PDA

View Full Version : Hey Captain

quercus alba
08-08-2015, 06:50 PM
I'm curious what the thought process is of opening up bow season in the middle of August. Is there that many deer that need that need thinned or what?

Captain
08-08-2015, 06:52 PM
I don't have a clue. It's just always been that way. And really no limit on Bucks, no check in or tags either. Shoot load and go.

Captain
08-08-2015, 06:58 PM
And it's not just bow season. It's bow AND gun season starting September 1st with no limit on Bucks. 5342

Buckrub
08-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Note to every state in the Union:

SC prospers. Year after year.

Think about it.

Captain
08-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Note to every state in the Union: SC prospers. Year after year. Think about it.

And Sunday hunting is allowed and always has been. So there are 15 days for bow hunting and 123 days of gun season (138 days total) with no limit per day or per season on bucks. Literally one hunted could shoot a thousand bucks in a season and still be legal.
We all shoot as many as we want/need and every year there are tons in their place. Never seen a shortage.
But God it's too hot and dry to hunt this year.
We will see what September brings.

Buckrub
08-08-2015, 08:29 PM
You REALLY need to listen to what is being discussed HOTLY here, and many other places. Deer declines are serious.........where they used to be amazingly prolific. And what is the #1 solution discussed??

Shorter seasons.

Captain
08-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Not down here.

Buckrub
08-08-2015, 10:00 PM
My point.

And it's not the solution here either. But 90% of folks think it is.

Captain
08-09-2015, 08:37 AM
They are over thinking it.
Shorter season equals less deer killed to hunters more deer killed to automobiles.
Longer deer season (or higher bag limits) equals more deer harvested to hunters to use them and less to autos to rot on the side of the road.
The mentality that shoot less will mean more deer is akin to not keeping fish out of a lake so there will be more fish.... That's BS too, you can't hurt a lake (fish population) with a hook. Carrying capacity determines how many fish are in a lake and how many deer are in the woods.

quercus alba
08-09-2015, 08:58 AM
While we're talking about herd management here's a little article I read about a few years concerning whether or not to shoot spikes. The Arkansas game and fish commission has convinced the majority of hunters (or at least the ones who make the rules) that if you let the spikes walk then next year they'll all be eight pointers. Research shows different as a study over a 20 generation period proves. However the AGFC has never let actual facts interfere with their decision making hence we have a three point rule and are over run with little scrub bucks.

here's the link, kinda lengthy reading but it might prove helpful in herd management, then again it is Aggies

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_lf_w7000_0247.pdf

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2015, 09:00 AM
They are over thinking it.
Shorter season equals less deer killed to hunters more deer killed to automobiles.
Longer deer season (or higher bag limits) equals more deer harvested to hunters to use them and less to autos to rot on the side of the road.
The mentality that shoot less will mean more deer is akin to not keeping fish out of a lake so there will be more fish.... That's BS too, you can't hurt a lake (fish population) with a hook. Carrying capacity determines how many fish are in a lake and how many deer are in the woods.

From a fish standpoint, what and how you harvest may not impact numbers significantly, but it will impact the numbers of big fish. But generally I agree that bag limit impacts are overblown.

BKB

Captain
08-09-2015, 09:12 AM
As far as the "how" that is something you added. What I said is you can't hurt a pond with a hook. A net would be a different thing.
Like you, I have a hard time taking a big fish out of the pond. I use to have no problem and would mount MANY of them. Now it's what I call a "picture fish" and throw it back ASAP.
If I'm fishing with a friend that wants a mess of fish I have no problem with them taking all they want except any bass over 5 pounds. Those get photographed and released.

Buckrub
08-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Well, it is the single most hot topic at the Arkansas hunting chat site. In season, out of season, all the time. "We" have seen our deer decline to where we used to see 40 a day easy, and now that is a HIGH season total in many places. Yes, the 3 point rule has increased by a percentage the average antler size of the harvest. It has its place. When I grew up, I shot a buck. I see horns? 2 inches? BAM. Back then, I worked, and the total season was two one-week periods, staring on Monday, ending on Saturday. That's it.

Then does began to be legal. Wow. More deer to shoot. Plus we had like a 20,000,000 to 1 ratio because everybody had shot every buck every year for 30 years.

