PDA

View Full Version : How long before.....

BarryBobPosthole
08-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Now that the media has made a huge deal about a couple of drone near misses at a New York airport, how long will it be before a terrorist group starts using drones to try to take down passenger jets?

people want to make a big deal out of drone technology. But RC planes and helicopters, your basic drones, have been around since the 70s.

Still, there needs to be some regulations if they're going to be used commercially.

BKB

Buckrub
08-01-2015, 01:45 PM
On this one, you are right.

I did see where Amazon wants more regulations.........strict adherence to the G zone, 500 feet, all that, and make layers for folks to operate in. However, I read that as "I'm Amazon, and I want a layer to myself and these regulations would give me that"..........

I can see Muhammed Al-Omer El-Sabib reading up on drone technology now. I bet Saudia Arabia has already added it to their Terrorist Schools.

airbud7
08-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Agree BBP...A large enough drone could haul a nice size Bomb...The possibility is endless.

Thumper
08-01-2015, 02:45 PM
P-hole quote;

But RC planes and helicopters, your basic drones, have been around since the 70s.

Dang dude ... they've been around a LOT longer than that. Believe it or not, I was fascinated by RC models by about the time I learned to ride a bicycle! Some sort of RC has been around for at least 100 years or more, but the model planes have been around since the mid-40's I think. Back when I was a kid, most all the drag strips in the country were abandoned WWII era airstrips. It seemed whenever I was at the drags with my dad, there was a seperate area where the model plane guys did their thing. Heck, I'd spend as much time hanging around with them as I did my dad while he was racing! I got my first Cox .049 U-control for my 8th birthday (1960) from my Godfather (Red Vogt, the guy who named NASCAR). He was always with us and saw how much I loved those planes.

I remember the early radio control planes. Heck, the control boxes were huge and had antennas about as long as those big ol' CB whip antennas the rednecks used to have on the back bumpers of their pick-ups! The big problem was battery technology and the size/weight of the batteries. Once the transistor came out in the early 60's all hell broke loose and the hobby really took off! I flew RC planes up until I got out of the military. Once I was married and had responsibilities, I slowly eased out of the hobby because I really couldn't afford it anymore. Heck, I can't even remember what I did with all my planes and equipment. (must'a had 10-12 complete planes at that point) :(

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 09:44 AM
OR...........

How long before THIS!!!! :)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/drone-drops-drugs-in-ohio-prison-yard-sparking-fight/ar-BBloeC1

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 09:49 AM
I'm sure there's as many nefarious uses for drones as there are good ones. I'm just waiting for someone to use one to rob a bank.

BKB

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 09:51 AM
This is not me typing. This is my neighbor who came over, ok? Not me.

I'd like to have one to deer hunt with.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Hahahahaha. Would make scouting interesting.

BKB

Nandy
08-05-2015, 05:13 PM
too late bucky, i have dibs over the idea....