PDA

View Full Version : Bet you always wondered about this....

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Impeccably referenced.

BKB

The top cock within a group always gets to herald the break of dawn. And after he goes, the rest of the roosters crow in order of descending rank, according to findings published in Scientific Reports this week. Crowing out of turn is a cock-a-doodle-don’t.

Roosters have been announcing daybreak for people since 2600 B.C. at least, but there’s still a lot that we don’t know about this phenomenon. Researchers recently discovered that their crowing mechanism is regulated by an internal biological clock. And we know that chickens are very social and that they develop these so-called pecking orders: Higher ranking birds have first dibs on food, mating, and resources like nests and roosting places. This dominance hierarchy starts with one chicken pecking all of the other chickens. Then the second dominant chicken pecks all of the chickens (except for the dominant chicken, of course). The least dominant chicken remains harmless.

To investigate if social hierarchy has an effect on crowing, Nagoya University’s Tsuyoshi Shimmura and colleagues studied groups of four roosters, fully matured at 30 weeks old. They gave the roosters different colored leg bands, and then kept them in a group cage to determine hierarchy. The team recorded the winners and losers of every aggressive encounter, which ranged from chasing and threatening to aggressive pecking. The roosters were then placed into individual cages.

According to the team’s observations, the highest-ranking rooster crows first every morning, and he’s followed by subordinate roosters in descending order of rank. The lead rooster determines the timing of pre-dawn crowing, and while this start time varies from day to day, lower ranking roosters always start crowing right after the crowing of the top rooster. When the top-ranking rooster was removed, however, the second-ranking rooster became the first to crow, suggesting that it is the top bird’s presence that suppresses the crowing of others.

Furthermore, based on implanted data loggers, the team found that body temperature rhythms differ among individual birds. So because they have to wait for the top rooster’s first crow every morning, the subordinate roosters are actually compromising their circadian clock for social reasons.

Thumper
07-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Interesting ... who'da thunk it?

quercus alba
07-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Can't imagine "Top Cock" got by thump that easily

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 12:43 PM
It was a deflated football thrown right in his breadbasket and he fumbled it.

BKB

Thumper
07-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Youse dufes know where the stools are stored ... I think you should be headed over that way.

Nandy
07-29-2015, 03:19 PM
I want to eat chicken now...

airbud7
07-29-2015, 03:34 PM
True stuff about the Roosters...

Good friend of mine feeding his birds...He has a name for every chick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaDHCsPJouI

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 03:39 PM
If I had chickens I'm not sure I run a rooster with them. I never have been overly fond of rooster juice in my eggs when I put 'em in the pan.

BKB

airbud7
07-29-2015, 03:58 PM
If I had chickens I'm not sure I run a rooster with them. I never have been overly fond of rooster juice in my eggs when I put 'em in the pan.

BKB

I'm sure the rooster juice will come off when you wash off the chicken sh*t......;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 04:15 PM
It ain't on 'em, its in 'em!

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Sometimes the spot will be red. But not to worry! The leftist foodies have made sure you know if the eggs you are buying are fertile or not! :stirthepot

quercus alba
07-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Does that spot make it the equivalent of chicken veal?

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 05:06 PM
That's one way to look at it.

When its got one of those spots by the way, it isn't an egg, its a chicken, per our earlier discussions about when life begins.

BKB

Nandy
07-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Pick the new eggs daily, that was we used to do, then shine them before moving on. Had to be done quickly, them hens will jump your ass... These were free range chicken we had, we promoted nesting sites that were used year after year.

Buckrub
07-29-2015, 05:40 PM
That's one way to look at it.

When its got one of those spots by the way, it isn't an egg, its a chicken, per our earlier discussions about when life begins.

BKB

But chicken murder at any point in their life is just peachy ok.

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Its true that the chickens some of us had growing up that ate bugs and ticks and picked the maggots out of the cow shit were a hell of a lot tastier than the ones we get in the store. Free range these days doesn't mean a Whole lot though.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Dang. You were there looking over the surgeon's shoulder? Or did you do it yourself!

Now you're making me queasy!

Is that where you got that fancy tobacco sack?

BKb

Nandy
07-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Its true that the chickens some of us had growing up that ate bugs and ticks and picked the maggots out of the cow shit were a hell of a lot tastier than the ones we get in the store. Free range these days doesn't mean a Whole lot though.

BKB

Tell me about it, we did a round up one time for a family party and of course, gizzards were in the menu... guess what came out alive of one, a roach.... I swore I would never ever eat gizzards but that lasted a few hours when I got the smell coming from grandma kitchen.... Chicken feet are another of my favorites...

quercus alba
07-29-2015, 06:10 PM
I don't get grossed out easily, a true connoisseur will try about anything. I'd love to spend about a month with Andrew Zimmern trying all kinds of exotic foods. Those big banana grubs rolled in palm leaves and roasted look yummy, eat em like a tube of toothpaste

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 06:20 PM
I've never et the foot. Almost everything else but the comb and the feathers.

I understand the Chinese like them. Not sure how they are prepared though.

BKB

LJ3
07-29-2015, 07:45 PM

BKB

I thought that was what the white glob attached to the yoke was. George Carlin done told me.

Thumper
07-29-2015, 09:37 PM
I have chicken feet probably a couple times a month on average. Good tasting, but a "little" bit of a pain to eat. Ya' can't be in a hurry, but GOOD they're tasty. ;)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sOcv4qtHb_U/hqdefault.jpg

Nandy
07-29-2015, 09:38 PM
I love the texture of them.

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Do you just suck the hide off of them, Jim?

Enquiring minds, ya know.

BKB

Thumper
07-29-2015, 09:51 PM
Yeah, kinda sorta. They're nothing much but skin, tendons, bone and cartilage ... ya' just kind suck on 'em, roll the cartilage around in your mouth and spit out the hard pieces. It's kind of an art ... the tasty part is really how they're seasoned I suppose. Hard to explain really.

Most GOOD Chinese restaurants have 'em ... not the phoney Americanized ones.

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Most GOOD Chinese restaurants have 'em ... not the phoney Americanized ones.

You mean the leftist foodie ones?
BKB

Nandy
07-29-2015, 10:02 PM
I need to find one of those here in charlotte. So far all I can find is frog legs...

Thumper
07-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Nandy, check the listings for a good Chinese restaurant with Dim Sum. Chances are they'll have feet there.

Nandy
07-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Will do jim!