The 3 point rule was put in in 1998. At that time, I started doing what I'd never done. I started watching deer. Wow. Deer do this. Deer do that! Who'd a thunk it? There's a buck!! Wait.........it has 2 on this side, does the other have 3???? And a by product of that was that I learned more about deer in general.

Fast forward to 2014. The deer rich woods of the Pine Plantation South Arkansas that held small but plentiful deer..........they began to disappear! ??? Now we have coyotes taking over. Same old bobcats. Mt. Lions are seen and shot where never before. Bears are all OVER South Arkansas, where they never were......these are all massively multiple confirmed sightings, not hear say. I hear if you have a lot of carnivores, you have a lot of deer. Poppycock. Another 'generality' about deer that isn't true. We have more rabbits than anytime in my life. They're tasty too.

Meanwhile AGFC is doing what America is doing politically. They are mimicking an old method tried elsewhere, and which has failed miserably, but they're so far behind that they think it's smart to do. And it's destroying not just deer, but deer HUNTING. Folks are abandoning it right and left, cause there's nothing to see..........and the by product that SHOULD be there.....the bigger antlers due to reduced density.....are not there either. Oh, I admit this..........there are a FEW great big deer killed every year, sometimes bigger than usual. One was 120 yards from the property line at my farm. So some folks think "Well maybe it's working".

Then, add in that a brazillion acres are clearcut in S. Arkansas, where they used to hide it, now you can literally see for miles. Flat nothing. Like a bomb zone. Deer love small clearcuts. But 1,000 acres at a time, and another 1,000 1/4 of a mile away, and another, and another??? Nope.

We get told "Well the weather affected it. You are not in the woods enough to really know. Deer are there but they've learned to pattern you".....and 1,000 other things. Well, if they are there, they are flying because they aren't leaving footprints. Plenty of bear prints! Plenty of cat prints! But deer? Just a few.

And the single most prevalent cry now is "WE MUST CONVINCE THEM TO SHORTEN THE SEASON".

It's a soapbox item for me, and a lifelong passion, and it hurts to see where we are. And when I look at South Carolina, I realize how stupid we are.

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2015, 09:30 AM
I totally agree, and the real deal is, it hurts most ponds or lake NOT to take fish out. I have absolutely no issue with a person keeping a trophy. I hate to see big fish regularly cut though. I will clean a big fish if he's gut hooked and not feel a bit of guilt about it. But I'd rather keep 20 one pounders than three or four five pounders, which I've seen many people do. The hardest part is just keeping my mouth shut (surprise!). Too many hunters and fishermen want to tell everybody else what they need to do. As long as someone is within reason, we oughta just keep our damned self to our own business.

As old Hank used to say....

BKB

http://youtu.be/JSeuDDzjIB8

quercus alba
08-09-2015, 09:33 AM
you can thank Steve Wilson, Clintons old crony for the progressive mentality of the AGFC. Course I don't have to tell you that

Buckrub
08-09-2015, 09:37 AM
There are almost no good AGFC commissioners since Hal Honeycutt. They are picked by how much they contribute to the Governor. Still, NJ is having a MESS right now because they elect theirs, and some PETA nut got elected.

quercus alba
08-09-2015, 09:40 AM
I have no problem with political appointments if they're appointed on their credentials and not their political affiliations

No-till Boss
08-09-2015, 09:45 AM
I think the most deer hunters are just too lazy to hunt, just like their working habits. And 60% plus of everyone in the woods are a thief. It's sad what deer hunting has turned into .

Buckrub
08-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Well yeah.

But none are.

None.

What's the last time a true sportsman, an honest guy who cares more about the future of the outdoors in Arkansas than he does hunting at Jackson Point or Brandywine, was on the Commission?

Buckrub
08-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Well.........just read of another first hand Mt. Lion sighting, this time where my late FIL had his camp, or thereabouts..........down the Wild Goose road in the Refuge. That's a far different type of country than where others have been seen. Then a second report of two being seen at a guy's farm.

Also, another guy pointed out that SC is actively trying to eradicate coyotes, and Arkansas does nothing. He also told me that the 'no tag, no count' deal is a state law, and their DNR can't do anything about it, but would if they could.

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2015, 10:36 AM
It's been a while since we talked about this, but isn't Arkansas's and South Carolina's deer population about the same? I wonder what the difference in harvest numbers annually are. With SC's liberal hunting season, if they are taking a lot more deer but their population is pretty stable, would that have more to do with recruitment than it does anything? What drives recruitment the most? That might explain too, the coyote programs.

