PDA

View Full Version : Sunny, you started it and Im going to finish it

Captain
08-04-2015, 08:00 AM
You took a thread about my friend Bill and turned it into a self serving "I'm being picked on" post.
Other than Mrs. Niner I think I knew Niner better than anyone here. And when I read your statement
"I think he'd be sad to see what's going on around this place, right now."
You are right but not in the text you meant. I know for a certain fact how he felt about the silliness of your ridiculous requirement of no one quoting you.
AirBud was a fairly "new" member and fit in well here. For all any of us knew he might not have realized the whole "quote" issue was serious, he may have looked at it like we all joke about "we have a fishing forum"
But you were as nasty to him and cussed him personally like a sailor and it appears you have run him off.
And that is on you.
This is the second person you have run off from the site. There was a young lady a couple of years ago posting from SC and you jumped on unjustly and accused her of being mule writer. Remember? I do. I remember feeling sorry for the gal. She left and never came back.
As self appointed chief of police of the secret committee I'm telling you with no room for discussion that if you EVER pull up a seat at Campfire again ANYTHING you say can be quoted.
Anyone that knows anything about this net know that once you post something it can never be fully deleted and can be found. So you reason for not wanting to be quoted is moot.
Captain

Big Muddy
08-04-2015, 08:45 AM
You could not have stated that any better, Cap....thank you....and, you can quote me on that !!!

Chicken Dinner
08-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Amen.

Buckrub
08-04-2015, 08:54 AM
They may be unwritten, but there are rules here. I just think they should apply to everyone.

Arty
08-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Agree!
I think it's a low blow to invoke the name of a departed and loved member here... In order for you to pop back in here and throw a jab.
And that's exactly what you did.

Sunny your post was 15 paragraphs long. 1 was dedicated to Bill's birthday and the other 14 were about this site, how it sucks, how you've been wronged, how Bill would hate the site now (WHERE THE HELL DO YOU EVEN COME UP WITH SUCH A STATEMENT????), and how you won't be back.

So.... Was your post truly intended as a happy birthday post in memory of a member or was the happy birthday used as a gateway to pull on the heart strings and to post more of your BS?

LJ3
08-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Apparently I need to pay more attention. I also agree with the whole quoting thing. It's silly and accomplishes nothing.

HideHunter
08-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Driving down the road one day.. There in the field stood a neighbor, 91 year-old Miles Gerdner. He was standing by his B John Deere - that was sitting as a somewhat rakish angle because the rear wheel had fallen off. When I walked up, he looked at me, down at the pliers in his hand, at the wheel.. and I'll never forget what he said.... "Well, shit.".. I'd say that about covers my feelings on the whole situation.

BarryBobPosthole
08-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Yep.

BKB

Thumper
08-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Personally, I've never understood the quote thing. Once you hit that send button, it's "out there" somewhere and there's nothing you can do to bring it back. I came on here a few weeks ago bragging about a piece of cast iron I bought at an estate sale for $20. Once I got it home, I found out it was actually worth $200-$300! After 3-4 days, I deleted the post I'd made here. It was not a "soft delete", but a "hard delete". That cast iron piece is listed on eBay as we speak. I received a message through eBay's messaging system from some guy offering me $75. I told him he was nuts (in a polite way) and he came back with, "Well, you only paid $20 for it!" I can search the net today and that post is still out there. I made the same mistake a year or so ago with some fly fishing equipment I had listed. I posted it here and made some smart-assed G/H type remark about uppity fly fishermen. It was a joke here, but an outsider may not see it that way. I deleted the post, but once I listed the item on eBay, I got a message from a potential buyer that he was interested, but after reading my opinion of fly fishermen, he wouldn't buy it if his life depended on it! Folks, when you hit that send button ... you can't change the fact it's out there. The point is ... this non-quoting thing is pointless!

P.S. You may notice, these days I leave out a lot of detail on items I find at sales and post here, but have not yet listed.

LJ3
08-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Well... shit.

jb
08-04-2015, 12:11 PM
???? has the original post that all youse guys are talking about been deleted? Can't seem to find it to comment on it.

HideHunter
08-04-2015, 12:16 PM
???? has the original post that all youse guys are talking about been deleted? Can't seem to find it to comment on it.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthread.php?7244-Happy-Belated-Birthday-Niner

Thumper
08-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Not sure Bubba, there are a half dozen of them floating around.

