PDA

View Full Version : Be careful, guys.

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 07:17 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/itinsider/a-massive-security-bug-lets-criminals-hack-iphones/ar-BBlrGOy

Captain
08-06-2015, 07:35 PM
No one that uses an iPhone downloads apps from anywhere except iTunes.
If they do they deserve the issues that come along with that.
And you will not get this false app in iTunes. Apple charges a lot of money to allow someone to put an app in iTunes and THEIR developers spend months going through the the code of all apps before they will allow it in iTunes.
Android does not. Anyone can put up and app on Android download site.
That's the reason when we looked into putting up a GoodHunting app, android wanted 15 bucks for us to put it up and Apple wanted 400 bucks for two years and would only put it up when their folks had approved it. A several month process. They also charge 200 bucks if you update your app on iTunes and again it takes months.

This app you are talking about effects both iPhones and Droid devices.
Copy from your link...
"Users that only download apps from legitimate stores and do not fall for the hacker's phishing schemes should be safe." (iTunes prevents this through their security, droid does not)
"The technique reportedly works on all major mobile operating systems including iOS and Android."
At least this is not the open virus that is hammering Android users right now that allow remote ACCESS to android phones.

Captain
08-06-2015, 07:41 PM
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/07/30/latest-android-security-exploit-could-leave-more-than-half-of-current-devices-dead-unusable

http://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/3208/20150223/this-creepy-new-android-virus-can-spy-on-you-even-when-your-phone-is-off.htm

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 08:05 PM
I was honestly just trying to be helpful.

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 08:10 PM
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-shutdown-the-android-poweroffhijack/

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 08:13 PM
http://thehackernews.com/2015/04/security-researchers-have-uncovered.html

Seems there is vulnerability in the apple world also.

Both OS and their respective supported phones are great, and used by literally billions of people. What we can do with these things now is amazing. That hackers target either one is not surprising.

But the old "less filling/tastes great"...........which I myself engaged in for a while............seems silly now. They are both great devices.

Captain
08-06-2015, 08:14 PM
I was honestly just trying to be helpful.

Me too!
Just wanted folks to know if they have a Droid they need to be careful! :D

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Yeah. I try to keep up.

But mercy. PC's, Phones............You have to be Egg or Foo to keep up anymore!!!

Captain
08-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Yeah. I try to keep up. But mercy. PC's, Phones............You have to be Egg or Foo to keep up anymore!!!

Ain't that the truth.
And I KNOW you are going to take this wrong but it's true. That's one of the main reasons I've switched about 5 or 6 years ago to apple. They are rock solid and you don't have to worry about all the viruses. We NEVER cut the computer off and we have never had one glitch with the Mac or iPads or iPhones.
And I really think it is because they build the computer,, pad or phone AND develop the software and it all works so well together. No need for anti-virus either. Whereas in the PC world there are pieces from MANY different manufactures put together and yet another software developer trying to make a OS that will work with thousands of combinations. And of course ALL those combinations will update drivers and you NEVER know how those new drivers will effect other hardware drivers in the machine.
I know, I know you gonna say I've drunk the koolaid and I'm an elitist, etc (you done all that before) but all I can tell you is if you want trouble free computing by APPLE.

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Oh I get it. But I can't afford 'em. And my daughter hates Apple, and my grandson (you met) is a geek..........and he was off Apple, but I admit now he's back on it........but he can afford anything (his Daddy buys it). I really do like a lot of the Android features, and got used to it, and I'm stubborn. I did try Apple tablets when Jeannie bought hers, and neither of us liked them at all.

This touchpad issue is a small thing. There IS a feature in Windows 10 to disable it, but for some reason my version doesn't show it as available. Disabling it when mouse is attached fixes it fine. I'm sure it'll come around before long as an update. The other thing that is frustrating is that the things that I find that will fix this if downloaded, will not download on this machine, and there's no explanation. I get the typical "Windows General Fault" type messages. NEVER do they tell you WHY there's a fault.

LJ3
08-06-2015, 08:49 PM
No one that uses an iPhone downloads apps from anywhere except iTunes.
If they do they deserve the issues that come along with that.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. My company of 5000 employees have laid waste to many man many iPhones doing exactly that. Glad I don't have to support mobile device users anymore!

Captain
08-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. My company of 5000 employees have laid waste to many man many iPhones doing exactly that. Glad I don't have to support mobile device users anymore!

LOL. That's funny.
Guess I'm just paranoid when it comes to apps. Just figured everyone was.
Like I said if they get them anywhere but iTunes they deserve what they get.

Buckrub
08-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Same with that url you posted for Android. You have to go other than than Google Play to be at risk for problems. I never have. Can't imagine doing that.

Captain
08-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Yes but Google Play does not check apps for malware or viruses. Just pay your 15 bucks a year and viola anyone's app is at Google Play.
When we were moving the site here and rebuilding it I gave consideration to building an App for smart phones. Contacted Google and that's what I was told. Just send the app in and pay 15 bucks a year and it's ready for download. I contacted Apple and found out you send them the app and they evaluate it (up to a 6 month process) and the cost is 400 bucks for 2 years up.
That's one reason you will find newer apps at Google play before you see them at iTunes. They don't check them and it's cheaper for the space.

Nandy
08-10-2015, 10:07 PM
A few years back I wrote an app for android to control my chronograph with my phone instead of my pc and considered getting it on google play. It was my understanding you had to provide source and they would check it but maybe my memory does not serves me well. Regardless, the android community does check those apps and the flag will come up and the app will be removed. You have to understand that IOs and Android are different platforms and aimed at different types of developers. I would take the chance with Android any day before I get an Iphone. Both the wife and daughter had them some time back and when we had problems it was a pain in the ass to resolve. I had one problem with my android and walked to AT&T and they just swapped the phone. same thing with Blackberry (yes, I still have a corporate blackberry).
I respect everyone's preferences and just disagree that one platform is better than the other one. Abusive and ignorant users will have problems in either while smart and careful users on both will never have to worry...

FooBang
08-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Yeah. I try to keep up.

But mercy. PC's, Phones............You have to be Egg or Foo to keep up anymore!!!

I think I'm falling behind in the dust...! I caught myself dismissing a technical article today that was written in 2013 because it was too old and out-of-date. How can anyone keep up?

Buckrub
08-11-2015, 12:07 PM
A few years back I wrote an app for android to control my chronograph with my phone instead of my pc and considered getting it on google play. It was my understanding you had to provide source and they would check it but maybe my memory does not serves me well. Regardless, the android community does check those apps and the flag will come up and the app will be removed. You have to understand that IOs and Android are different platforms and aimed at different types of developers. I would take the chance with Android any day before I get an Iphone. Both the wife and daughter had them some time back and when we had problems it was a pain in the ass to resolve. I had one problem with my android and walked to AT&T and they just swapped the phone. same thing with Blackberry (yes, I still have a corporate blackberry).
I respect everyone's preferences and just disagree that one platform is better than the other one. Abusive and ignorant users will have problems in either while smart and careful users on both will never have to worry...

You're such a freaking breath of fresh air!! Where did you go man? We almost sank wid-out ya there for a while. :)

Nandy
08-11-2015, 05:25 PM
You're such a freaking breath of fresh air!!

Not according to my wife... was in a fishing trip. been tied up a bit at work and catching up so I have not post much, maybe I will catch up by tonight...