PDA

View Full Version : Whoa

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2015, 08:20 PM
http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2014/07/prepare-to-be-disgusted-mayfly-hatch-underway/

Thumper
07-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Damn! How do ya' keep air cleaners and radiators from getting clogged up? I remember we used to head up to Canada to go Walleye fishing around this time of year and would many times catch the mayfly hatch. It made for some pretty miserable fishing at times. You sure learned to breath through your nose ONLY!

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2015, 08:57 PM
I've seen the locator with just a black screen when the mayflies are coming up through the water column. Fishing generally sucks but you can find walleyes in shallow water then.

Bkb

Thumper
07-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah, we'd still catch fish ... by miserable, I meant dealing with the flies. Heck, we have it bad enough down here with the love bugs in April and October (generally). At least they don't last long.

No-till Boss
07-23-2015, 09:38 PM
There is a difference, ladybugs are bright red in color with black spots. Asian lady beetles may have pale to dark orange coloring with or without dark spots.The biggest distinction between the two is that the Asian lady beetle will hibernate for the winter, meaning that an insect infestation in the fall is even more likely to occur.

Thumper
07-23-2015, 11:45 PM
You been hittin' the sauce tonight NTB? Lady bugs?

Well, there's been no mention of lady bugs in this thread, or do they eat mayflies?

Now that you mention lady bugs, sometimes when I'd go to Ohio, they'd have lady bugs EVERYWHERE! They were impossible to keep out of the house. I've never seen anything like it. Heck, I can't remember what time of year it was. Spring Gobbler season possibly?

No-till Boss
07-24-2015, 06:09 AM
You been hittin' the sauce tonight NTB? Lady bugs?

Well, there's been no mention of lady bugs in this thread, or do they eat mayflies?

Now that you mention lady bugs, sometimes when I'd go to Ohio, they'd have lady bugs EVERYWHERE! They were impossible to keep out of the house. I've never seen anything like it. Heck, I can't remember what time of year it was. Spring Gobbler season possibly?

I guess I was thump, my aunt lived in Florida and I was thinking about the October love bugs .......my bad !

Thumper
07-24-2015, 06:41 AM
Oh good, now I can take the look of confusion off my face. :D

Yeah, they're a real mess. Love bugs suck. Weird, I was born and raised here and don't remember ever seeing one as a kid.

airbud7
07-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Wow, Thats a lot of Bugs...

No-till Boss
07-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Oh good, now I can take the look of confusion off my face. :D

Yeah, they're a real mess. Love bugs suck. Weird, I was born and raised here and don't remember ever seeing one as a kid.

That's because it's not a ladybug, it's the invasive species asian beetle that was introduced in to this country in the 1980's .

BarryBobPosthole
07-24-2015, 09:57 AM
They were in Florida in the mid 70's. That's where the first and only 'bras' on cars, mostly sports cars, I ever saw were. The rumor then was that they'd arrived in banana shipments from South America, but that was when we weren't as informed as we are now on the innerwebs!

BKB

No-till Boss
07-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Sounds about right, truth be known, that's probably the way it actually happened and the gov. tried to take credit for it.

LJ3
07-24-2015, 11:16 AM
That many of anything is disturbing.