PDA

View Full Version : There's still good and brave cops out there....

Big Muddy
08-05-2015, 09:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3g0ZeWSSqM

Thumper
08-05-2015, 10:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3g0ZeWSSqM

I don't know ... they want me to sign in and give my email addy. I get enough junk mail already.

Big Muddy
08-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Hmmm....the video popped right up for me.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 10:45 AM
I viewed it just fine without any sign up.

That's 99.9 percent of them Muddy!

BKB

Big Muddy
08-05-2015, 10:47 AM
I viewed it just fine without any sign up.

That's 99.9 percent of them Muddy!

BKB

Yep, agreed !!!

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 10:59 AM
That don't mean there's not a certain amount of chickenshit going on though. My oldest got stopped the other night in a little town just west of here and had had a couple of beers. He blew a .7, which is below the limit. He was pulled over for goong two mph over the speed limit. He spent the night in jail, caused his family a lot of stress, and generally was in a world of shit. He said the officer had him blow twice to get a .7 and he couldn't believe it was even that high as it was hours after he'd had his second beer. They put him in jail to 'detox'. This is a kid that has not had so much as a traffic ticket in many, many years. Works two jobs to support his family, is a good citizen. He went to court yesterday and never even had to plea before the judge threw it out. The cops didn't show for court and the judge just told him 'see ya later, no charges'. They got his bail, they got his money to get his car unimpounded, and they left him not with the impression that he fucked up and should never do that again, but with the impression that cops are a bunch of chickenshit assholes. That attitude will likely mellow with time, but this is the kind of enforcement we see in many small towns around here.
Did he do wrong? Yes. Was he a drunk? Not even close. Was he a danger to others? No, not even close. Any of us who go to dinner and have a cocktail or two could blow a .7. Makes me mad as hell.

BKB

Thumper
08-05-2015, 11:00 AM
That's weird. I get a page with the video window blacked out and this written in:

Content Warning

This video may be inappropriate for some users.
Sign in to confirm your age

When I click the link, it askes for my email addy. Hmmm, no clue wazzup wid dat.

LJ3
08-05-2015, 11:24 AM
That don't mean there's not a certain amount of chickenshit going on though. My oldest got stopped the other night in a little town just west of here and had had a couple of beers. He blew a .7, which is below the limit. He was pulled over for goong two mph over the speed limit. He spent the night in jail, caused his family a lot of stress, and generally was in a world of shit. He said the officer had him blow twice to get a .7 and he couldn't believe it was even that high as it was hours after he'd had his second beer. They put him in jail to 'detox'. This is a kid that has not had so much as a traffic ticket in many, many years. Works two jobs to support his family, is a good citizen. He went to court yesterday and never even had to plea before the judge threw it out. The cops didn't show for court and the judge just told him 'see ya later, no charges'. They got his bail, they got his money to get his car unimpounded, and they left him not with the impression that he fucked up and should never do that again, but with the impression that cops are a bunch of chickenshit assholes. That attitude will likely mellow with time, but this is the kind of enforcement we see in many small towns around here.
Did he do wrong? Yes. Was he a drunk? Not even close. Was he a danger to others? No, not even close. Any of us who go to dinner and have a cocktail or two could blow a .7. Makes me mad as hell.

BKB

I disagree. He did NOT do wrong. The rules are clear.

Buckrub
08-05-2015, 11:32 AM
I don't know ... they want me to sign in and give my email addy. I get enough junk mail already.

You're not alone.

May be a browser setting.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 11:33 AM
The way I understand the law, you can get a DUI and blow 0.0 if the officer thinks you're impaired. I'm sure that varies state to state. And that law is probably there for good reason. Prescription drugs or even non prescription drugs are a couple of examples. This officer had him blow twice, (he didn't tell him what the result was the first time, had him go through a whole series of sobriety tests, and then handcuffed him and took him to jail. Wrote on the ticket 'slurred speech and odor of alcohol'. my issue is if the issue is serious enough for that, why didn't they show up in court, and why did the judge throw it out without even blinking without even a plea being entered?

