PDA

View Full Version : I have to share this

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 09:32 AM
I don't have permission, but I have to share this. This is from another site.........the one that hates NTB, by the way!!! :) :) :)

This one touched me. It's real, it's from a guy just up the road from me..........and it makes me just wonder if I'm doing anywhere near (I'm not) my part.....

anyway, here you go:

Looking beyond our blinders

Guys, had to share this. Sometimes we are all guilty to judge too quickly in our daily lives:

Over the last several years in my travels across this section of the state, I have often noticed a old gentleman walking the roads, sometimes miles from his parked car picking up cans. His skin was weathered badly but always looked well kept in what he could afford. Many times I often wondered his story. Was it one of hard times, lost family or just a lazy bum who was looking for a handout. I think we all know those thoughts we have when we see this across the country.
Well, today in 95 degree weather I saw him again. He was about a qtr. Mile from where he parked picking up those lost cans no one wanted. My heart told me to stop and visit for a min and unlike my normal actions my truck pulled over. I could see he was tired and hot and maybe in his late 60’s but there was something I saw quickly in his eyes and voice that gave me a easy feeling. I introduced myself and began a casual conversation of the heat and tough working conditions and he just smiled and stated he had been in a lot worst; Very soft spoken and smiling from ear to ear. I told him I had a large stack of bagged up cans I had been saving for about 2 years and never could find the time to haul them off and offered those to him. Gave him a short ride to his car and he followed me to my drive about a half mile away. This is when it became interesting.
As he loaded his car to the brim he kept stating how much this would help him and I ask where he came from. Oh about 12 miles back towards town he said. Said I spent 23 years in the Navy and did two tours of Vietnam. Was a gun boat pilot for years, served on a destroyer as well as a Aircraft Carrier part of that time. “Not too bad for a boy from Marvel with a 3ed grade education straight off the farm” he said with a smile. Single and alone he said he went to work in Little Rock for about 3 years and had two next door neighbors who he never met. “Just not my kind of folks I guess, had to get back to the Country”. Stated his health was bad and walking was good for him. Felt he was doing the county a service while helping himself pay a few bills. He left with the car full and said I’ll be right back to get those others. Came back in about 30 min and I ask if he had room now, he said he had went down the road under a shade tree and crushed a few sacks where he could get the rest, didn’t want to bother me doing it here and me have to listen to the racket…….boys that touched me somewhere deep.
Respect of Age, service to his country and respect for those who did, are the key things we have failed to teach to most in the last several generations. We are reaping what we failed so badly in doing in today’s society. In a different situation this man could have been someone’s grandfather who they would have deeply respected and honored but he is still giving to this country for his service from years past while in the prime of his life and his dedication to the well being of us all.
I ask that we all realize the blessings we each have today and pray for those Vets who because of their giving may be still paying a price we think is no longer there. Many are dying daily from poor health care and a large number taking their own lives across this nation daily as well. Take the time to find those and say thank you and give a helping hand when you see the need. It will change your lives and both will be truly blessed when you do.

LJ3
08-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Respect is a lesson to be learned for any age. I've had to learn it about 78 times so far.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Amen.

BKB

Arty
08-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Good read. Thanks

No-till Boss
08-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Short version , I had a old ragged couple picking up cans down one side of my farm. I watched them for several hours and they had covered about 1.5 miles of my property. So , later that afternoon I pulled up to the old man, and told him where my property was and how much I appreciated him picking up those cans. When I was about to drive off, I slipped him a $20 dollar bill and thanked him again. As I was driving away, I was looking in my rearview and the old man hollered at the old women and held the 20 up, the next thing I knew they were driving by the shop never to be seen again.

Thumper
08-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Party-Pooper! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 10:27 AM
It amazes me how many still drive our highways and just blithely throw their shit right out the window.

BKB

No-till Boss
08-05-2015, 10:33 AM
It amazes me how many still drive our highways and just blithely throw their shit right out the window.

