PDA

View Full Version : What yall think about the lion killing???....

Big Muddy
07-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Right or wrong, it still hurts the sport of hunting:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa/zimbabwe-lion-killed/

DeputyDog
07-29-2015, 03:05 PM
It amazes me the people that get into an uproar (hehe) over an animal, yet thinks it's ok to kill a million human babies a year in this country.

Nandy
07-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Too early to tell but if he was in it knowingly we need to ship him back and let them have their justice.

Booger
07-29-2015, 03:20 PM
I have no desire to hunt and kill a lion. But lets put this in perspective. We have a national wildlfe refuge south of us. If you maintain a foodplot and feeder on private land outside the refuge and a "well known" giant ass deer comes off the refuge and you shoot him standing in your foodplot, is that wrong? Another example of media blowing shit out of proportion, to me anyway....

Big Skyz
07-29-2015, 03:29 PM
I'm with Booger on this one. If I owned land next to a preserve or refuge, or bordered land that was managed for trophy sized bucks, I would do everything in my power to legally lure those big bucks onto my property. One would have to be brain damaged to not try. The hunter in Africa didn't do anything wrong except kill a well known animal. Had the exact same thing happened with a lesser known or unknown lion from the refuge nobody would care. It's a STUPID overblown story about nothing important.

Buckrub
07-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Let's worry about this a lot..........and ignore the killing of viable babies for convenience sake.

Sorry........but "we" are one screwed up buncha folks........

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Its much ado about not very much. I have no idea if he broke the hunting laws of that country. Sounds like they're after him though.

Just glad its not Cecil of Beany and Cecil. I love that big green guy.

BKB

Big Skyz
07-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Bucky, I'm pretty sure that is what I said in my last sentence. I just worded it a little different.

Nandy
07-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Were I disagree is that they crossed (at least is stated that way) into the preserve to lure the lion out of there. That is different than making your property more viable for the game therefore the game moving INTO your property.

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 04:19 PM
I take it this means that we should ignore all game poaching laws until we have made abortion illegal!

We should hunt on Sundays too!

BKB

Buckrub
07-29-2015, 04:23 PM
/HAHAHA You're the MASTER of "Let's don't waste time on silly problem A until we solve really big problem B"!!!!

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 04:34 PM
hey, I was only attempting to paraphrase what you said.

BKB

Nandy
07-29-2015, 05:04 PM
WE do hunt sundays down here...

HideHunter
07-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Were I disagree is that they crossed (at least is stated that way) into the preserve to lure the lion out of there. That is different than making your property more viable for the game therefore the game moving INTO your property.

There's so much misinformation in that "news" story.. but no where have I seen anything about crossing the park line. Yep - that's what they *want* to convey. Latest info I've seen is that they had a bait a mile and a half outside the park. The lion hit it. They shot him - and not with a crossbow.. "Passing the buck" the "reporter" said. When obtaining an outfitter for a hunt like that - you are relying on his expertise. Lion was 13 - on average they live to be 14. I agree with Sky - stupid and over-blown - and the only "importance" is as eddie said - it's fuel for propaganda and bad for the sport.

Nandy
07-29-2015, 05:25 PM
There's so much misinformation in that "news" story.. but no where have I seen anything about crossing the park line.

"They went hunting at night with a spotlight, and they spotted Cecil," Rodrigues said. "They tied a dead animal to their vehicle to lure Cecil out of the park, and they scented an area about half a kilometer from the park," or about 550 yards.

I guess it is open to debate if they saw Cecil while they were in the park or not. Either way, as I said in my first post, is too early to tell what the facts are if they are ever presented.... I hunt, I dont condemn the taking of the animal as long as the law was followed.

HideHunter
07-29-2015, 05:31 PM
I stand corrected. I missed that part.. If that happened it was unethical...

FooBang
08-04-2015, 10:11 PM
I would feel better if he ate it. I just don't get hunting for trophies. Keeping trophies? Sure. I try my best to eat everything I shoot and don't shoot anything I ain't gonna eat.

There's a meat shop in St. Pete where you can order exotic meats, including lion. The proprietor told me that lion's are regularly culled in the preserves and there is a long line for the meat. You can put a deposit on some lion meat, and when your number comes up, they send you a package. For all I know, it could be horse meat, but the story he told made sense.. Lions gonna get culled.

Chicken Dinner
08-04-2015, 10:18 PM
This from a guy who eats carp and coyote.:D

FooBang
08-04-2015, 10:20 PM
:) I weren't lying, CD! I eat what I catch.. Besides, you've never had my carp patties, so don't judge!

BarryBobPosthole
08-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Trophy hunting, or big game hunting or whatever you want to call it is not my cup of tea, and I think very often goes over the ethical line. At least it does MY ethical line which is not the same as everybody's. But it is another one of those things where other people get to make their own ethical choices and I thank our lucky stars that freedom exists. And its also one of those things that if we do it right, we don't sit in judgement when that happens. That's the hard part for everybody too.