BKB

Thumper
08-05-2015, 11:34 AM
P-hole quote:

Did he do wrong? Yes.

Ya' beat me to it LJ, I'm not sure I understand that part. Drinking a coupl'a beers is legal and he was not legally intoxicated ... what did he do wrong?

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 11:37 AM
As a short little friend of mine says, 'if you can't do the time, don't do the crime' and I agree with that. He did wrong by putting himself in that situation. He was speeding, (the judge dropped that charge too) had a couple of beers beforehand, and was in a little burg that makes its living off that shit. He did wrong by being a dumbass.

BKB

Thumper
08-05-2015, 11:38 AM
The way I understand the law, you can get a DUI and blow 0.0 if the officer thinks you're impaired. BKB

Well heck, that would cover half the drivers on the road IMHO! I swear some of them bought their driver's licenses at Wally World!

Hombre
08-05-2015, 11:39 AM
I disagree. He did NOT do wrong. The rules are clear.

I'm not sure "doing wrong" is really the point. In a black and white world you are right rules are clear. Cops have one of the toughest jobs IMO because its not only dangerous but they have to asses situations real time and chose to apply the right penalties, force, etc....all without actually knowing the individual. In the above you have someone who is 2 miles per hour over, not above the legal limit, and probably in a small town close to home. Right or wrong how does going to jail for detox make sense?

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 11:45 AM
It doesn't at all. That was my point. I still think he should have been more aware. Sometimes, it seems my kids are clueless as to what goes on outside their little world.

And I obviously hijacked Muddy's thread. i appreciate our LEOs. Our little towns here in Oklahoma though don't hire a lot of professionals it seems like sometimes.

BKB

Nandy
08-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Why would no one freaking stop to help him?! Not even when he had the guy out of the way...
Short story, Barnes and nobles sharon amity like 15 years ago a cmpd and the mall cop was trying to subdue this guy outside the store. The cmpd was probably at the min height to be a cop and not too muscular, the mall cop was about 180 pound overweight. I am watching the struggle thinking they are going to take this guy down any second and the mall cop start getting winded and giving up. Old wife knew me and start getting a hold of me while i start to motion towards them. I had no problem letting the cmpd cop know my intentions and put my 175 lbs of feisty 30 year old rican and slam this guy on the ground... Few steps on this and the cmpd cop release the guy takes about 5 or 6 long steps and deploy taser.... Lets say he did not need my help anymore... BTW, that guy hit that concrete face fist... lol!

DeputyDog
08-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Right or wrong how does going to jail for detox make sense?

It's all about liability. If I stop you and you are close to the limit, and I tell you to sit in a parking lot or somewhere for a half hour or so for your level to drop,

#1 I can't be sure your level is not on the way up. I've had people swear it's been hours since their last drink only to find an open container in the vehicle.

#2 what happens if as soon as I pull away, you drive off, go a couple blocks and hit another vehicle and kill someone? My ass would be on the line because I didn't do enough to protect the public from you or you from yourself, and get creamed in civil court and public opinion and more than likely lose my job.

So what would your choice be if you were in my place?

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 11:20 AM
I think the question in my mind is if you're under the legal limit why the need to detox at all. Its the level the state set for driving impaired, yet in practice, it doesn't seem like there's a limit at all.

BKB

Thumper
08-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Who knows? There "may" be a little something missing from the story. I'm assuming the probable cause was the lousy 2mph over the limit, that IS chickeshit! If he was crossing the center line and/or weaving, that's another story. P-hole repeatedly said he blew a .7 ... I sure hope that's a mistake and he meant .07 or he DID belong in jail!!! ;)

But, there was no mention of even going through a field sobriety test other than the breathalyzer. Then again. I'm not sure about Okieville, but most states have a .08 limit, and .07 is pretty danged close. I suppose that's why he gave the test twice, to see if it would bump from .07 to .08. I don't think I EVER stopped anyone for a suspected DUI who didn't answer TWO when asked how many beers they'd had. As far as I know, to blow a .07-.08, you'd need to be a pretty big ol' boy and drink more like 4-5 beers in a pretty short period of time, but I don't know how big a boy Posty's kid is. If he weighs in at 100 lbs, a couple beers ought'a do it.

