PDA

View Full Version : A/C Out

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Of all times!! Central air is out. Will be over 100 today.

It kicked on at 6:45 a.m. and ran a bit, I felt it cooling.......then it sounded as if a limb had fallen into the fan. The outside unit is about 2 feet from my head in bed....... and that lasted a couple of seconds, fan blowing and cooling the whole time.......and then it sounded like a bigger limb fell into it.......and it blew a second and went off.

I got up and went outside. No limbs. Distinct burnt smell inside the cover of outside unit. Now it won't come back on. I moved thermostat down just to see if it would kick on, and it won't.

Called my guy, he said it would be noon before he could get here, at the earliest.

Have the 6 y/o grandson!! Terrible timing.

Thumper
07-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Take a close look at the fan. Sounds like the blade (or ever the motor) came loose and the blade jammed causing the motor to burn up. OR, it could have just gotten hot and cut itself off before burning up. I'm sure the noise you heard was the fan blades hitting the shroud. The big question is why? Take a look at it and see if anything looks amis. It "could" be an easy fix. Worst case scenario, a new motor ... you can do it in about 20 mins! (I assume the inside air-handler is working fine?)

Ummm, nevermind ... I just noticed this is a Buckrub thread ... wait for the a/c guy! :hair

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 08:52 AM
I already have, twice. The fan is not hitting anything. I think that was the first thought of what the sound was, but it's not that.

There is liquid at bottom when I look down through the cover. I first thought it was water (condensation), but now I think maybe it is oil.

This is a brand new, entire heat pump unit, put in June 2013. I don't know the warranty, I'm sure it's out. But I am not getting into it. Robert will be here around noon he said. I can live till then.......the wife and grandson can go next door to mother's if it gets too hot, or they can go 'camping' in the camper......it's plugged in, in the driveway.

BarryBobPosthole
07-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear it! Its a hot mamma jamma today. My main unit went out last August. Ended up costing me big buckaroonies. Be sure to ask about rebates as there are still some big rebates for improving efficiency. Hopefully, you won't have to replace the furnace that goes along with it but I would bet you would.
The good news is technology has improved these units a lot and you'll really notice a difference in the upgrade.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Sounds like the bearings burned out of the condensing fan motor....that liquid you see on the floor of your unit is oil, which leaked outta the motor, when the bearings and seal went fubar....just had my motor replaced last week for the same reason.

Thumper
07-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Yep, my guess is the motor went out and the blade was hitting the shroud. Heck, I'd sure suspect it's still in warranty. Of course, if your luck is like mine, the warranty was two years! Good luck with it. That sucks.

Thumper
07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Dang Postie! The unit is only 2 years old!

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 09:05 AM
He never reads what I write. It's ingrained in his DNA. If he did, he'd have to admit he's wrong on occasion, and you know he ain't doin' that! :friday

But this DOES SUCK, just two years old!!! I was told this was the last unit that is truly built in the U.S. Right now, I can't even think of the name of it.

Temp is rising..........

BarryBobPosthole
07-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Well I posted my response before I saw what you posted about the age.

Excuse the fuck out of me.

BKB

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 09:12 AM
You're excused.

I'm hot. Taking it out on someone.

Thumper
07-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Awww damn! You let him off too easily! :stirthepot

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 09:31 AM
He's my buddy.

The breaker for compressor was tripped. I flicked it back on, and it came on...........but made the same wild sound. It's not the fan.....the fan is unobstructed. Sounds like the motor, but hard to tell because it's hard to leave it on long enough to run outside and listen to what it's doing. Also, the breaker sounds like it's about to catch on flipping fire.........it's 'sizzling' or something. So, I turned breaker off.......

Off my pay grade. Waiting on Robert.

Thumper
07-28-2015, 09:32 AM
When it rains, it pours!