Here's where it all started http://www.goodhunting.info/showthread.php?7214-The-lions-brother-has-now-been-shot-too&p=63675#post63675

See Airbud's post at: 08-01-2015, 09:14 PM

Nandy
08-04-2015, 05:26 PM
I for one had no problem honoring Sunshine's request of "no quoting" as silly as I thought it was, however, I am sure it was important to her. I had and have no problem doing that or similar things for a friend as we all have our quirks. It does bothers me her reaction when someone do quote her. There is no reason to cuss someone out for a mistake or a slip of memory, a simple "hey dude, what are you doing?" would have got most of us to delete the quote. I rather someone do something for me because they have love or respect for me than just because they do not want for me to get belligerent.

As far as what airbud did, was he "quoting" her (it was not a quote actually) on an attempt to piss her off? Don't know, only he can tell, the way I took it is that since it was a picture a regular google will not get a search hit since it is a picture. However a civil conversation between the 2 parts could have solve that. I hope his time away from the site serve as a test of how much he likes or not this place... If he has come back, if only to read, then he knows he belongs here in the family...

Sunny, as I said in a previous thread some time ago, I think your reactions to the quoting are quite strong and have no place amongst friends and you should work on that. Had I been a recipient of something like that I don't think we would be in talking terms for quite some time if ever. I know it is important to you, I recognize that even if I don't understand it. But is this so important to you that you will ditch 18 years old friendships rather than work on it? I am not saying you are not entitled to your feelings, you are but where is this taking you... While in GH most either made an attempt to honor your wishes or just not reply at all in order to honor your request I doubt you will get that much love anywhere else you go in the big ol' net...

As far as how she approached the Birthday thread she started I have multiple feelings. I wont go into those as they are not important. What I can say is that even thought I did not like the way it headed I can understand why she did it and I can only picture she was really hurt and for that all I can do is forgive. Everyone else do what you feel is best. Sometimes is better to let things simmer down before we start opening/closing doors regardless of the perception of who is right or wrong here.

Some of you mention how the ladies might not understand our testosterone way of doing things and i happen to agree, however, WE, the GUYS, seldom understand the way they react, feel or process a situation. No one is correct, is like that Venus/Mars book, we don't process things alike and sometimes is easier to just Do than try to understand...

I'm out of this one....

BarryBobPosthole
08-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Well done, Nandy.

One thing her birthday post did was to prod me to do something that I'd been feeling bad about on my own, and that was to tone down my own rhetoric, practice what I preach, and try to do a bit of a reset.

For that, the thought of Niner and what he'd prolly say to me kind of gave me a boost and the post gave me an opportunity.

BKb

DeputyDog
08-04-2015, 06:15 PM
One thing her birthday post did was to prod me to do something that I'd been feeling bad about on my own, and that was to tone down my own rhetoric, practice what I preach, and try to do a bit of a reset.

BKb

Good, that means I don't have to call you a bottom feeding trumpet monkey then. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Good, that means I don't have to call you a bottom feeding trumpet monkey then. ;)

There's a silver lining in every cloud ain't there!

BKB

LJ3
08-04-2015, 06:41 PM
My opinion----> the truth <----- your opinion.

Took me over 50 years to get that straight but by damn I'm pretty sure I got it now. That is the formula ladies and gennlemen. You're welcome.

Buckrub
08-04-2015, 07:30 PM
It is if by "your" you meant everyone other than I.

:friday

LJ3
08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
You are included in my master formula. Errbody is.

HideHunter
08-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Well said Nandy.. I wrote a whole 'nuther paragraph but I deleted it...

Nandy
08-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys, hope this will solve eventually and we can get back to sing cumbaya....

LJ3
08-04-2015, 09:09 PM
I've met too many of you weirdos to even consider a hug so you can just forget that rightdamnNOW.

Nandy
08-04-2015, 09:22 PM
C'mon, you know deep down you want a hug... Really deep, I mean inferno deep, like in the middle of the planet deep...:thumbsup

FooBang
08-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Just trying to be helpful here, since I haven't been in on the drama:

I think it was pointed out before that ANYTHING YOU EVER POST ON THE WEB EVER WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER. Scary thought, but it's true. There are archivers and bookmarkers and bots and whatnot that will scrape every site always at all times. If anyone is uncomfortable posting something, remember: There is no delete button on the internet.