This lion, Cecil we'll call him, was killed unethically by even the lowest of standards IF the stories of how he was taken are true. As Eddie said in the first post, it harms the entire sport of hunting. Baseball fans are fond of saying players should play in a way that has respect for the game. The same is true of hunting. In a perfect world, we'd do that because its the right thing to do. In the current far from perfect world we also have to be aware of how our sport is perceived. IMO if we ignore that reality then a lot of what we love to do won't survive.

BKB

FooBang
08-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Honest question, as I haven't been following the story: What was unethical about it? He had a lion permit didn't he?
I had heard that the guide and the landowner were brought up on poaching charges, but I haven't been able to figure out why..

No-till Boss
08-04-2015, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't mind having some lion balls to hang from my trailer hitch .....

BarryBobPosthole
08-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Well, spotlighting him at night wasn't a good idea. Coaxing him out of a national park where he was protected with a carcass tied to a truck is shady. If it was all above board, why the secrecy?

BKB

No-till Boss
08-04-2015, 11:14 PM
I heard Bill Cosby coaxed old Cecil out with some quaaludes ..... IDK

FooBang
08-04-2015, 11:23 PM
I didn't hear about all that. Does seem shady. I wonder if there are proper regulations in Zimbabwe?

If it were Cosby, he could have promised Cecil an acting career before bagging him.

BarryBobPosthole
08-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Part of the problem is the veracity of the information. Who knows at this point what is true. Lots of jumping to conclusions.

BKB

HideHunter
08-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Major problem is: we don't know the facts. We know what the media (and internet) is/are telling us.

Foo, word is, allegedly, the landowner did not have a lion "quota". LOs get so many permits for so many animals. Lion was either not among his.. or perhaps had been already filled.

It's not unusual to bait carnivores by dragging a bait - but I agree with Barry, if it is true they spot-lighted the cat knowing it was in the park - BS.

and we don't even know that Cecil wasn't eaten. Game is most often given to local villagers.

and if you're really interested - I found a site that has lion meat on sale. A 12 to 14 oz lion ribeye.. regularly $599 - now - $499..

Bwana
08-05-2015, 12:39 PM
What HH said.

No-till Boss
08-05-2015, 12:41 PM
I don't wanna know the facts, it happened in Zimbabwe, fuck em !

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Part of the problem is the veracity of the information. Who knows at this point what is true. Lots of jumping to conclusions.
BKB

But BKB, you said this..........isn't this YOUR jumping to conclusions? Seems to me it is.

This lion, Cecil we'll call him, was killed unethically by even the lowest of standards IF the stories of how he was taken are true. As Eddie said in the first post, it harms the entire sport of hunting.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Well, except for that 'IF the stories are true' part I guess.

I really don't see how that's jumping to conclusions.

But if it is, arrest me.

BKB

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 01:14 PM
My stinking badge expired.

Dang it.

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 01:17 PM
There's a very distinct implication.

There's two ways to imply bias:

*This lion, Cecil we'll call him, was killed unethically by even the lowest of standards IF the stories of how he was taken are true. As Eddie said in the first post, it harms the entire sport of hunting.

*The lion was killed ethically, IF the stories about him are not true. If they are not true, it harms those who are up in arms.

See? Both said "IF". But saying "IF" Doesn't hide your real conclusion.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 01:30 PM
I must be dismissive about this, mainly because I don't understand it.

BKB

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Oh go dismiss yourself.

I dismiss myself because I need to haul some stuff to the dump. In an air conditioned truck.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Have fun. Think on this while you're getting a flat at the dump.

Regardless of the ifs, and, or butts in what I said, before Cecil was killed big game hunting went along pretty much under the radar and only attracted the fringe anti activity that we're all used to seeing. It was after he was killed that the hue and cry was raised.

It really doesn't matter if the guy was right or wrong, ethical or unethical, legal or not legal, the attention that it has garnered for the entire sport of hunting has been negative, which was the only point Eddie made, and I agree. I'm not advocating that we, as hunters, jump on that bandwagon but its pretty much an undeniable truth that this hunt was as bad for hunting as anything we've seen in a long time.

And to give the public credit, the gal with the big tatas did things the right way and although she's catching some grief, its not much and is really only because of what this Minnesota dentist did. So the guy really effed up or he'd be under the radar too.

There's also an Arkansas dentist joke in there somewhere, I just can't think of it.

But continue to argue against reality all you want.

BKB

Bwana
08-05-2015, 02:35 PM
You retired folks sure get cantankerous. Is it because you are home arguing with the Mrs. all the time (we married guys know who wins those arguments) so now you feel the need to win at least ONE argument you're involved in? ;)

(Sorry couldn't resist)

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 02:39 PM
There ain't no winning around here, Bwana!

I'm just trying to educate Bucky.

BKb

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 02:40 PM
P: You're FOS. Email me directly to discuss further. :)

Bwana: Yes

Thumper
08-05-2015, 02:46 PM
You retired folks sure get cantankerous. Is it because you are home arguing with the Mrs. all the time (we married guys know who wins those arguments) so now you feel the need to win at least ONE argument you're involved in?