BKB

Me too !

Thumper
08-05-2015, 10:38 AM
I'll second that. One thing I find interesting (ironic actually), I have a friend who cusses people who litter ... and I have no problem with that. BUT ... he's a heavy smoker and thinks nothing about flipping his cigarette butts out wherever he happens to be. Have you ever been stopped at a red light to make a left turn and glanced out you driver's window? You could rake up 20 lbs. of butts with a dang snow shovel! I swear, it must take 20 years for those things to break down.

Big Muddy
08-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Yep, Thump, they should at least "field strip" those butts like the military taught us to do. ;)

Thumper
08-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Yeah, we were taught to field strip them and then bury them! (by "bury" I mean wallowing out a small hole with our boot and covering them up)

Not too practical in the city though. ;)

jb
08-05-2015, 12:05 PM
I usually don't have much sympathy for beggars, but last Saturday #1 and I were headed out to shoot some trap. It was noon and I pulled into the local Burger King drive-thru to get my lunch (#1 already had eaten)
When I pulled in I could see some guy standing at the exit with a sign that said "Army Vet" and noticed he had his left leg missing.
On the way out I gave #1 a my last $10 and said give it to him and thank him for his service. We pulled up and gave it to him, and he was more than excited to receive it.
I then asked him if he was hungry, and he said that's why he was standing there. I then gave him the bag I just received from the drive-thru.
When I looked back he was already sitting on the grass wolfing down the meal.
I told #1 to appreciate what he had .

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 12:10 PM
#1 has a lot.

Good job.

I am always torn at these beggars. I know many are charlatans. But.........Hebrews 13:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Thumper
08-05-2015, 12:40 PM
I've been burned so many times by "beggars" I've gotten to the point I ignore them now. (I used to give something to them every chance I got)

Speaking of the Vietnam Vet, the words I see most on the signs they hold around here are "Homeless Vietnam Vet" and always the obligatory "God Bless" at the end. I handed money to a "Vietnam Vet" on the corner at Walmart years ago and as he took the $5 bill, I asked where he was in 'Nam. He hesitated, then said, "Hanoi"! Ha ha ha ha! Busted! BTW, the VA has excellent programs in place to take care of homeless veterans.

I admire your charity and don't want to take away from that, but I've been burned so many times I ignore them now.

I will say I'm VERY generous in Thailand when there. They have no social programs and I've seen women with no legs dragging themselves down the street with their hands/arms. I can't turn away from stuff like that.

Bwana
08-05-2015, 02:15 PM
A good read and a good lesson, thanks for sharing Bucky.

jb
08-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Thump, I guess I've not become that cynical yet.
On the way out to the shoot #1 told me his story.
Last winter on a cold Saturday he stopped in at his CU to get some cash from the ATM. The ATM is located in the lobby and there was this homeless guy sitting in there trying to get warm. As #1 entered he said please don't be concerned, I'm just here to get warm, #1 said "Not a problem" The guy went on to say women would just turn a round an leave.
As #1 was leaving he asked if there was something he could do for the guy. The guy then proceeds to tell what happened. He said two years ago his only child, his daughter was killed in an auto accident out by the mall by a speeding drunk, and it affected him to the point he couldn't work anymore, or even discuss it with his wife, so he just wondered off. #1 asked what her name was, when he told him, #1 replied she was one of his students, and what a great person she was.
The guy smiled as a tear ran down this cheek, and said thank you, and God bless.
#1 gave him the $20 bucks he'd with drawn and left with a tear in his eye.

Thumper
08-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Oh don't get me wrong Bubba, I'm a softie when it comes to stuff like that and USED to give constantly. Prob. is, a few years back I got curious and decided to start circling the block. It hardened me a bit when I'd give a "hungry" man a few bucks right across the street from a food joint and when I came back around, he'd be headed straight for the liquor store next door. Of course, Florida's weather seems to attract vagrants by the trainloads so maybe I run into the losers!