PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable Batteries

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 02:15 PM
In the last 18 months, I've sorta started getting into the game camera deal. By getting in, I mean I've bought some, and have put a FEW out here and there. Health has stopped me lately but I hope the Lord lets me get back into it in another month. Mainly I have Browning and Primos, in both blackout and red LED. I have bought some SD cards and an old digital camera off of Ebay for $10 to view SD cards with (works great).

I have also gotten into the rechargeable batteries. I quickly figured out I can't run a lot of cameras for less than a zillion dollars by buying new batteries. And Trailcampro says to not use alkaline, to always use Li-Ion. Those are way high dollar if not rechargeable, so I'm into rechargeable.

I have some Panasonic Eneloops, and I JUST ordered some 'Amazon Basic' rechargeables. I have a 4-port charger that shows mA's as it charges.

Some folks tell me they can't make rechargeable batteries work well enough, that they don't last.

SO...............anyone with some experience, what are your thoughts on 'em????

BarryBobPosthole
08-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Back when I had some feeders going on my parent's property I had good luck with rechargeable batteries and cheap little solar chargers. The battery brand was non descript, something from Atwoods if I recall.

BKB

No-till Boss
08-07-2015, 03:02 PM
As long as Sam's have to giant packs of Duracell batteries, I don't see the point .

BarryBobPosthole
08-07-2015, 03:05 PM
I think I was talking the big latern battery sized rechargeables and Bucky is talking about something else.

Sorry.

BKb

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 03:11 PM
AA mostly. That's what the cameras run on.

And the benefit is A) not having to have a wheelbarrow full of batteries for a season's worth of filling about 8 cameras, and B) cost.

Captain
08-07-2015, 04:03 PM
I've got 12 cameras that use 8 AA each. They last about 4 months then have to be replaced. I have 17 OnTime elite feeders that use 10 AA each. 5 of those I keep running all year (2 at the farm and 3 at the hunt club). A set of those batteries throwing two times a day for 8 seconds will last about a yearly. I don't use rechargeable batteries. I can buy a zillion of the good AA's in bulk at Lowe's or Home Depot. Just not worth the hassle as long as they last.

BarryBobPosthole
08-07-2015, 04:12 PM
8 AAs is 12 volts. I'd bet a motorcycle battery with a solar charger would last a couple of years. Unless it froze, but it probably wouldn't if you kept it charged.

BKB

No-till Boss
08-07-2015, 04:13 PM
I've got 12 cameras that use 8 AA each. They last about 4 months then have to be replaced. I have 17 OnTime elite feeders that use 10 AA each. 5 of those I keep running all year (2 at the farm and 3 at the hunt club). A set of those batteries throwing two times a day for 8 seconds will last about a yearly. I don't use rechargeable batteries. I can buy a zillion of the good AA's in bulk at Lowe's or Home Depot. Just not worth the hassle as long as they last.

That's the way I see it also

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 04:14 PM
I'm not very smart about this, but wouldn't you have a connectivity issue?

BarryBobPosthole
08-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Unless there's an aux power jack somewhere you'd have to wire one in. No hill for a stepper.
BKB

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 04:22 PM
OH.

I'm a walker.

Captain
08-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Red is positive (hot) and black is negative. Easy peeezy
Just add to the existing wires to get them outside the case and hook them straight to the battery. Then hook the little solar trickle charger to the battery too, same red/black wires.
Just easier for me to throw away old batteries. As long as they last it's no big issue. I'm there at least once a month filling the feeders anyway. Takes just as long to Replace the regular batteries as it does the rechargeable ones and I don't have to charge or keep up with them.
It's been my experience that one of those rechargeable one will go out and stop the whole device from working then You got to trouble shoot WHICH one is going bad. I tried them and it was a lot of unnecessary trouble.

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the input.

I have a few of 'em, but I'll monitor how they do. Just getting into this stuff............ it's possible that at either farm or deer camp, I might end up leaving cameras out most of the year..........and not be able to get back to them. Not sure how long they'll last, but I'll learn.

Captain
08-07-2015, 05:04 PM
I think you will find them more trouble than they are worth. But who knows. Folks must use them or they would quit making them right?
Leaving the camera out for that length of time is where Postholes suggestion would REALLY work well.

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Yeah.......it's making me think.

Most cameras have an 'extended battery' extra thingy. But they're just for more batteries. His makes sense. Again, if this is something I enjoy doing, I may learn a whole lot of stuff like he said..........who knows. But if I take pictures of air all the time (which is about what I sort of expect), then.................

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 05:32 PM
You know.........thinking on this...............a lot of places (most?) that I hang cameras, don't get a lot of sun. Wouldn't that hinder solar chargers?

BarryBobPosthole
08-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Full sun is best at least for a few hours of day. I'd think dappled shade is okay. You have enough storage there to really extend the taper off of the battery. It might be more expense than its worth but I'd look into it. I set up a feeder down by my Sister's house and it ran for damn near three years twice a day and they just kept putting corn in it. They finally stopped putting corn in it when they thought the ticks were getting bad because of the deer.

BKB

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 05:40 PM
There are pretty cheap solar chargers now.

It is something I will revisit later this year, I'm sure.

Captain
08-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Yea. Those "ricks" are awful..... :D

Buckrub
08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Bout as bad as being able to edit before the "edited by Joe" message appears!!!!! :)

Maybe quoting will fix that!!!! :) :)

Captain
08-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Yep....