PDA

View Full Version : Messy desk

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 10:11 PM
5318I have two identical Shimano 1000 Symetre reels that are my workhorses and have been for about six years now. Both of them practically at the same time, got a gritty feel to them when you reel and these are damn smooth little reels. They made a little noise too. So it was time to tear them down to the nubs and clean them up good. Man they were dirty too. Hoping when I get them back in action they're good to go.

BKB

Captain
08-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Barry. I just did the same thing to about 10 of my Shimano reels .
Being the noticer I am I see you are using Rem-oil. That is great stuff and I use it often. However get a can of G-96 and use it on your guns and reels you will thank me later.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Does it come in a non aerosol? I like the squirty squirt bottle better.

Where do buy that stuff?

BKb

Captain
08-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks...... Etc I like the gun treatment best but they do make the gun oil in squirty squirt configurations...

HideHunter
08-05-2015, 10:53 PM
I just dropped my Stradic off at the warranty center... If you had all the fish that poor little reel has cranked in in one pile - you 'd have - well - a big pile. Got to "catching" under pressure.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2015, 11:08 PM
I bought my first Shimano in 1981. It was a Bantam 1000 baitcaster. I remember the very first fish I caught with it, a three pound largemouth out of a farm pond in North Texas, up by Denison. It was a big investment for me at that point in my life and up to that time I had used nothing but one old Ambassadeur 4500 on a Ugly Stick that you could winch a truck out with. Sure I'd used other reels in my life, but I'm talking when I first spent the rent money on a fishing rig. So it was my first finesse reel too. I called it my 'Piece of Shit Shimano' because about four times in its long life of use it cut my line. There's nothing worse than watching your line slither through your rod guides. I had that thing in pieces so many times you couldn't count and never figured out why. So it was an adventure fishing with it.
I caught a 41" northen on it at Lake of the Woods, my first walleye at Saganaga Lake in the arrowhead region of Minnesota, my first ten pound largemouth from a Northeast Oklahoma farm pond, and countless other fish in between. I retired it in 99, when I started making big bucks and was buying purty stuff. I brought it out of retirement and fished with it a season about five years ago but the sonofabitch cut my line again one day amd I brought it home, took it off the rod, and that piece of shit is sitting in the same spot on the fireplace mantel in my office that I put it that day.

Man that was one good sonofabitch of a reel.

BKB

Captain
08-06-2015, 03:06 AM
That very much my story. I bought my first Shamino in the early 80's too. Mostly open face reels but I do have two of those bait casting outfits you mention. Probably not used them in 10 years.

Thumper
08-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Sheeesh! Youse weekend fishermen don't know nuttin'! First of all, this thread belongs in the Fishing Forum ... well, at least it would if we HAD one. That said, forget all that sissy Remoil and G96 B/S ... step up to the manly stuff and REALLY fix those reels up good! ;)

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-d121/k2-_39f0a7e1-2af2-4a3d-89fc-f0005826f741.v1.jpg

Captain
08-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Go back to sleep Thumper. This is for cultured fisherman, not the Zebco 202 crowd. ;)

LJ3
08-06-2015, 09:40 AM
I reeeely need to do that but am afraid I wouldn't be able to get them back together!

Thumper
08-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Go back to sleep Thumper. This is for cultured fisherman, not the Zebco 202 crowd. ;)

Heck, I'd out-fish BOF'A youse with my trusty Zebco!