PDA

View Full Version : Dang it Captain

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 06:57 PM
I've managed to mess up the anitreverse on BOTH of my reels. Won't engage. . I can see the little tit engage in the roller bearing housing where it's supposed to.

You ever discover any tricks to this?

BKB

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Buy Apple.

Captain
08-06-2015, 07:05 PM
I've never had that problem Barry? But all models I buy have the fighting drag and read drag so they are a little different on the back end.
The anti reverse is on the bottom and it trips a little catch inside the reel that sorta looks like a wishbone. that sticks out (one fork) to prevent it from moving backwards via little notches.
If the lever is tripping it has to be the little wishbone was put in wrong.
Let me pull up the specs on your model.

Captain
08-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Your model does not have the little wishbone piece.
I sent you the parts list.
There is a anti reverse cam (part RD15445)
And a anti reverse cam spring (part RD11080)
It would me my guess the anti reverse cam is in backwards or the spring is not connected or connected incorrectly.
It's pretty straight forward and not many parts so it should be an easy fix.

Thumper
08-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Send it to Bucky ... he'll put it back together. Oh, send your hammer with it in case he broke his. :D

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Send it to Bucky ... he'll put it back together. Oh, send your hammer with it in case he broke his. :D

Now just how nice was that? Dang. I'm so hurt.

Arty
08-06-2015, 08:10 PM
I've managed to mess up the anitreverse on BOTH of my reels. Won't engage. . I can see the little tit engage in the roller bearing housing where it's supposed to.

You ever discover any tricks to this?

BKB

Just download the Shimano Reel App.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 08:13 PM
The cam and spring are fastened to the body of the reel and I didn't take either of them off so they can't be on backwards.
I 'think' it has to do with how its engaging the spindle. That cam piece has a little tit on it that fits up into a slot in a part that is essentially a roller bearing cartidge. i DID take that apart, so I think its something in there. The diagram doesn't explode that part (roller clutch assembly) so I can't really see if I didn't get it back together right. I did swap it out with the roller clutch assembly from my other reel that I haven't cleaned yet and it still won't grab. Then I put it back into the other reel and now that one won't grab.

There's something obvious I'm missing.

BKb

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 08:15 PM
The cam and spring are fastened to the body of the reel and I didn't take either of them off so they can't be on backwards.
I 'think' it has to do with how its engaging the spindle. That cam piece has a little tit on it that fits up into a slot in a part that is essentially a roller bearing cartidge. i DID take that apart, so I think its something in there. The diagram doesn't explode that part (roller clutch assembly) so I can't really see if I didn't get it back together right. I did swap it out with the roller clutch assembly from my other reel that I haven't cleaned yet and it still won't grab. Then I put it back into the other reel and now that one won't grab.

There's something obvious I'm missing.

BKb

OH Lord, please, please do not let me make a copy of this post and misuse it by misquoting portions thereof, forever more.

Amen.

Captain
08-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Himmmmmmm. That's a head scratcher.
I'm sure it's something simple and will come together. It might be one of those things you have to sleep on and think about awhile. Wish I could put my hands in it but like I said all mine have the rear drag/fighting drag and have a different set up internally.
You're a fart smeller you will get it.

Captain
08-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Yes looks like it's got to be where it fits into part 15443 roller clutch assembly.
It really does not touch anything else.
Perhaps it matters which position it's in during assembly. (on or off)
That's just weird.

No-till Boss
08-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Yes looks like it's got to be where it fits into part 15443 roller clutch assembly.
That's just weird.

That would have been my guess also.

LJ3
08-06-2015, 08:49 PM
OK, so much for me trying to break them down by myself. I'm out! :)

Captain
08-06-2015, 08:58 PM
OK, so much for me trying to break them down by myself. I'm out! :)
Send them to Posthole..... ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2015, 08:59 PM
That's just weird.

That's what I'm thinking.

I need to blow on the walleye whistle and then try it!

BKb

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Note to board:

I have not disparaged his repair skills, not even once.

Captain
08-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Not repair skills. They were still working. It would be more like his maintenance skills... ;)

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Just letting you all know how far above the common fray I am!

harumph

BarryBobPosthole
08-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Captain was right. Just had to sleep on it. Came to me about 6:00 this morning. Got up and made the change and the anti reverse works just fine.

Here's the deal. And this part isn't on the friggin diagram. There's a little bushing that is fat on one end and skinny (well skinnier) on the other. It goes on the spindle and the cam assembly fits over the top of it. Inuitively (at least in my left handed brain) the fat part would go on first and the skinny part would go on top.
I got to thinking about thos part because when I took it apart I noticed this wasn't on the diagram. Should have made a mental note of it because I reversed it and put the fat part on top and the antireverse works like a charm.

Duly noted! And here's some more advice. NEVER take apart the cam roller assembly. There ain't nothing gets dirty in there anyway and you're not supposed to grease it. Takes forever to get back together right. It'll make you cuss.

BKB

Thumper
08-07-2015, 10:09 AM
That's why I like my plastic closed-face Zebcos. I buy 'em for $9.99 at Wally-World (I get the plain ones and avoid the one's with Mickey Mouse or Barbie on 'em) ... then I out-fish youse dufes with 'em and if they get dirty, I throw 'em away and buy a new one. :D

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Then go buy all the 202's you can find and sell 'em on Ebay for $1,000 to other such fishing aficionados as your fine self. :)

I can see Posty being good at this. Cappy for sure. I don't have the patience. I take the spool out, spray it with something oily and put it back together. Never catch another fish cause the line smells oily, then. ha.

Thumper
08-07-2015, 10:56 AM
And the oil attracts every grain of sand in the county! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Part of the reason I love to do stuff like this is (as JB has said numerous times) the process. The parts are simple but the engineering of these things just makes me sit back and grin. Every washer, spacer, barrel has a purpose. For example, there's three little different sized spacers on the spindle right between the gear on the spindle that engages the spool and the back of the spool itself. They aren't a nanofuckit thick although they are graduated from thickest to thinnest. You can remove ONE of those and it will totally change how the line lays on your spool. Add a shim and it makes it wind line more towards the bottom of the spool and remove one and it moves the pile of line towards the top. That totally makes a difference in how they cast. Now who the hell figured that one out? Some friggin pencil necked engineer, that's who. Fascinating, as Spock would say. I can tell you one thing, Zebco, even in their Quantum series aren't half as well made as these Shimano reels. The tolerances are evident in the construction of the reel.

Both are back together and spinning free! Man, how does all that dirt get inside those things?

BKb

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Fascinating.

Captain
08-07-2015, 12:18 PM
I had faith in ya! Sometimes it's best to just walk off and let things simmer awhile. More times than not the answer will come to you.
I find if I get frustrated and continue to work sometimes I'll "force" something and end up doing damage.
Good Job Posty.