So, are you saying that once one retires, he's no longer married? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 02:47 PM
I don't argue with my missus. I'm waiting for her to be wrong first.

BKB

FooBang
08-05-2015, 02:56 PM
regularly $599 - now - $499..

Ooh! A bargain! /s

Thumper
08-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Ooh! A bargain! /s

I was hoping the decimal was in the wrong place ... ($5.99 - $4.99/lb. maybe?) ;)

Captain
08-05-2015, 05:13 PM
I don't argue with my missus. I'm waiting for her to be wrong first. BKB

That is profound!
However are they ever wrong?

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 05:18 PM
After 18 years with this'un, she hasn't been wrong yet.

BKB

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 05:19 PM
So far from a record it is laughable.

46.240304 for us.

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 07:58 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/opinion/in-zimbabwe-we-dont-cry-for-lions.html?_r=1

Thumper
08-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Well, I have a short "Thump story" ... but I'm not sure anyone here will believe it.

Short and sweet ... my sister-in-law was eaten by a tiger! Ok, I said it ...

I never knew her, but when I met my (ex) wife years ago (in Thailand), I asked about her family. She told me she used to have a sister, but she'd been killed when she was a little girl. When I asked what happened, she told me she was eaten by a tiger! She said there was a tiger that would sometimes wander out of the jungle and into the village at night. As a little girl she was terrified because they could sometimes here it "sniffing" under the door of their bungalo in the middle of the night. Their bungalo sat back off the dirt road leading through the village by about 30 yards and there was a path going through a bunch of mango and papaya trees from the bungalo to the road. One day her sister left the bungalo and they never saw her again. Along the path leading to the road, they found tiger tracks and signs of a scuffle, but her sister was never found.

So, now youse dufes have the rare distinction of knowing someone who had their SIL eaten by a tiger! ;)

Well, that's the assumption anyway and an educated guess.

Captain
08-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Wonder if he wants another one... ????

Thumper
08-05-2015, 08:31 PM
You have a SIL you need to get rid of? Heck, my wife is 64 years old now, so I'd imagine that was 55 or so years ago. How long do tigers live?

No-till Boss
08-05-2015, 08:32 PM
I was attacked by a cougar once ....... :thumbsup

Thumper
08-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Me too! I was 27, she was 39! ;)

Captain
08-05-2015, 08:33 PM
I was attacked by a cougar once ....... :thumbsup
I bet he took a cussin :D

Thumper
08-05-2015, 08:37 PM
I bet he took a cussin :D

I think you missed that one by a mile! :D

Captain
08-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Ok, I bet SHE took a cussin ;)

Thumper
08-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Nice ATTEMPTED save ... but I'd say she took sumpin' else! ;)

HideHunter
08-05-2015, 10:23 PM
I was hoping the decimal was in the wrong place ... ($5.99 - $4.99/lb. maybe?) ;)

Nope - a lion taco is a bargain at $35.. but if you are *really feeling flush, here's a another "bargain" from the same outfit:

"Lion Penis with Set of Rocky Mountain Oysters

Regular price: $25,000.00

Sale price: $10,000.00"

See - a lion is like one of Thump's outboards.. $50, 000 is doable of you "part it out". ;)

Thumper
08-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Nope - a lion taco is a bargain at $35.. but if you are *really feeling flush, here's a another "bargain" from the same outfit:

"Lion Penis with Set of Rocky Mountain Oysters

Regular price: $25,000.00

Sale price: $10,000.00"

See - a lion is like one of Thump's outboards.. $50, 000 is doable of you "part it out". ;)

Ha HA! Remind me to pull some pics I took when my SEAL bud and I snuck into Burma ... errr, make that Myanmar now .... a few years back. All my pics are on 3 1/2" floppies, so I have to re-scan anything I want to post here ... I ain't gots no floppy drive. (Ok, time for the smart-asses to start with the "floppy" jokes) ;)

Hint: I could buy lion penis for a few bucks on the street. This cute little Burmese gal gave me a small sample and said it would make my pecker really "stand-up" and take notice! ;)

quercus alba
08-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Jimbo I'd be careful saying " 3 1/2 floppy" around this bunch

Thumper
08-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Jimbo I'd be careful saying " 3 1/2 floppy" around this bunch

Yep, that's why I mentioned the smart-asses! ;)

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Ha HA! Remind me to pull some pics I took when my SEAL bud and I snuck into Burma ... errr, make that Myanmar now .... a few years back. All my pics are on 3 1/2" floppies, so I have to re-scan anything I want to post here ... I ain't gots no floppy drive. (Ok, time for the smart-asses to start with the "floppy" jokes) ;)

Hint: I could buy lion penis for a few bucks on the street. This cute little Burmese gal gave me a small sample and said it would make my pecker really "stand-up" and take notice! ;)

That's because "she" KNEW it would for sure!!!

Thumper
08-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Go get your stool!

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 09:57 AM
You're so silly. In about 2009, I just went and got a nice one and it's what I PERMANENTLY sit on to type at this site!!!!!