PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a neat little thrift store find ...

Thumper
08-13-2015, 09:00 AM
I was running some errands yesterday and decided to stop at a little thrift store in town. I didn't have much time and just did a quick walk-through. One small item caught my eye and I picked it up. It's a bronze headstone marker for a Methodist Minister (or I suppose it could serve other purposes) and it was obvious it's never been used/mounted. Anyway, it's 5 1/4" across and weighs over a pound! How could I go wrong for a quarter? I picked it up, got rid of a dime, two nickles and five pennies that were cluttering my pocket, and brought it home. I decided to look it up on the net when I got home and the silly thing sells new for $115.00!! Sheesh!

I guess the foundry made two options, one says "minister" and the other says "clergy".

https://www.cokesbury.com/forms/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=348116

Here's a pic of the one I found (and a pic of how they're used) ...

Bwana
08-13-2015, 09:31 AM
You sure have a knack for finding the good stuff Thumper. Cool.

Captain
08-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Yea that's pretty cool. I don't know how you find all this stuff.
Neat.

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 12:04 PM
See what I mean?

No one else does this...

Thumper
08-13-2015, 12:18 PM
It's called persistence. If I pass by a thrift store and I have a few minutes, I'll stop for a quick look around. You never know what you'll find and the fun part is, the inventory is constantly changing. Don't see anything cool toady? Wait until tomorrow! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2015, 12:38 PM
I sure like hearing about you making money on this stuff. But in all honesty its the stories behind them that really makes me looking forward to hearing about your latest find. That's just cool as shit.

BKB