--Foo

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 09:20 AM
You are included in my master formula. Errbody is.

Yeah I know.

My rule............Buckrub speaks about anything (other than to Posthole sometimes) = Some attempt, however slight and embedded, at humor. Look inside cheek for tongue.

HideHunter
08-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah I know.

My rule............Buckrub speaks about anything (other than to Posthole sometimes) = Some attempt, however slight and embedded, at humor. Look inside cheek for tongue.

Good rule - follow it *very* often myself.. made a living doing it. ;)

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 09:50 AM
You know............I wish I could sit down with you a bit............ I would give a......um........small toe, to be able to make a buck or two writing, somehow. I know, y'all will laugh. But it's my bucket list fantasy.

Thumper
08-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Bucky, years ago you stated you'd started writing a book. Does that still exist? Finish it!

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Dang you.

I hate you today.

I need to do that. It's not any good though. I'm not tickled with it.

No-till Boss
08-05-2015, 10:11 AM
I would read it ....

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Yeah yeah yeah.

But would you BUY It?

:)

Arty
08-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Yeah yeah yeah. But would you BUY It? :)

Not unless you have an audio version.

As much driving as I do I "read" 2 books a week... Without actually picking up a book.

Big Muddy
08-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Can we assume that it's a do-it-yourself-repair book??? ;)

Thumper
08-05-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm lazy ... I'd just wait for the movie to come out. :D

No-till Boss
08-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah yeah yeah.

But would you BUY It?

:)

Why hell yes.....

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Ok well I may get back on it.

But when I go re-read it, it's 'sophmorish' to me..........and I can't seem to make it better. And it ticks me off that I don't have any more skills than that, and so I just shelve it again.

And I have trouble with the quotation marks and mentioning characters names in dialogue, especially long dialogue. I get to:
Harry sneered at Sally and said "You look awful."
Sally sighed.
"That dress was your Mother's wasn't it?"

See, that last sentence, and all kinds of following sentences, do NOT have to identify Harry again, because it's clear. But you get much more dialogue and tete-a-tete, and sooner or later you have to put "Sally told Harry......" again somewhere. And I get lost in that sometimes.

OH never mind.

No-till Boss
08-05-2015, 11:56 AM
I've read a lot more bad books than good books. It's kinda like golf, everyone plays, but there in only about 200 people who can actually play. Write the damn book......

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Just write like Cormac McCarthy. He doesn't bother with punctuation and does quite well.

BKB

Here's a piece on him....

http://www.openculture.com/2013/08/cormac-mccarthys-punctuation-rules.html

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Hmmmm. I already so SOME of that. But it'd be hard for me now to continue that, for fear of following the suggestions of a man who stooped so low as to actually talk to Oprah, whom I consider to be an Angel of Satan!!!! :)

FooBang
08-05-2015, 03:03 PM
It's easy enough for we geezers to say what we feel on the internet, we're too old for it to catch up with us! I don't think none of us will be running for president anytime soon, either.

For the youg'uns, it's an important lesson. In the future (heck, even now) employers will be digging to see what you've every posted. Some employers are even asking for candidates' facebook accounts and passwords! F' that. I had to have a sit-down with my boy and will again with my little girl when she's old enough. Their online profiles will be important.

HideHunter
08-05-2015, 10:13 PM
It's interesting.. I *didn't* write the great American Novel.. had no desire to.. But I got into a "writing contest" with a guy who (eventually) did. It was a battle of columns, we both wrote for free.. for, for crying out loud, a monthly bicycle club news letter. This guy who now has at least a couple books on the market, had as good a vocabulary as I ever ran across. I, personally, think he's one of the best. Me, I write like I talk.. and almost always.. humor. After about a year of us going toe to toe - I mentioned to the editor (a real talent in her own right) I was getting my ass handed to me every month.. She told me, "Don't you believe it. Everyone *loves* your stuff. Jon writes over most people's heads."

Sylvester Stallone ..and Arnold Swarzenegger.. best actors in the world? No.. but both of them knew how to sell tickets.. I couldn't win a Pulitzer - but I could see tickets. ;)