PDA

View Full Version : Fishing again yesterday: Pic!

HideHunter
08-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Film at 11.

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 09:51 AM
great pic there, Hidey....my wife tore my azz up, fishing yesterday....beat me 13-1 on big channel cats....actually, she was bream fishing with crickets, but the cats liked them better than my nightcrawlers. ;)

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Hide, what sorta bait ya'll use for your cats, up there???....down here, most of the time, nightcrawlers are the best choice....however, my yoyo's do well on sliced wieners sprinkled with a little garlic powder.

HideHunter
08-03-2015, 10:52 AM
If I'm after small cats - up to 3-4 pounds - you can't beat dip bait. My dad and I buy Sonny's Super Sticky by the 5 gallon bucket. By far - my favorite bait for big cats is cut-bait.. In the Mississippi, shad - or better yet mooneye, if I can get it. In the Iowa - shad, bluegill, white bass, drum - all seem to produce. I do fish a lot of nightcrawlers here behind they house because I don't really care what bites.. after anything that will pull back. I've never fooled with hot dogs. Heard of it. I'll have to try that sometime. Chicken livers are good - PIA to keep on the hook. Really hot weather, shrimp can be real good.

I like fishing for the big stuff.. Now that the wife is retired I use more dip because it's usually non-stop action.

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Hot dog pieces.

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 02:05 PM
Hot dog pieces.

Yep, but don't forget to sprinkle the garlic powder on 'em. ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-03-2015, 03:01 PM
We need to introduce you to a filet knife. I like fish, but I don't like picking around bones.

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Yep, CD but those fiddler cats about the size he's got on his plate there are better tasting 'close to the bone' than they are fileted.

Not to be dismissive. Just MO.

BKB

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Barry is right. BUT, sometimes there are little ones around, and it's just best to fillet. HH didn't have any little ones, and he ate fresh, so no reason not to eat down to the bone

Um........I didn't mean it that way........ :)

HideHunter
08-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Yep - If it weren't for my wife - I wouldn't even keep anything less than two pounds - and I handle a filet knife pretty well. My wife's grandfather was "Spider Malcom", a local legend who (honestly) threw back anything over about a pound and a half. So my wife grew up eating those little fiddlers, whole, (3 in a 12" skillet). Still her favorite today - so I keep a mess for her occasionally. They are tasty - and you only eat them one bite at a time anyway. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2015, 10:49 PM
The channels with the spots on'em. Good eatin. I see you didn't waste much. That boneyard looks a bit like the Flintstone sized pile of chicken wing bones left by Thumper on the table at Hooters in the Edmonton Mall. You couldn't see over it without standing up.
BKB

Ps....you left the best part, the tater chip tails.

Captain
08-04-2015, 04:35 AM
That's the first thing I saw too Posthole. I love them tails!
Looks like some mighty fine eatin and catchin'
I love me some bream but I want them with bone in. It's so easy to eat and there is no problem with the bone in.

Buckrub
08-04-2015, 06:35 AM
I have to keep a few bream while crappie fishing, just for mother. The tails and fins are her favorite part. I don't care for 'em, but she loves 'em. Course, she's been known to eat a chicken bone (entirely) too. I have always been worried she (and I) have canine DNA somehow.

HideHunter
08-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Actually - that one does look like there's some tail left - must have been the wife's. I usually work those over too.. I fried up a fillet off about a 3#er for lunch yesterday. Butter, slab of cheese and a big slice of onion on rye.. Best fish sandwich going..

Thumper
08-04-2015, 10:50 AM
I have to keep a few bream while crappie fishing, just for mother. The tails and fins are her favorite part. I don't care for 'em, but she loves 'em. Course, she's been known to eat a chicken bone (entirely) too. I have always been worried she (and I) have canine DNA somehow.

Ha! Sounds like Lynn and me Bucky. She loves the tails and fins (and cheeks of course). Heck, she even eats the tails on fried shrimp! As for the chicken bones, she won't really sit there and EAT a leg bone in it's entirety ... but I'll guarandamntee you, there is NOTHING even microscopic left on a bone when she gets through with it. That cartilage is as good as meat as far as she's concerned. She's that way with a lot of fat trimmings also. Heck, I'll eat a steak and she'll make a meal of whatever I trim off of it!

HideHunter
08-04-2015, 10:56 AM
lol.. exactly the opposite for us, us Thump. I overhaul the chicken bones and clean up all that good steak she "wastes".. ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Reminds me of the feet and flippers on a soft shell crab. Me love the crunchies!