Chicken Dinner
08-06-2015, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure whether it's accurate or not, but I've been told to always respond "none" to that question as even admitting you had a glass of wine two hours ago with dinner is an automatic breathalyzer. As for getting booked for "detox", it sounds like either a cash grab or the cop had some other reason for having a hard-on for your son. I'm not saying that's the case and it's definitely not "right". But, when I look back at some of my youthful indiscretions and what at the time appeared to be a somewhat arbitrary application of rules/laws, I'd usually given the authorities a reason to not like the cut of my jib. It could have been attitude (good or bad depending on how it went) or my hair/earring. Or, they once had a problem with a guy named Hank.

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Hank.........WHHHYYY do you drink?
Why do you roll smoke?
Why do you live out, the songs that you wrote?

Hombre
08-06-2015, 12:37 PM
It's all about liability. If I stop you and you are close to the limit, and I tell you to sit in a parking lot or somewhere for a half hour or so for your level to drop,

#1 I can't be sure your level is not on the way up. I've had people swear it's been hours since their last drink only to find an open container in the vehicle.

#2 what happens if as soon as I pull away, you drive off, go a couple blocks and hit another vehicle and kill someone? My ass would be on the line because I didn't do enough to protect the public from you or you from yourself, and get creamed in civil court and public opinion and more than likely lose my job.

So what would your choice be if you were in my place?

That's a good question Deputy I'm really not sure, and happy I don't have to make that decision. I guess I wonder when does liability stop? He's under the legal limit, so why is there liability. If I pull a teenager over with a phone in the car am I liable if they head down the road texting and kills someone? Its not illegal to drive and have a phone, but should I have assumed they were going to text. I know ridiculous, but my point is maybe the liability issue needs to be addressed. If you pull someone over within the legal limit should you really be liable.

A different answer:

If I pulled someone over and they were a .07 I would let them go. I'd just say "Son your lucky I'm going to give you a warning. My name is officer BBP, get home safe, if you don't remember I'm officer BBP"

Thumper
08-06-2015, 12:38 PM
I had EXTREMELY good luck with cops during my misspent youth. Whenever I got stopped (quite often I might add), I was the most polite mf'er you've ever seen in your life! You'd be surprised how far that goes when it comes to leniency! ;)

I was very, very, VERY seldom given a citation ... and I've never been to jail in my life (although I prolly should have spent a few nights there through the years). ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Times have changed quite a bit for today's kids, Thump. The days of yessir, nosir, onmywayhomesir and just pouring it out just don't exist any more. At least around here, if you're under age and get caught with any amount of alcohol, you're going to jail.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 12:45 PM
He said he was given three or four field sobriety tests and actually thought he passed them all. The officer wrote 'slurred speech and smells of alcohol' on the ticket. Right.

They don't all act that way, thankfully. And I haven't let my son off the hook either. This was late at night, he was in a town that wasn't his town, and he was driving over the speed limit after he'd had a few beers. Two or three or ever how many it don't matter. He's a dumbass. The best policy is to stay home or ride with some other dumbass.

And this kid is a beanpole, so I can see a couple of beers getting him to .7. The hours later story sounds fishy to me. But a .7 is a .7. This cost the kid a lot of money that went into Skiatook, Oklahoma's coffers. That's what this was about, not law enforcement.

BKB

Thumper
08-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Again, I assume that was a .07 ... otherwise they'da prolly taken him to the hospital instead of jail! :D

I was searching for the limit in Oklahoma and ran a cross a couple'a interesting pages.

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/drink-table.php

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/calc.php

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Haha, right .07.

And that's close. He's about six foot and prolly 150 pounds.

BKB

Nandy
08-10-2015, 09:20 PM
If he kid was under the limit I would say I would seek a way to get it taken out.