PDA

View Full Version : What's one of the stupidest funniest things you've done fishing?

Sunshine
07-29-2015, 09:35 PM
https://youtu.be/4qQtkegxWw0

BarryBobPosthole
07-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Sat on a lake in a boat and fished all night in a thunderstorm with lightning crashing all around.

STOOPID

BKB

Thumper
07-29-2015, 09:48 PM
I rode across a lake in Northern Ontario Canada in Johnboy's boat with no butt-plug installed. (installed IN THE TRANSOM you sd'ing smart-asses!) ;)

Nandy
07-29-2015, 09:48 PM
Take my cousin with me...

Thumper
07-29-2015, 11:50 PM
Yeppers ...

Thumper
07-30-2015, 01:13 AM
Dang girl! That was 14 years ago? Time flies. We were just young whipper-snappers back then! ;)

LJ3
07-30-2015, 09:40 AM
I was kayak fishing in fast, very cold springtime water that wasn't convenient for getting out of or rowing away from. Waited too long and finally had to get up on my knees to pee off the side. Kayak wobbled, then wobbled more, almost went ass over teakettle but I managed to save it before I went overboard.... as I watched my brand new shimano/St. Croix rig go flying over the side, launched from the rod holder. I think I had like, 3 total casts on that thing. Bye bye.

BarryBobPosthole
07-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Oh crap! That hurts!

BKB

Big Skyz
07-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Len you win, I can't top that.

LJ3
07-30-2015, 12:58 PM
It certainly wasn't funny!! :) But it's good news that I'm still here. Hypothermia could have been in play if I went out of the 'yak. Next time I'll just pee in my pants, or plan better. Either way I'll have a warm fuzzy feeling.

No-till Boss
07-30-2015, 01:04 PM
I pulled this up with my anchor , looks old school.

DeputyDog
07-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Yep, anything with a pull tab has to be at least 30-40 years old.

Trav
07-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Posthole and I were fishing in a tournament in March and a boat went by us throwing this huge wake. His boat started to rock an I looked down just in time to see one of his rods rolling off the deck. Without regard to my personal safety I lunged to grab the rod hit the back of the seat and went ass over tea kettle right into the 50 degree water. I did manage to snag the rod though. With me trying to climb up the motor and him on the back deck trying to pull me in that 20 foot Champion probably looked like a sail from a 30ft sloop from afar. The front end was standing straight up out of the water.

BarryBobPosthole
07-30-2015, 06:17 PM
I still haven't bought a ladder. Ought to be standard equipment. Getting back into one of those style boats is a bitch!

I can still see Travvy's face down under the water looking up at me with my fishing rod in his hands.

BKB

LJ3
07-31-2015, 09:53 AM
^^winner

Trav
07-31-2015, 06:51 PM
I got 1 more, we were night fishing in the summer from shore in this little cove and i was drunker than cooter brown. I was fishing with this huge buzzbait and got it hung up in a tree and couldn't get it out no matter how hard I yanked. My buddy says just start walking backwards it will pop out. I walked backwards forever that thing popped out and since it was night I couldn't see it but I coul hear a whirl approaching a tremendous velocity. It hit me right between the eyes and I dropped like a stone. It left a knot the size of a ping pong ball.

Buckrub
07-31-2015, 09:18 PM
As surprising as you may think it to be, I cannot compete here.

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2015, 09:26 PM
Trav is a walking, breathing McManus story and that's a fact.

We were fishing one day when Trav got the backwoods urge and made a fast beeline for the bushes. I looked the other direction discreetly and turned around an appropriate time later to see him squatting buck ass nekkid. He said he took his clothes off so he wouldn't get any on them.

Think Sasquatch.

He is pretty renowned for coming home with only one sock because he doesn't go to the woods prepared, too.
BKB

Trav
07-31-2015, 09:48 PM
In my defense that was not your normal backwoods shit, that was some world class ass exploding butt piss. I didn't want to risk any splash back.

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2015, 09:55 PM
I've gone in the drink myself more than once in cold weather and I can vouch for the gasp!
Those usually involved ducks in some way.
BKB

Nandy
07-31-2015, 09:55 PM
In my defense that was not your normal backwoods shit, that was some world class ass exploding butt piss. I didn't want to risk any splash back.

TMI!!!!