BKB

Buckrub
08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Mercy. This can of worms is bigger than the ocean.

I don't know if they are taking more. Their seasons are the longest in the US. That does not equate to taking more, which fact is hard to get through the noggins of Arkansas sportsmen.

They don't know for a fact how many they are taking. They don't tag 'em. They don't check 'em. It's same as rabbit or squirrel hunting there.

Coyote programs help, but that's not the answer. The only true difference I can come up with is Arkansas' 3 point rule. We all bought into QDMA, kill the does, try to get 1:1 ratio, all that. It's bunk. You need about 4:1 does to keep enough bucks around to hunt, it turns out. And what works behind a high fence in S. Texas doesn't necessarily work in the jungle thickets of pine cutovers.

One thing I know for a FACT.

I don't know what the answer is. That's what I know.

Captain
08-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Well.........just read of another first hand Mt. Lion sighting, this time where my late FIL had his camp, or thereabouts..........down the Wild Goose road in the Refuge. That's a far different type of country than where others have been seen. Then a second report of two being seen at a guy's farm.
Sorry Bucky but I just don't believe the whole Mt Lion stories. Just saying you read a "first hand" story (like that makes it real) ain't evidence of cats. I can write a very believable story about seeing one and serve it up as evidence. Bet a bunch of people would pass that story around as truth too. Guess that would be a first hand story too.
We (in NC) have been hearing reports of Eastern Cougars (extinct) for as long as I can remember. NEVER has a trail cam ever got a picture. There was one trail cam picture once that made the rounds as "first hand" and "true evidence" until the exact same photo was found from a trail cam in MONTANA! Someone downloaded it and posted their "first hand" story about seeing it and getting proof on their trail cam on NCDEER.com. And of course for months it was very much "real evidence" and proof for all the story tellers and believers. The wildlife commission uncovered the picture from its original source and exposed that first hand story for what it was.
I don't care how many websites or what group has evidence at LEAST 90 percent is BS. And the other 10% is questionable at best.
There are websites on the extinct eastern cougar with all these first hand accounts and it's all fairy dust. Like the passenger pigeon they are gone. And no amount of people saying they see them is gonna bring them back. Just another Bigfoot for folks that want to, or need have a story to tell. It's always I hear of, or I know someone that knows someone that saw one. And of course there is that story of "my uncle ran over one with his car just south of (insert town name), but would not pick it up because they were afraid the wildlife folks would charge him with something."
Shoot one and make a picture and we will talk.

Captain
08-09-2015, 11:29 PM
http://www.ncwildlife.org/News/Blogs/NCWRCBlog/tabid/715/EntryId/19/Wildlife-Mythbusters.aspx

"Finally, one of the most tenacious rumors regards cougars (also called panthers and mountain lions). The Wildlife Commission receives dozens of calls reporting sightings every year. Nearly all are unconfirmed, and many turn out to be bobcats, deer, foxes or coyotes — all of which are common in North Carolina. All confirmed sightings since 1950 turn out to be escaped captive animals, kept as pets. The wild eastern cougar has been extinct in North Carolina for many years. Occasionally, the myth pops up that the Commission, or some other government agency, released cougars to control the feral pig population. This is not true."

BarryBobPosthole
08-10-2015, 12:14 AM
From what I've seen of South Card Lina I think they have more habitat.

BKb

Thumper
08-10-2015, 11:08 AM
I believe half the confusion is that when a BIG cat is spotted in the wild, people simply don't know what they are called (officially). Cougar, Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion, Catamount and who knows what else? Heck, I've seen four in the wild ... 2 in California, 1 in Nevada and 1 in Florida. The Florida cat was easy, I simply assumed it was a "Florida Panther". The one's I saw "out west", I simply called Mt. Lions ... I honestly have no clue what the differences are. I suppose I could study up on it and figure it out.

