PDA

View Full Version : How's ya'lls pecan trees doing???....

Big Muddy
07-26-2015, 09:34 AM
I've got about 50 pecan trees scattered around on my place....this is the second year in a row that they have shed all their pecans, too early....never had this problem before....it's certainly not from lack of early spring moisture....my crop consultant said he thinks it's caused from this extreme heat, we are experiencing, but he's not an expert about pecans....sure gonna miss getting fresh pecans, again.....anybody else had any problems???

No-till Boss
07-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Giving the fact that you had plenty of water. My guess would be two things. The tress might have over-loaded and are shedding back to a normal carrying capacity. Secondly, giving the better than average growing conditions, early, there is a chance that your fertilization is not up to your capacity given the abundance of moisture you had to set the fruit.

Do you remember how your tress responded in 2010, we were much hotter and drier a lot longer that year ?

No-till Boss
07-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Another thing I just thought of, Mississippi is having some problems with aphids right now. I got this from reading some scouting resports from all over the mid-south . That could be somewhat of a stretch, but giving you're in dry conditions, it something that could be looked at too.

Thumper
07-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Dang! Ya' had me worried for a minute there, so I opened a pack. They seem to be doing fine in Florida! ;)

http://dryhousefruits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Diamond-Shelled-Pecans-6-Ounce-Bags-Pack-of-4-4.jpg

Seriously, we have pecan trees all around here, but I haven't looked to see how they're doing. There are none on my property so I haven't paid any attention.

BarryBobPosthole
07-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I have several mature pecans but haven't seen anything like that. You have papershells or natives?

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
07-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Sunshine, I had to go trim my peach trees this year back to about one peach every half a foot or o because their branches were loaded down like that. Too much of a good thing I guess!

BKB

Big Muddy
07-26-2015, 02:05 PM
You have papershells or natives?BKB

Mixture of Stewart, Mahan, and Desireable....the Desireables seem to have shed the worst, followed by the Mahans....Stewarts are a fairly hardly variety, and have faired somewhat better.

BarryBobPosthole
07-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Some tasty varieties there!

Makes me humgry for a pecan pie!

BKB

DeputyDog
07-26-2015, 02:23 PM
My labs used to eat all the pears off of the pear tree I had at an old house. They also used to go out into the cornfield and bring home ears of corn. The guy that was farming it used to bitch all the time about the damage the deer and coon were doing to his corn. Never did tell him that part of it was the dogs. ;)

No-till Boss
08-08-2015, 06:17 AM
http://buff.ly/1JRCopq

Captain
08-08-2015, 06:45 AM
No till if Thumper reads " Reasons for Early Nut Drop" this whole thread will go in a different direction. I'm sure he will have some story about something that happened in some Far East place...

No-till Boss
08-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Lmao....... true !

Thumper
08-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Go get your stool and .... oh nevermind, you already know the drill. ;)

airbud7
08-08-2015, 09:28 AM
hahaha^ :lmao