PDA

View Full Version : I lost an old friend today

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 03:34 PM
The state Newspaper!

Last year the annual subscription went to $300.00. I told 'em no way. They called and called and finally the local manager came by and offered me another year at the same price as the year before, $180.00. I hesitated, since it takes me about 5 minutes to read the whole thing every day, including Sunday.......but I bit.

Now that year is up, and they have called nonstop. I get tired of having to call and suspend it every time I go somewhere for a day or two.......it's like having a pet to consider! I also spend about 5 minutes reading it, not worth it. And the price is now $336.00 a year!!!! No discounts.

And they have called twice a day for a month. Won't leave a message. So today I finally answered and said "No thank you". They went into apoplexy. "Surely you want SUNDAY only at least!!!".

No. I can buy it at a stand for the few Sundays I'll want it. Not paying $28 freaking dollars a month for a rag. Most of their writers are gone anyway, they've reduced and reduced and reduced.

You can't read it online without a subscription but hey......

If I lose my mind, I can start it back. But for now, see ya!

Thumper
08-06-2015, 03:41 PM
They still print newspapers?? Who knew?

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 03:44 PM
I've been procrastinating on doing the same thing. I still love to read the paper every day. In my hands. With ink on my fingers when I'm done.

I need to cancel it though and read it on line.

BKb

Thumper
08-06-2015, 03:50 PM
They put the paper in front of each guest room at Lynn's hotel every morning. She brings stacks of leftovers home. I wad 'em up to cushion eBay stuff I ship. She uses 'em to soak up bacon grease or whatever she cooks that needs to drain. I read the news on-line. I thought only OLD people still took the paper ... and drive around with AAA insurance decals on their back bumpers. ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-06-2015, 03:52 PM
I quit the Washington Post a couple I years ago and after several attempts on their part to get me to renew, I finally agreed to sign back up for $95 for the year. Once the year was up I called to cancel and told them it wasn't worth the money when they asked why. When they asked what it was worth, I told them $95 and they said okay. This is down from $60 for every six weeks.