The cat I spotted here (Florida) was just 30 minutes north of me. I had my business then and I was sent out to a small land clearing site on the outskirts of "The Green Swamp" to clean a piece of heavy equipment they had to perform maintenance on. I had to travel down a dirt road for about a mile off the highway (Hwy. 471). On the way back out, a "panther" crossed the (dirt) road right in front of me. I got an excellent look at the cat as it crossed not 20-30 feet in front of my truck and was moving fairly rapidly, but not overly hurried. I wanted to take pics of it's tracks, but that was the pre-cell phone camera days and I had no camera with me. What concerned me the most was it appeared emaciated. VERY skinny. The crappy part, I was all excited about spotting one there and immediately reported it (via cell phone) to the Florida Fish & Game Dept. What surprised me was they acted like they could give a rat's ass. Sort of a "Oh, yeah, ok" response. They didn't even care for the details on exactly where I was. Now that I think about it, I guess I'm not really sure what their response SHOULD have been ... I just expected a bit more interest I suppose.

No-till Boss
08-10-2015, 11:30 AM
30 years ago I was bow hunting a really remote area, and honestly I was probably trespassing, but very very people bow hunted back then so that's how I justified it. LOL One this day I saw a long tailed cat, never seen one before in Arkansas and I damn sure wasn't a 100% sure of what kinda cat it was even, but it stayed out of bow range, which again was fine with me. I never told a soul, two reason, 1) I didn't wanna have to try and explain it and #2 I wasn't really where I supposed to be. Well, many years after that I was talking to a good friend who lived across the bayou from where I was hunting that day. He got to telling me that he had bought his wife a long tailed cat, she was from Louisiana and they lived back in the sticks. They too had told no-one about their cat purchase. To make a long story short, his cat escaped, which again they told no-one on fears of getting is some kind of trouble for having it. Well, after thinking and tracking back, that was probably the cat I saw, it was only two miles from where it had a escaped and was within two months of it also. Still to this day, and many years later, it was the only questionable cat I've ever saw in Arkansas after a ridiculous amount of hunting time.

HideHunter
08-10-2015, 12:41 PM
" Cougar, Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion, Catamount".. all the same critter.. Florida panther is a subspecies.. They would breed readily with 'western' cats but biologists hope to preserve the pure strain. I'm jealous you got to see one.

My folks saw a jaguarondi just a couple hundred yards from their home in Chassowitzka (FL).. Hadn't been for google - I'm not sure I'd ever figured that one out..

Thumper
08-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Hidey-Ho, the Florida Panther I saw was either sick (didn't "act" sick though) or starving I think. Then again, maybe I was just expecting a heavier build. It was the dead of summer, so I'm sure they shed a lot of their coat down here. It just didn't look all that healthy to me ... much skinnier than I'd expect. Kinda like a skinny old mangy looking coyote when you're expecting a healthier-looking "dog" build. I look at those pics Big Sky posts and they look NOTHING like the 'yotes I've seen here. Ours generally look like skinny, mangy dogs. Hmmm, kinda the same description as that panther ... a skinny, mangy (but big) cat.

BTW ... I had to Google " jaguarundi". ;)

Buckrub
08-10-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't know what to say to you. I guess you're telling me I haven't seen or heard them. I guess you're telling me that the guys in our camp, long time trusted and experienced hunters, haven't seen them and couldn't get a shot? I guess you're saying there aren't literally hundreds of game cam pictures, many clear as Len's wedding photos, in this state. I guess this guy didn't kill one:
http://www.agfc.com/Pages/newsDetails.aspx?show=952

I actually don't understand why you are incredulous? To what end?

Our AGFC has done the same thing as NC has done, denied, denied, denied. I got the PR Director of AGFC in my kitchen (at camp) and grilled him. He 'has to' state there are none (this was 5 years ago). Now, he admits they are here. Their CURRENT statement is that they are here, all right, but there are no females. I don't know........I see prints of cubs and mama's, but whatever.

I can't stop stating what is obvious. I don't know why the reluctance to believe in the face of such evidence, but that's fine. It's a free country.

