PDA

View Full Version : Part 2

Sunshine
07-25-2015, 06:57 PM
deleted

BarryBobPosthole
07-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Manual machinists are rare these days, as most stuff is done with CAD/CAM ran systems. I'd think the demand is fairly strong and the pay high too.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
07-25-2015, 08:03 PM
My ex was a CPA and one of her clients were a really nice retired couple that had a machine shop where he did contract tool and die work, mostly for the oil field. i know working part time he was clearing 90+ a year and that was in the 80s. He had about 40 years worth of business contacts though to draw on so he was pretty much in demand and ended up working way more than he wanted to. A skilled machinist does stuff that computers can't do.

BKB

Thumper
07-25-2015, 09:05 PM
My H/S buddy and I both went to college to major in Mechanical Engineering. In fact, we were dorm roommates. I didn't finish school because I'd planned on getting my military obligation out of the way, then return to finish school on the G.I. Bill. That didn't happen for me, but he stayed and got his degree. He ended up as a machinist for MTD (as in lawn mowers, etc). At home, he always had a small machine shop set up in his garage for little projects and side money from doing jobs for friends/neighbors. He retired last year, but now works harder than he did when he was employed as his little "project shop" has turned into a full-time job! Plus, MTD still calls him in (as a sub-contractor) when they have a major problem because he's so familiar with the older equipment that he spent his whole adult life working with.

Some people just don't know how to retire!

Buckrub
07-25-2015, 09:52 PM
I do.

Thumper
07-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Dang Sunny ... I'd at least have him pay the property taxes on that section ... I'm serious.

No-till Boss
07-26-2015, 06:30 AM
I think you've made a good decision, and one that's in the best interest of your land for now.

Captain
07-26-2015, 07:23 AM
I think you've made a good decision, and one that's in the best interest of your land for now.
Yep that was a good move Sunny. Good neighbors are priceless.

Thumper
07-26-2015, 08:03 AM
$25? Wow. I guess I have no clue what the taxes are like there ... I've lived in the city too long! I'll have to agree with the others ... good move. Heck, I have to pay $100/mo. just to have my grass cut (no other work) around the house ... and that's a LOW price from a neighbor!

No-till Boss
07-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Sorry Sunshine, I forgot......will do, or will try.....