Nandy
07-31-2015, 09:58 PM
I've gone in the drink myself more than once in cold weather and I can vouch for the gasp!
Those usually involved ducks in some way.
BKB

I have gone diving with my 12ga on hand....

No-till Boss
07-31-2015, 10:18 PM
I fell out of a boat fishing in a big ditch once that was scary as hell. I honestly didn't think it was that easy to do, and I never had a chance of recovery. I was sitting with the seat turned sideways, the next thing I knew, I was leaning back and splash, a back dive into a shallow muddy ditch. Of the thousands of hours I've spent in boats, that one spill changed my mindset on safety.

BarryBobPosthole
07-31-2015, 10:21 PM
One of the scary things about some of the stuff we do. One slip away from a serious owie.

BKB

No-till Boss
07-31-2015, 10:28 PM
I've been in a lot of very unfortunate situation in boats, most all of them I had time to reason what was happening. That particular event was too quick and without warning. It still scares me to some degree knowing I was out of control of the situation.

quercus alba
07-31-2015, 10:38 PM
I don't do stupid stuff. Especially fishing

Nandy
07-31-2015, 10:45 PM
Growing in an island it became very handy to know how to swim. Kids hated going boating because I will force them to wear one. I wear mine all the time because it is very hard to swim when you get knocked unconscious....

Buckrub
08-01-2015, 01:48 PM
After thinking on this, I DO have one thing I did.

I went fishing with Posthole. And Trav.

At the same time.

Chicken Dinner
08-01-2015, 03:19 PM
I was fishing off a dock with a buddy on the Nanticoke River in Delaware when we were 13-14 years old. We'd hopped the fence of this feed company and were illegally fishing off their dock. There was a good 4-5' drop to the water and my buddy fell in when one of their workers snuck up behind us yelled. We 'jumped' and my buddy falls completely in. As God as my witness he hit that water, goes completely under and claws his way up a piling so fast he was barely even wet when he got out. The worker guy laughed so hard he just told us to move along and not come back.

BarryBobPosthole
08-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Hahahahaha...There's some Hall of Fame material in this thread.

BKB

airbud7
08-01-2015, 03:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epLqBqYLmWo

DeputyDog
08-01-2015, 05:14 PM
We had some family friends who lived on a big farm in Iowa and we'd go visit them in the summers. One year we all go fishing on some little lake near them. We were using those big black barn crickets for bait.

I make a cast and it lands kinda close to a mallard hen. She sees that cricket and grabs it. She got hooked through the tongue and has hard as she tried, she couldn't get it out. I ended up reeling her in. Our friends had some ducks at the farm already, so we took her back to the farm, clipped a wing and she lived there for several years.

Thumper
08-01-2015, 05:35 PM
I was fishing off the coast of California and hooked a frigging pelican! Those damn things would follow us everywhere we went and were a royal PITA. I can see why some of those fishermen would get frustrated and clip their beaks (which is HIGHLY illegal BTW and I'd never do it, but I can sympathise). I fought with him a while hoping he'd get loose, but finally had to cut my line. I tied on a whole new rig, threw my first cast and ANOTHER one of those rat-bastards snatched my rig right out of the air! That sucker was in full flight and reeled off about 3/4 spool of line before I locked the reel down and snapped the line. BUT, they were NOTHING compared to catching a sea lion! But that's another story. Fishing around the California coast was always an adventure ... NOT fun. :(

Nandy
08-03-2015, 04:22 PM
A friend and I were fishing in the north coast of PR and he hooked a seagul. It took quite an effort from both of us to get the bird freed.

Bwana
08-03-2015, 06:03 PM
Had a beaver coming swimming by while casting for northerns so I thought I would be smart and give it a scare. My cast landed just beyond the critter so I thought when the line landed on it it would scare the beaver causing it to slap it's tail and head for the hills. That never happened. Instead it simply proceeded to swim away while peeling line from my fancy new reel. Thought for sure he would spool me and take the whole outfit with him down the river but thankfully the line eventually broke.

No-till Boss
08-03-2015, 06:46 PM
My grandpa was a big time fisherman, his signature saying was, don't buy a pole that's too expensive to slap a snake with.

Chicken Dinner
08-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Me and your Grandpa would have gotten along just fine. My best story is having an Osprey swoop down and grab an American Shad I was fighting. We both tugged back and forth a bit before he let loose. You should have heard him scream at me when I let that thing loose.