Buckrub
08-10-2015, 01:32 PM
AGFC says they were here in the 60's. Now they're coming back.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&type=csp_otbrw9_15_32&param1=1&param2=cd%3D2XzuyEtN2Y1L1QzuyByEtB0FyCzzyB0A0AtByC tC0E0B0D0DtN0D0Tzu0StCtAtCyCtN1L2XzutAtFtCtBtFyDtF tDtN1L1CzutN1L1G1B1V1N2Y1L1Qzu2StD0EyEtDyD0EtA0FtG yByD0D0AtGtB0E0AzytGtAyE0DyBtGyBtBtCtAyE0B0AtAyEzz yCtC2QtN1M1F1B2Z1V1N2Y1L1Qzu2S0B0AtB0F0E0CtDzytGzz tDyCtBtGyEtCyCtDtGzztAzzzztG0EyCyB0A0F0ByBtA0AtByB yC2QtN0A0LzutB%26cr%3D1154206842%26a%3Dcsp_otbrw9_ 15_32%26f%3D4%26cat%3Dweb%26sid%3Dfcac3a0514a8ccb5 098a1335eefd8063%26sesid%3D85f5cefb9f051ffefc2f7b5 e44fc35ce%26ip%3D66.158.182.134%26b%3DFirefox%26bv %3D39.0%26os%3DWindows%2B10%26pa%3Dcassiopesa&p=mt.+lions+in+arkansas

http://www.katv.com/story/24068636/game-and-fish-says-mountain-lions-are-in-arkansas-but-arent-breeding

From the University zoologists:
http://libinfo.uark.edu/aas/issues/1973v27/v27a14.pdf

Captain
08-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Don’t’ get me wrong I ain’t saying there are no Cougars in Arkansas or NC for that matter. In fact I’ll go far enough to say to a level of certainty there ARE cougars (Mt. Lions) in about every state. Now hold that thought and read.
When old Chris Columbus found this place there were Eastern cougars, elk, and Buffalo in NC. But they are all gone. Not far from me (Shelby NC) there is a large herd of Buffalo, and in the mountains of NC there are herds of Elk, but neither are from what was here then. They have been brought in and reintroduced.
They are NOT here because their numbers are increasing elsewhere and are expanding their territory like deer and coyotes have done.
Right or wrong, legal or illegal, Folk buy cougar kittens (cubs whatever) because they think it would be cool to own one. Later the dang things grow up and are not as “cute” are they once were. Being attached to the thing instead of killing it or having it live it’s life out in a cage or pen they take them to some wildlife wilderness area and quietly and release them.
There are sighting of them from time to time in this state as in others because they don’t know where the wilderness area property lines and they are looking for partners, food, traveling etc.
There was a place called Pets Unusual in North Carolina that operated until just a couple of years ago. I remember the year the movie Talladega Nights came out they sold every cougar cub they had or could get. I’m certain some of these NC rednecks decided to release those things when they grew up.
There have been two Mt Lion (cougars, whatever) hit by cars in NC and turned in to Wildlife that were declawed. But the eastern cougar foundation people got all hot and bothered until the declawed fact came out…
And there’s another issue this group of anti hunter folks started the Eastern Cougar Foundation with all these “first Hand” sightings and all kind of evidence etc. and for 20 years they took folks money and did all this research…. Guess what, THEY finally have conceded the eastern cougar is extinct… So now they have changed their group to the Cougar Rewilding Foundation. I guess so they can continue to take Whale Kisser and Tree Hugger’s money.
It’s just like the bigfoot people as long as people will make up the stories folks will try to make money off of it.
So in short I’m certain there are a cougar (mountain lion) or two running around Arkansas, NC and other states, but what folks are seeing are released over grown pets. There is not WILD bunch of cougars expanding their range because of overpopulation in their home ranges. I mean Bucky already says there is no deer in that part of the state so why would cougars come there to hunt?
The one claim that makes me pull my last hair out is when (and it happens a lot) people seeing a Black Panther. I ain’t talking about the racist group I’m talking about a cat…. NO SUCH THING….

Buckrub
08-10-2015, 01:40 PM
I understand what you are saying.

As I asked the PR Director............"If every Mt.Lion is feral, how long do they live? Wouldn't all of our deer be the product of feral deer, since they were all brought from Wisconsin in the 30's? Why does it matter how a Mt. Lion began his life, if there are a bunch out there, how does it help to say they are all escaped pets? If they are not breeding, are you saying folks release dozens every year?"

He never answered. He just looked at me and smirked.

I truly don't want to get into an argument with you over it. I know what is what, and it's first hand. I have no benefit in either convincing someone, or being wrong, either way.

Captain
08-10-2015, 01:54 PM
http://m.thecabin.net/news/lifestyle/features/2011-10-16/cougars-officially-extinct#gsc.tab=0

"Why does the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission insist there are no cougars in the state? Wait a minute. What the AGFC says, and has said repeatedly over a number of years is that there is no evidence of a breeding population of cougars in the wild in Arkansas. The agency does not deny that there may be some of the big cats roaming around, but the opinion is those are escaped pets or deliberately released pets.

