managed to finance and maintain (thanks to members like you) this joint ourselves ... well, I think it says a lot. Obviously we're doing SOMETHING right.

BUT ... we have lost a lot of members to attrition also and new blood is rare. Heck, for the last couple years, a newbie couldn't have dropped in anydamnway due to technical issues we couldn't seem to fix. I'm all for going with the flow and am open to what anyone here wants. We have a special place here which is loosly tied together by hunting and fishing, but there's also more to life than that. To be honest, the "Campfire" is just that, we could easily be a hunting party in the North Woods somewhere in Canuckia, but at the end of the day, we hang out around the campfire and talk about ANYTHING that comes up, hunting/fishing related or not. We DO have a fishing forum ... I check it out about 2-3 times/year. Believe it or not, we once had a hunting forum also but it got shit-canned somewhere along the way. Frankly, I'm not sure why the fishing forum survived other than I think P-hole wanted to moderate it and pump interest into the forum. Me? I'm all for posting EVERYTHING in the Campfire forum (at least I'd see the fishing posts that way!).

That said, there's nothing wrong with new blood ... it'd be a great bonus if they hunt and fish .... but frankly, I could give a rat's ass! Heck, we'll talk shit with ANYBODY ... even uber-Liberals like Helen fit right in here. Well, kind'a sort'a! :D

Captain
07-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Its usually Thump or Captain that brings that stuff up anyway. Been that way since the beginning. Not sure why. BKB

Hey! How did I get thrown under the bus? I NEVER bring up politics, but I do many times add my wisdom to the thread... :-)
I always post fish pictures in Campfire so folks will see em and in a week or so move them over to the fishing forum out of respect of Posty.
Newbies would be great if they come along. I think now that Nandy has fixed the registration thing and done all the software updates perhaps a newbie or lurker will stumble in from time to time. We all owe Nandy a BIG thanks for taking this on.
It also takes a special person to fit into this group. So in a way it's probably good that someone comes along and lerks awhile.
I'm for whatever the group wants to do.
And it ain't to hot to fish for REAL fisherman. It just takes getting up early and getting out. I fished 4 days last week, 3 of them all day. And it was bumping 100 each day.

Thumper
07-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Hey! How did I get thrown under the bus? I NEVER bring up politics, but I do many times add my wisdom to the thread...

Well, I was kinda thinkin' the same thing about myownfineself. I can't imagine how I got lumped in with YOUR SD'ing self! ;)

LJ3
07-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Nandy, you seem to defer to my opinion as what we'll do as a group. Please don't do that! Your input and every person here that has an opinion counts just as much as mine, if not more. Just because I've helped on the back end of things doesn't mean squat. Lots of others have helped way more than I have!

I wouldn't mind getting new blood in here. Just the thought of hundreds showing up at once causes me a little anxiety that campfire would stop being campfire.

Len

Buckrub
07-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Nandy, can I ask you something???

Is there something underlying that you are really asking??? Is there something here that you think seriously needs radically changed? Maybe I'm reading too much into your post.

I know this..........I'm very glad you showed back up, and I'm uber glad you know how to fix stuff and are willing to do so. I am no longer on any Committee, but I'd vote to triple your pay! Seriously!

As to new blood.........I suspect every new blood is a person, just like 'we' are persons (people?). I have met a great many of you, and I've not met a bad one yet. There have been a FEW (very few) bad ones........but they don't last. So, I am not worried about a new person causing problems with 'us', and I don't see anyone coming in here and stopping us from being us. I'm fine with us, and I'm fine with more of us.

Either way.

But........If there's a real problem, let's discuss it.

HideHunter
07-22-2015, 10:06 AM
It ain't gonna happen... and here's why..

It also takes a special person to fit into this group. So in a way it's probably good that someone comes along and lurks awhile.

I visit a half-dozen sites (admittedly all the others are very much "Hook and/or Bullet" sites).. but this site is, and would be, the toughest group to "break in to". I love the hunting and fishing posts and, though it's still an underlying theme, it's no longer what the site is about. I agree we only need one forum. Quite often I just sit back and marvel at the diversity of the little nucleus here. I appreciate it.