Lynn was fixing dinner last night and hollered my name. She sounded a bit "stressed", so I got my butt in there pretty fast. One of the hinges on a cabinet door over the kitchen counter broke and she had a pile of plates in one hand, while trying to support the half-hanging door with the other. Crap! I ran for a screwdriver and removed the door completely. My main thought was, I wonder if I'll be able to match this 27-year old hinge since there are elebenty-bazillion others just like it all over the kitchen! I counted 14 cabinet doors with this same hinge. Oh well, I set the door in the diningroom and figured I'd get around to hunting down a replacement one of these days. ;)

I walked into my office this morning and turned on my desk lamp (two-bulb flourescent type) and only one bulb lit up. I jiggled and twisted, took it out, looked at it, re-installed it ... nothing. And I have no spare. No big deal, I'll pick one up next time I'm out and about.

Ok, I'm getting ready to head out to the Toyota dealer this morning to get my truck serviced and I step into the bathroom to shave. I slide the drawer out to grab my razor and the damn drawer nearly falls out onto the floor! WTF?? The little plastic roller thingy that fits into the guide on the drawer slider broke off and the drawer just flops around. I removed the drawer and set it on the floor next to the bathtub.

Damn! I'm jinxed! This place is falling apart! It could be worse ... at least the a/c is still working. (knock on wood) At any rate, it looks like a trip to Lowes or Home Depot is now on my list once I leave the Toyota dealer. :(

Parts in hand and I'm ready to head out. Wish me luck!

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 09:42 AM
See, y'all??

Other folks have foibles too. Just takes some coaxing to get 'em to report 'em! :rockon

Thumper
07-28-2015, 09:45 AM
The things breaking ain't the "foible", it's the repair phase that's the fun part to read about. You're cheating by calling a handyman! ;)

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 09:47 AM
It's what Cappy and Eddie tell me to do all the time............hire someone to fix stuff........stay in hotels, eat out, don't cook, don't install anything.....let someone else do it.

So, I'm making my two buddies happy.

Temp in house up to 80 and rising.........

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Fixed. Capacitor burned up. But not the normal way, bulging and just failed. It literally was on fire and burned. Wires and parts all around it burned up. Good thing the breaker tripped and stopped it. He said heat does it, and there's not much you can do about it. I know Jimbo has replaced several of them, and I could have replaced it, but not redone all those wires that I didn't know where they went....... anyway, it's done, cool again.

Cards01
07-28-2015, 01:03 PM
good deal

Big Muddy
07-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Cappy and I congratulate you for calling the man!!! ;)

Thumper
07-28-2015, 03:17 PM
You got off easy! Did you get a clarification as to what the warranty is ... (or was)?

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Yes. 10 yrs on compressor. 5 yrs on motor. 1 yr on electrical parts like capacitor.

Thumper
07-28-2015, 03:42 PM
That's how my luck usually runs. :(

LJ3
07-28-2015, 03:50 PM
I almost stepped on about 14 toads last night on an evening stroll with my woman. Does that count as a foible?

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 03:52 PM
No.

Thumper
07-28-2015, 03:56 PM
I almost stepped on about 14 toads last night on an evening stroll with my woman. Does that count as a foible?

You prolly dated 14 toads before you finally FOUND your woman! That was a foible! ;)

Big Muddy
07-28-2015, 04:05 PM
No, that was a day'um MIRACLE!!! ;)

LJ3
07-28-2015, 04:13 PM
True story, Eddie!

Nandy
07-28-2015, 04:24 PM
caps are like $5.00 or so. I had to replace mine before quite a few times. I had to end up changing my unit a couple of years ago... thanks to ebay and craigslist!

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 05:06 PM
This capacitor was $55.00.......he went to supply house to buy it, and I saw the ticket.

BarryBobPosthole
07-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Glad your back to coolin your heels.

BKB

Buckrub
07-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Took the boys (grandson and his cousin) to Little Rock to trampoline place. Truck says 104.......... House is 78.........livable, but 'cooling my jets' ain't really it.