Someone buys a baby cougar. Oh, how cute. The cat grows up. Maybe it is declawed. A hundred-pound-plus cougar, declawed or not, is a factor around the house. The fun and games with the baby cougar disappear, and the owner tries to give it away. Nothing doing. So under cover of darkness, the cougar is taken “out in the woods” and turned loose.

This is cruel to the animal, a pet since it was a baby. It is forced to fend for itself, find food or die of starvation."

The EASTERN COUGAR is the cougar that originally inhabited Arkansas and since now they are EXTINCT (and have been through all these sighting for 20 years) what you have now is cougars being released and/or perhaps breeding but you don't have the eastern cougar "coming back" as you stated
"I got the PR Director of AGFC in my kitchen (at camp) and grilled him."
And if you have me in your kitchen grilling me I'd admit to smoking on the Hindenburg to get out... ;)

Buckrub
08-10-2015, 01:57 PM
OK then. I'm sure you're right.

Thumper
08-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Cappy quote:

This is cruel to the animal, a pet since it was a baby. It is forced to fend for itself, find food or die of starvation."

What's even more cruel is the fact they're usually having to fend for themselves WITHOUT CLAWS! Not an easy task for a cat.

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Because if they're "wild", they're a protected endangered species and that requires management plans and all kinds of other stuff that's easier to ignore for as long as you can. Sort of like those reddish looking coyotes I've seen pictures of down in the Carolinas. Definitely not a red wolf. No sir.

Other than thinking it might be kind of cool to have them back in VA, I don't really have a dog in this fight. Last I heard, our game department's position was that there are none in VA. But, it's illegal to shoot one. What's that tell you?

Captain
08-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Yea one of them reddish coyotes weighted 62 pounds too.... :D
But I will tell you legal or not (period) as far as cougars go if I'm hunting and i see one, you will see one. :D

Captain
08-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Arkansas officials note that while the photos of the mountain lion confirm its presence, they don't provide any clue to the animal's origins. They say more than 100 cougars are kept as pets in Arkansas, and without more information they can't rule out the possibility that the cat in Scott's photographs either escaped or was released from captivity.

Thumper
08-10-2015, 03:06 PM
This all begs a question ... when does a species become a "native population"? Wild hogs aren't native to this area, they were brought over by the Spanish/European explorers/settlers as food stock and many escaped their pens to become feral. They're listed as "game animals" by our Game Commission ... at least I assume they are, as they're listed under our hunting season and bag limits, even though hog hunting is open year round with no limits. Where/when do they draw the line?

BarryBobPosthole
08-10-2015, 03:23 PM
I've never seen nor heard a panther but the owner of the place Trav and I leased for deer hunting a few years back claimed he'd seen them on his property. One of my favorite places to hunt there was with my back up against a rock bluff that was about 100 feet tall. Whether they existed or not, I can tell you I kept my eyes peeled just in case! And for rattlesnakes too!

BKB

HideHunter
08-10-2015, 07:52 PM
The one claim that makes me pull my last hair out is when (and it happens a lot) people seeing a Black Panther. I ain’t talking about the racist group I’m talking about a cat…. NO SUCH THING….

I did the research on this one years ago when we had a rash of "sightings". You're right Cap. There has *never* - as in *ever* - been documented evidence of a melanistic mt. lion, cougar, catamount, puma..... No mounts, no pictures and not even an antique hide hanging in an old hunting cabin. Just, apparently, doesn't happen. There are black jaguars and leopards.. if you have one of these you have bigger problems than mt. lions. ;)

btw.. DNR said "forever* we had none here (mt. lions).. Then they had one shot, one road kill and one hit by a train in about a year's time. Now we have "as many as 15 statewide". No documented evidence of a breeding population.

Captain
08-10-2015, 08:21 PM
The black panther thing has been "seen" around here since I was a kid. And many times they refer to them as a Florida Black Panther.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING! and I cannot tell you how many first hand sighting are reported each year. (In NC)
I'm sure people are seeing something, I don't mean to sound like folks are just making it up (but in some cases they are). But probably most of the times they see a dog crossing the road really fast at night or a coyote or bobcat or young. bear? Who knows?
The average person could not tell a cougar track apart from a dog, coyote or bobcat. And certainly not a mom and cub track... Could be anything. But I do know there is a "Need" for people to believe in (and see and report) black panthers, bigfoots, lizard man and a sundry of other stuff.