Buckrub
07-22-2015, 10:08 AM
teee heeee heeee

Gene said "little nucleus"..........

HideHunter
07-22-2015, 10:31 AM
see - even if it's through sarcasm and humiliation - I learn something new every day.. :booty

Buckrub
07-22-2015, 12:21 PM
And there it is!!!! :occasion

LJ3
07-22-2015, 12:37 PM
see - even if it's through sarcasm and humiliation - I learn something new every day.. :booty

Isn't that the definition of marriage?

Wait... what were we talking about?

quercus alba
07-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Does this software have an ignore feature for either a person or a topic? I would love to be able to ignore any topics about politics, nascar, baseball or Ohio st football.

unless they lose of course. and of course I could put eddie on ignore when the white perch were spanwning

Nandy
07-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Nandy, can I ask you something???

Is there something underlying that you are really asking??? Is there something here that you think seriously needs radically changed? Maybe I'm reading too much into your post.

I will answer your question and in a very direct way, Nope, nothing underlying. I somehow got the impression that fixing the recaptcha was on part to allow new users because there was a need for new users. I read a few post too that there was some desire to attract more users. Somehow in my head that became one of the priorities for the site. Since it is not I am not putting any energy on this, we have other stuff to do and frankly I also believe it takes a special person to want to belong in this group so unlike AO we are not cut for everyone. These users will show on their own.

As far as the religion and politics I don't care how much of that stuff you guys post. I don't care about it and click the link just so they dont show as unread and move on, I dont loose sleep on it, I dont get offended, for most I dont even read it and if I do I generally don't get past the second sentence... I treat is as when one of my coworkers want to talk about work when we are not in the office. I go "unhu, okay, fine" as my eyes stares in the distance! lol!

As general rule what I type is exactly what i mean.

BTW, i wrote all that with a grin on my face.

Lenster, you opinion means shite to me.. lol! JK, I reacted to all 3 responses and just left it as if later we think we need to make an emphasis on recruiting we can do that then. I think as off now we are all pretty happy with the membership we have and at times might even be anxious about what adding membership could do to the tone of the board.

Quercus, you can ignore members all day long, but once I find out who it is I will un-ignore it just to mess with you for a week or so... lol!

Now pansies, the day you piss me off you will know either on public or private message and it takes quite a bit nowadays to do that. To be honest, I have yet to see something posted here from a member that will piss me off....

LJ3
07-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Yep, he's still one of us!

I like that people can register now. That was HUGE.

quercus alba
07-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Nandy, it'd be easy to find, just start with the letter "N"
:toothy

Nandy
07-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Ohh! im deeply offended! lol!

BarryBobPosthole
07-22-2015, 04:57 PM
We have a bunch of lurkers who'd be the best people to get to speak up. I think most of 'em though don't want the hassle of some of the conversations we have though.

We need to give some sort of of personality test to new members. If you aren't batshit crazy, then you don't qualify.
BKB

Thumper
07-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I don't know ... if that were the case, we wouldn't have run Mulewriter off. ;)

Nandy
07-22-2015, 06:12 PM
hmm, I remember her, she was special in her own way but I never thought of her as a trouble maker... Except for the time she fetch that lawyer on Helen for defamation of character... I thought that was odd....

BarryBobPosthole
07-22-2015, 06:32 PM
And prolly had Ken Curtis for her character witness.

BKB

Nandy
07-22-2015, 06:36 PM
I dont recall that Ken character...

quercus alba
07-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Festus from Gunsmoke

Captain
07-22-2015, 07:04 PM

quercus alba
07-22-2015, 07:19 PM
just looking at him it's hard to believe his singing voice, google sons of the pioneers and listen to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWR6FLnPack

Thumper
07-22-2015, 07:31 PM
That's the same thing I always thought about Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle).

BarryBobPosthole
07-22-2015, 07:31 PM
I was just listening to Twilight on the Trail today in the truck.

BKB