quercus alba
07-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Floyd Patterson and his glass jaw has been reincarnated as a cow

Nandy
07-29-2015, 10:03 PM
lol!

Thumper
07-29-2015, 11:33 PM
Damn! Did he knock that cow out or kill it??!!

Captain
07-30-2015, 04:32 AM
Damn!

Arty
07-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Looks like the goat took it pretty hard too. He looked damn near paralyzed trying to get up

Thumper
07-30-2015, 08:07 AM
I remember as a kid, when my uncle would get ready to slaughter a cow (or a "beef" as he called it), he'd shoot him right in the middle of the forhead and he'd drop like a rock. (I think it was just a .22 short, but I was just a kid and really don't remember) I guess that's their "soft spot". In the slaughter yards, didn't they used to just hit 'em there with a hammer back in the day?

Big Muddy
07-30-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm not proud of it, but I made my spending money during college, working on the kill floor, 3 afternoons a week at Bryan Bros. Meat Packers, in West Point, MS....there's no telling how many beef and hogs that I put down, during that time....hogs were pricked in the carotid and bled out....but, we used a retractable bolt gun on the beef.....it had a .22 charge that propelled out a small sharp bolt device about 3 inches into the sweet spot between the eyes....then, the bolt automatically retracted, and was ready to be re-loaded, again....I could put beef down, as fast as I could re-load that thing.

Other times, I was sent to the vat room, where we cooked the potted meat, vienna sausage, and hot dogs in huge 100 gal. vats....and, I still love to eat 'em all. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-30-2015, 08:58 AM
That bolt reminds me of what the killer used in "no Country for Old Men". I think his used compressed air though, but sounds like the same deal.

BKB

HideHunter
07-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Couple friends of mine were hunting/camping in CO. An old cow decided she liked their spot. They ran her off repeatedly.. but every time they came back to camp she had the camp in shambles just walking around knocking things over. One of the guys had one of those rubber-tipped blunts about the size of a quarter. Said he picked up his recurve and put that blunt just above her eyes at about 15 yards. He said she couldn't have gone down any harder if you'd shot her with an ought 6. They said for several minutes they were pretty sure they'd just bought a cow. Finally she got up and wandered off. They saw her several times over the next few days.... at a distance. ;)

Nandy
07-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Having grown in cattle country I am surprised to hear about that sweet spot between the eyes. We never killed large cattle, mostly calves and we would hung them by the hind legs and cut their throats, same for goats. Pigs got stabbed in the neck or behind shoulders in the heart. I helped with all but the pigs because they would bite and grandpa did not wanted me close to them.

HideHunter
07-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Actually Nandy - in my experience - it's not "right between" the eyes - about 3-4 inches up. .22 will drop them so hard the ground will shake.. Hogs - make an x between the eyes and the ears - wop - like a sack of wet concrete.

Nandy
07-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Good info, I heard they used a shotgun shot to the head at the meat processors but I never witnessed that.

Big Muddy
07-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Good info, I heard they used a shotgun shot to the head at the meat processors but I never witnessed that.

Never heard that, but if they did, it was prolly a low-power slug....doubt they would use any type of pelleted shot....too much good meat in the head and cheek muscles to risk getting pellets scattered about. ;)

Nandy
07-30-2015, 05:19 PM
I would not be surprised it was not accurate or true at all. for once, it got the info from older teens and second, it sounds kinda loud and expensive to do that to each cow in a production like type of work....

quercus alba
07-30-2015, 05:20 PM
I worked four years at a packing house, I can't imagine how many cows and pigs I've killed with a bolt gun. Ours used a 25 blank.

quercus alba
07-30-2015, 05:22 PM
We had a big bull got up after we had stunned him and opened the gate. Only gun we had was an ought six. He didn't twitch that time

BarryBobPosthole
07-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Man, that has to be some hard work. Makes my hands hurt just thinking of it. Especially at cold temps.

BKB

quercus alba
07-30-2015, 06:56 PM
hardest part was salting the hides. That and trying to pull a gooseneck full of 2000 lb bulls with a bobtruck

Thumper
07-30-2015, 07:31 PM
hardest part was salting the hides. That and trying to pull a gooseneck full of 2000 lb bulls with a bobtruck

Ha ha! Been there, done that! It would be a LOT easier to haul cattle if they'd STAND STILL!

quercus alba
07-30-2015, 07:52 PM
that little bob truck wouldn't snatch the hat off your head. I'd start up an incline and have to start downshifting half way up. I'd done shifted down in granny a couple of times. That big charolais trying to molest that little black angus didn't help