What made it worse is when the football team came to North Carolina and they use a Black Panther for the mascot of the Carolina Panthers...

Who did the research in that was a real brain surgeon. At LEAST Florida, Jacksonville team called themselves Jaguars....

Captain
08-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Of course Charlotte had to put two of these black panthers at the entrance to Carolinas stadium.... So I guess folks think they are real... 5350

HideHunter
08-10-2015, 08:58 PM
"I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Black Panther party. ... " ;)

Captain
08-10-2015, 09:04 PM

Captain
08-10-2015, 09:12 PM
This is a first hand sighting with cellphone video of a lion in a neighborhood in Wisconsin, and it ain't the first sighting there. A lion was reported there 2 years ago. Police say he was stalking deer. Guess they are expanding their range too.
Hummmmmm.... Wonder if there is a breeding population already. If someone shoots him I guess that means he is really wild and not someone's pet that was released or escaped.
Where's the good dentist when you need one?

http://abc13.com/news/lion-reported-in-wisconsin-neighborhood/871883/

No-till Boss
08-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Sex panther, 60% of the time, it works every-time.......

Trav
08-10-2015, 09:40 PM
I know for years the Oklahoma dept of wildlife denied that we had them in Oklahoma. They have since changed their stance after several have been hit by cars. One was killed by a train in western Ok that had been tagged in Wyoming a couple years before. One actually showed up in somebody's tree in Tulsa and they called the police. A couple of zoo keepers came out with them and darted it. That was on the local news. As far as personal accounts about 6 years ago Hombre and I were turkey hunting in western OK on the Black Kettle National Grassland and stopped in the U.S. forestry service office to get maps. We asked a U.S. Forrest Ranger if we had lions in OK and he said follow me. He took us Around the corner to a full body mount and said it was killed about 5 miles from Cheyenne, OK which was about 10 miles from where we were. Now this was before the state had changed their official stance on them. The ranger said the state was full of shit because Texas and New Mexico we're known to have self sustaining populations and it would only make sense with what we know about how far they range. If that one that had been collared in Wyoming can make it all the way down here I have no doubt that a few from NM and TX could wander over.

Now I am not saying there is one behind every tree but I do believe there is a small population here.

FooBang
08-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Aug 15? That's incredible. Also my birthday. And Post-hole's. Seems apropo.

Buckrub
08-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Posthole's is the 16th. He's one day younger than you.

snort

quercus alba
08-11-2015, 04:43 PM
My birthday was saturday, today is my anniversary. have reach full fledged curmudgeonhood

busy month august is, didn't see no catamounts tho

Buckrub
08-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Happy Birthday! You ain't very old though (a good thing).

Happy Anniversary. Poor woman.

No-till Boss
08-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Where do ya''ll see how old everyone is ?

Nandy
08-11-2015, 07:14 PM

secret committee....lol!

No-till Boss
08-11-2015, 07:42 PM
secret committee....lol!

Oh.....

Thumper
08-11-2015, 08:08 PM

Some just know, some list their B/D in their profiles and some have Facebook pages with that info.

'Course, there's always the Secret Committee ... the S/C is all-knowing! ;)

No-till Boss
08-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Now I feel like y'all talk about me behind my back, not that I don't deserve it, it just the fact that y'all do .....lol

Thumper
08-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Now I feel like y'all talk about me behind my back, not that I don't deserve it, it just the fact that y'all do .....lol

If you only knew ..... IF you only knew!! ;)

Nandy
08-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Telling you Jim, that NTB is a real pric.....
PS - wrong button, was supposed to push the secret committee section....
:chainsaw

No-till Boss
08-11-2015, 09:53 PM
No telling what I've got myself into ......lol

Nandy
08-11-2015, 10:04 PM
No, btw, when are you installing bling bling rims on that tractor?

No-till Boss
08-12-2015, 05:59 AM
No, btw, when are you installing bling bling rims on that tractor?

They're expensive enough without those !

Nandy
08-12-2015, 04:02 PM
I can only imagine a big green tractor driven down the field and once the tractor stop the bling bling is still turning on the rim... I bet larke has them! He is special like that! RLMAO!