PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes this is just too easy ...

Thumper
08-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Lynn and I were headed to an early dinner this afternoon, but on the way there I spotted a thrift store and decided to stop and take a quick look around. Cool! Within 20 minutes I found a vintage "collector" tape measure (I sold an identical one just last month that I'd bought at an estate sale), a vintage postal scale (First Class mail was 3-cents/oz), four "kitchen knives" (no Cutco's dang it, but just one of these sells for $40+) and a set of poultry shears from Solingen Germany (where the Cadillac versions of cutlery are produced) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solingen . Sorry to be so vague with my descriptions, but as you know, I'm playing against the internet search game when I post here before I list stuff to sell. Total value? An easy $125-$150. Total expenditure? $3.00! :D

Arty
08-09-2015, 07:42 AM
I've hit dang near every thrift stores, DAV's, etc in half of Virginia (remember I drive a lot for work)...
And all I ever see is racks of clothing, old computer monitors, junk dishes, shoes, and well, that's about it.

Must be a Florida thing to have that kind of stuff in a "junk store"

Chicken Dinner
08-09-2015, 08:02 AM
I'm with you RT. I tried popping into the local Goodwill a couple of times looking for cast iron and didn't see a darn thing I could imagine anyone wanting to buy.

Thumper
08-09-2015, 09:10 AM
I avoid the Goodwill's and "some" of the Salvation Army stores (but DO check them out from time to time). I do hit the DAV's and many, many "church related" or charity type stores. Lighthouse Ministries is one of my favorites. The one I hit yesterday was a Kiwanis store. You have to acquire an eye for "good junk" and there's a bit of a learning curve. I walk into one of those places and cool stuff just jumps out of the nooks and crannies. I do VERY well with kitchen knives, especially smaller "paring" type knives. The knives shown above are 2 - Case's and 2 - Chicago Cutlery's. Hint: If you're in the market for knives, I'll fill you in on a secret. (I'm ALWAYS on the search for Cutcos and score every once in a while). On the shelves you'll find junky butter knives, misc, flatware, plastic spatulas, etc, etc. Many of these stores hide the "real" knives behind the counter in case some weirdo comes in and decides to start cutting people. (Thrift stores attract all types) I always go straight to the check-out area and ask if they have any kitchen knives hidden behind the counter. ;)

I picked up a Case P210 a month and a half ago for 25-cents (the going rate for knives at a thrift store or estate sale), and it sold at auction for $146.94! (that little Case shown above can bring $40-$50)

Buckrub
08-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Hate to blow smoke up Thump's already full skirts (hahaha) but he's VERY good at this. This ain't easy, no matter what he says. I am glad he decided to sit up in bed that day, and that he's figured out how to eat.........(cause THAT engine dang sure don't run on air!!).

Course, he just keeps posting pictures of crap I have laying around. Anyone of y'all are welcome in my home.

But not him.

quercus alba
08-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Ah the cat is out of the bag, Bucky has all this stuff that thump finds at yard sales, Thump has buyers who pay obscene amounts for stuff, Bucky is always broke........................I'm seeing a pattern here:biggrin

Thumper
08-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Well thanks Bucky .... I "think". (?) ;)

CD, I work at a HUGE advantage. Sure, I'm always on the look-out for "good" cast iron ... and I do stumble upon it on occassion. The advantage I have is, I'm looking for ANYTHING I can resell and make a buck on. If I walked in with ONE thing in mind, I'd most often leave disappointed. Basically, you'ree trying to paint a masterpiece with one color of paint, while I'm doing it with a full palette.

It's fun and it pays for our "recreation". Weekend get-a-ways are a real treat for us. We're in Ft. Meyers this weekend at a nice hotel where we (since Lynn get's the employee benifits) have a free room, free internet, free parking AND free breakfast. We load up on a late breakfast after sleeping in, leave the hotel to "do our thing", then usually have a late lunch (or late supper?), then we have snacks we bring with us for later in the evening. Even then, we always check with Groupon when we want to go out to eat and usually plan our meals around their offerings. It makes for a VERY inexpensive weekend.

Plus, this weekend for example, I haven't lifted a finger, yet I've had $162.50 in sales since we left the house 1 1/2 days ago. Our gas/food/misc. shopping is paid for with some $$$ left over, plus I put in 20 mins. of "work" to procure junk I can sell for another $150. How can I complain? :D

Anyway, youse dufes have fun. We're about to check out and go do some things, then head on home late this afternoon. Once back home, I have to package some items to drop in the mail tomorrow. :thumbsup

Chicken Dinner
08-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Well, I did make $57.83 this morning just by opening my mail. So, the day is not entirely lost. Evidently, I was the victim of some sales tax scam by AT&T and the class action legal sharks sent me a check. I wonder how much the lawyers made?

Thumper
08-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Ha ha! We were on the way out of town and came to a Goodwill Store, so we pulled in to have a look. Within 2 mins. I came across a couple of cast iron skillets! They're marked at $3.99 each. Want me to pick 'em up for ya' CD? ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-09-2015, 02:18 PM
No, but you can pick up a very tall stool if they have one.

Thumper
08-09-2015, 04:52 PM
:) :) :)

Thumper
08-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Walked in the door this afternoon and as I was locking it behind me, I heard an eBay sale come through on my cell phone. I came up to my office and exactly 10 minutes after the first, another sale registered. So, I made 7 sales for a total of $225.00 in the 48 hours we were away. That more than paid our expenses for the weekend, including gas. A piece of cake! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2015, 08:33 PM
That's just the awesomest thing I've heard all weekend.

You da man, Jimbo!

Did ya at least get laid this weekend?

BKB

Thumper
08-09-2015, 08:37 PM
Did ya at least get laid this weekend? BKB

Ha ha ha! ONLY thanks to the miracle of modern chemistry! :toothy

Arty
08-09-2015, 08:50 PM
did ya at least get laid this weekend? BKB

Why couldn't you have said "this is a rhetorical question" ?!?

Buckrub
08-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Why couldn't he have said "yes"?

Thumper
08-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Why couldn't he have said "yes"?

I kind'a did, didn't I? ;)

I ain't proud ... since the hospital stay, I've needed a little bit of a helping hand. According to the doc, it's a common side affect of one of my meds. Heck, THAT was a relief! At first, I was afraid I'd worn ol' Buford out! :hair

BarryBobPosthole
08-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Hehehehehehe....he said 'helping hand'......

BKB

Thumper
08-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Hehehehehehe....he said 'helping hand'......BKB

Ha ha ha! Well, at least it ain't MY hand! ;)

Captain
08-09-2015, 09:42 PM
OMG! TMI......

Arty
08-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Like I said.... Should have been rhetorical. I KNEW where this would head

Buckrub
08-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Arty said 'head'.

Thumper
08-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Like I said.... Should have been rhetorical. I KNEW where this would head

Ain't MY fault! I was mindin' my own business 'til P-hole got all nosy and stuff. ;)

No-till Boss
08-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Clarence and Buford......