15 Seth Maness 530,000
16 Pete Kozma 522,000
17 Carlos Martinez 520,000
Michael Wacha 520,000
Kolten Wong 520,000
20 Kevin Siegrist 518,000
21 Randal Grichuk 510,000
22 John Lackey 507,500

That's the bottom 9 guys on the Cardinal payroll right now. Check out the talent in that list (less Kozma). Think about the contributions made by those guys, and their relative cost. The total of all that is LESS than what Brandon Moss makes!

That is the business end of this, and that is what I can never make my wife see.........she wants to trade players equally, and play them equally, and you can't. Some are more 'worthy' than others, and some are less.

This is what you get the first 3 years though, I don't care if you are Pujols or Trout.

Just something to think about.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Big Mo is pretty dang shrewd ain't he. There's a couple names on that list that he's gonna have to dig deep to keep when its contract time though. Hopefuly he won't wait for free agency to stare them in the face to close them up though. Your boy Wong and Grichuk and Wacha should all command top contracts. It'll be a miracle if we get to keep all three.

What do you think Lackey will do after the season?

Cards01
08-06-2015, 11:33 AM
with the New TV deal they are signing with FSM they will have money to lockup a lot of these guys when it comes time.

LJ3
08-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Check this out:

14 Trevor Rosenthal 535,000
15 Seth Maness 530,000
16 Pete Kozma 522,000
17 Carlos Martinez 520,000
Michael Wacha 520,000
Kolten Wong 520,000
20 Kevin Siegrist 518,000
21 Randal Grichuk 510,000
22 John Lackey 507,500

That's the bottom 9 guys on the Cardinal payroll right now. Check out the talent in that list (less Kozma). Think about the contributions made by those guys, and their relative cost. The total of all that is LESS than what Brandon Moss makes!

That is the business end of this, and that is what I can never make my wife see.........she wants to trade players equally, and play them equally, and you can't. Some are more 'worthy' than others, and some are less.

This is what you get the first 3 years though, I don't care if you are Pujols or Trout.

Just something to think about.

You DO realize, of course, that you and your wife don't actually own the Cardinals.... right?

Oh, and can we get a couple infielders from you guys? We need infielders. And hitters. And starting pitchers. Other than that, we're ready for the pennant.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Bu you've got Bryce Harper.

When he doesn't get ejected.

I think Matt Williams would jettison him and his $5m 2016 salary if he could.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-06-2015, 12:10 PM
The Nats have plenty of infielders and starting pitching if they can keep them healthy. Other than injuries which seem to be finally working themselves out, relief pitching has been the challenge all year. Harper is about the only guy on the team that hasn't been hurt and has played up to expectations. (Although he does need to learn to bite his tongue at times...)

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Don't know who leads the league in injuries, but I'd put a lot on the over/under for the Cards.

Chicken Dinner
08-06-2015, 12:26 PM
As of a few weeks ago, it was definitely the Nats. The last time I saw the number it was something 731 games missed by starters. We have yet to field a the starting team we had penciled in during Spring training. We've had 3-4 every day players on the DL for great swaths of the season.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 12:38 PM
That's part of every club's problem if they're going to be contenders.

How about those Blue Jays?

If the Cards can get to 30 over tonight, they can play 500 ball the rest of the year and end with 111 wins. A very special season in the making. We do need to figure out how to score just a skosh more runs if we expect to go deep in the post season though.

Has anyone else noticed how many 1-0 games there are this year? Baseball went from a dearth of elite pitchers to a whole bunch of them. Everybody throws 98 and it just seems like offense is really down.

And if the young bastards get their way and change rules, like making defensive shofts illegal or jacking with the strike zone, then I'm driving my pickup somewhere and whupping some ass. Leave the farging game alone. Its the best its been in years right now. Don't fuck it up!

BKB

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 12:38 PM
BRRAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong answer.

http://www.mangameslost.com/

Chicken Dinner
08-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Except for the abominations that are the DH and Inter-league play, I'm with you 100%.

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Has anyone else noticed how many 1-0 games there are this year? Baseball went from a dearth of elite pitchers to a whole bunch of them. Everybody throws 98 and it just seems like offense is really down.

Well..........in the Baseball League, yes...... in the Softball League, not so much.

Chicken Dinner
08-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Although my numbers were admittedly old, I think those numbers are "quality" adjusted by some sort of made up metrics. So, I don't put much faith in them. Still, the Cards are having an amazing season given the level of injuries they've had.

BRRAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong answer.

http://www.mangameslost.com/

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Sabermetrics is for losers.

BKB

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 12:58 PM
I love it. I guess I'm a loser.

A bitter loser.

Dismiss me.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 01:00 PM
May your EBAP and your WABiP never go to WAR.

BKB

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 01:04 PM
WAR is subjective, doesn't belong.

OPS is best one that I've seen, means something.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 01:04 PM
The score after the 27th out is all that counts.

BKB

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 01:06 PM
If you only care about outcomes, and not each step of the journey, you are correct. It IS the MOST important stat, of course. But along the way, the game emotes much.

LJ3
08-06-2015, 01:11 PM
This is what I just don't "get" about baseball. I guess that's why I'm only a casual fan and you guys sound like a bunch of nerds in the basement of the science building rubbing your "sliderules" up against each other.

It's a sport. Use sports words! Kill, destroy, you suck, do better, great play, athletes, great game, bad game, yay!, boo!, etc.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 01:13 PM
I always keep a scorecard when I attend games. I am aware of what it emotes. I just don't care to understand how much it emotes on a park adjusted basis.

BKB

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Then I'm sure your way is best, sensei.

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 01:18 PM
This is what I just don't "get" about baseball. I guess that's why I'm only a casual fan and you guys sound like a bunch of nerds in the basement of the science building rubbing your "sliderules" up against each other.

It's a sport. Use sports words! Kill, destroy, you suck, do better, great play, athletes, great game, bad game, yay!, boo!, etc.

It is.

But it is more. It is a microcosm of life.

There is no clock, yet every game ends. Small guys can be good. Strength can be great, or of no help. All fields are the same, but only in the infield. In the outfield, all fields are different. Math allows comparisons of players from every era. The leader (manager) dresses just like the players. There are arbiters whose word is final. There is a comprehensive rule book that many eschew, but anyone can figure out with effort. They sell food there. Rain delays things, but never eliminates it.

I could go on.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 01:40 PM
W
It is.

But it is more. It is a microcosm of life.

There is no clock, yet every game ends. Small guys can be good. Strength can be great, or of no help. All fields are the same, but only in the infield. In the outfield, all fields are different. Math allows comparisons of players from every era. The leader (manager) dresses just like the players. There are arbiters whose word is final. There is a comprehensive rule book that many eschew, but anyone can figure out with effort. They sell food there. Rain delays things, but never eliminates it.

I could go on.

And the infield is exactly the size it takes to be able to make a play at first from any position on the infield. So in baseball, opportunity is perfect and anybody can be president.

BKB

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Well, finally time for 1st pitch, so I'm dismissing you.

Captain
08-06-2015, 02:30 PM
1st BITCH?
Is Billary on TeeVee?