PDA

View Full Version : All this talk about GMO stuff....

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Ya'll know I served my time in the farming game, and this 46th something year is my final one, so I didn't get into that GMO discussion because I saw where it was headed, and personally, in the proverbial words of Thump, I could give a rats's azz....if you don't like what's being served on your kitchen table, there's a virtual buffet somewhere else, up the road.

I CAN tell you this, however, I have access to both GMO and non-GMO corn for my deer feeders....placed side by side, MY local deer will walk over the GMO corn to get to the non-GMO corn....don't have any idea why, because they both look and smell exactly the same to me....but, these deer down here can dang sure tell the difference....I'm not saying they will not eat the GMO corn, but these deer sure prefer the non-GMO, when offered the choice....this is just MY personal observation and humble opinion.

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Sorry for the sidebar, but I'm going to ask a farming (?) question...........that puzzles me.

I know I'm naive, have not been around the world and done fancy things. I'm a simple redneck, no apologies. But we ate at Shannon's steakhouse about 2 years ago, and they had a choice for every steak on the menu.......grass fed or grain fed. The grass fed was way higher, and I asked. They said, looking down their nose at me, that "it's just more tender".

Why?

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Are you sure you don't have that backwards....grain fed is always more expensive and more tender....grass is lots cheaper than grain, and grain is what puts the marbling in the meat....currently, my local grocer sells a grass-fed whole ribeye for $6.89 per pound and a grain-fed whole ribeye for $11.89 per pound.

They might be trying to sell you their "organic" steaks at a higher price, just because the beef were free-ranging on grass....but, they lied to you, if they gave you that line about "it's just more tender"....the word "organic" just about always doubles the price on food....down here, regular milk is about $3.79 per gallon...."organic" milk is $7.59 per gallon.

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Which is why I was startled.

But no, I don't.

Thumper
08-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Lynn and I were in Whole Foods a week or so ago because they had a kick ass sale on ground sirloin. We bought 10 pounds! The lady right behind me ordered a few pounds of hamburger and the butcher started to give her the ground sirloin. She hollered, "NO!! I don't eat that stuff ... give me the "grass fed"!" She paid through the nose for that stuff. I whispered to Lynn, "Dang, are we back in California?" :crazy

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 06:27 PM
This article is about why it's more expensive.

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/resources/grass-fed-beef-grain-fed-beef

Thumper
08-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Eddie, the "grass fed" down here is much higher. It's like the "free range chicken - eggs" or the organic b/s. I call it "Yuppie Food".

quercus alba
08-03-2015, 06:35 PM
It's called marketing, if you can convince people that one item is better than the other they'll pay thru the nose for it, regardless if is it's true or not. And because they pay more for it then it has to be better and you'll never convince them otherwise. Never confuse the issue with facts

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 06:37 PM
The grass fed steak I had at Shannon's was the best meat I ever ate in 65 years............by a very high factor.

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 06:41 PM
The grass fed steak I had at Shannon's was the best meat I ever ate in 65 years............by a very high factor.

I'm not saying grass-fed is not good and tender....I'm saying you got screwed, paying more for it. ;)

No-till Boss
08-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Ya'll know I served my time in the farming game, and this 46th something year is my final one, so I didn't get into that GMO discussion because I saw where it was headed, and personally, in the proverbial words of Thump, I could give a rats's azz....if you don't like what's being served on your kitchen table, there's a virtual buffet somewhere else, up the road.

I CAN tell you this, however, I have access to both GMO and non-GMO corn for my deer feeders....placed side by side, MY local deer will walk over the GMO corn to get to the non-GMO corn....don't have any idea why, because they both look and smell exactly the same to me....but, these deer down here can dang sure tell the difference....I'm not saying they will not eat the GMO corn, but these deer sure prefer the non-GMO, when offered the choice....this is just MY personal observation and humble opinion.

Do the deer down there have a preference on whether it was harvested with a Case or a John Deere ?

No-till Boss
08-03-2015, 06:43 PM

I bet it was GMO grass that made the difference !

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I'm not saying grass-fed is not good and tender....I'm saying you got screwed, paying more for it. ;)

Can't answer that. It was, to me, a 'once in a lifetime' meal. I didn't have the grainfed, so I don't know for sure. I just know it was good.

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2015, 06:47 PM
I grew up on grass fed beef and it tastes better and has a better texture. We did finish our beef for about four weeks on sweet feed but there's not a way to put much fat on 'em at that point, just finish them.
The main difference to me is the grass fed is less marbled, less fatty, and generally a little tougher. But it tastes more like the real cow than a grain fed steak. Mind you, I love me a good fatty ribeye as much as anyone once in a while, but in our daily diet, The few times we even eat beef its grass fed or the less fat content grainfed.

As for nutrition, I have no idea. I know most grass fed operations don't have to shoot them full of growth hormone or antibiotics to get them to digest corn.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2015, 06:48 PM
And of course, taste is subjective. But there IS a difference.

BKB

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Thump and QA hit the nail on the head.

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 06:54 PM
I suppose if Thump had been there, he'd know. He'd have found out the only possible way, order two identical steaks, each way, and eat both.

To be honest, I was sort of startled and didn't know which to order. I knew it was a very, very rare event, and just got the highest priced one. Maybe not smart, but that's what I did. Mama still cries when she talks about that steak.

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Bucky, just outta curiosity, what cut of steak did you order???

No-till Boss
08-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Bucky, just outta curiosity, what cut of steak did you order???

Hamburger

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2015, 07:18 PM
I had a kobe steak at Collicio's restaurant in Vegas and it was a prety damn good cut of meat. I had a bone in ribeye at another place a few days later for about a quarter of the price that beat it by a mile. I think the wife and I had a $400 tab at Coliccio's.

BKB

Thumper
08-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Some of it could have been the aging process also.

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Likely so.

Prime grade ribeye is high as a cats back around here these days. We only eat it about once a month now, compared to every friday steak night that I started when I was in the Air Force and pretty much adopted as a habit until my veins had so much plaque in 'em I could caulk a window with it.
BKB

No-till Boss
08-03-2015, 07:31 PM
I do some custom cooking/catering. And I can tell you this without question, It's almost impossible to buy the same quality of meat every-time you cook. The fanciest best steak you've ever eaten, will probably be hard to duplicate at a later date. Whether it's at Jack Binion's or a Waffle House ......

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Hamburger

No way !!!....this is a man who drives his $150K truck/camper combo down to the bait shop to buy minners. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2015, 07:38 PM
You'll have to give up on some of your grilling secrets some time. I've been experimenting with a coffee/cocoa rub that Is pretty damn good.

BKB

No-till Boss
08-03-2015, 07:50 PM

These are our shirts

Buckrub
08-03-2015, 07:57 PM
No way !!!....this is a man who drives his $150K truck/camper combo down to the bait shop to buy minners. ;)

Not half that.

Wife had what she always has, the filet. I think I had it too, because it was on special with a 'house' shrimp/hollandaise and I tried it, and it was amazing. I hate filets but this one was larrupin'.

Big Muddy
08-03-2015, 08:01 PM
That pretty much answers it....grass or grain fed, doesn't matter.... there's no way to f'up a fillet, unless it's over-cooked.

Thumper
08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
That pretty much answers it....grass or grain fed, doesn't matter.... there's no way to f'up a fillet, unless it's over-cooked.

True!