PDA

View Full Version : Gots a question for youse techies ...

Thumper
08-13-2015, 12:27 PM
I've always had Norton for my anti-virus program and really haven't had any problems. I just picked up my new 'puter from Best Buy and it came with a 1-yr. subscription of WebRoot. I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean squat as I don't follow this sort of stuff. Well, I called Norton to cancel my present subscription and they fell all over themselves trying to keep me as a customer. They offered the next year free and three years after that at half price (half of what I'm paying now). They also gave me 60-days to make a decision in case I want to try WebRoot first.

Ok, I only want to compare Ford and Chevy here ... I don't need any "buy a Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, etc. etc." ... I just want to know which you think is better between the TWO ... WebRoot or Norton.

Anyone have a clue?

Oh, BTW, I asked three different Geeks what they preferred PERSONALLY and they all said WebRoot. But ... Best Buy doesn't support Norton on their products, so it's the (possibly) biased answer I expected. One explained the differences and she immediately went over my non-geek head ... but it "sounded" good! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2015, 12:37 PM
I think Apple is better.

BKB

Hombre
08-13-2015, 12:41 PM
If it were me I would stick with Norton. IMO your tune-up / refreshes will be better.

PS - You should of bought a MAC

Hombre
08-13-2015, 12:44 PM
For a computer I completely agree MAC....for phone there is 0 chance of me ever buying one of those POS. The closed ecosystem on their phones sucks, interoperability with other devices I have sucks, and they're made to last 2 years IMO at least that was my experience.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2015, 12:50 PM
I'll defend myself on my limited experience with iPhones by saying that going into it my expectations were low. I used a Blackberry for many years and it was like going from the bronze age to the 21st century in one step. I actually hated my Blackberry for a long time. Its stupid to hate a machine, but I had genuine hate for that thing.

BKB

Thumper
08-13-2015, 01:01 PM
If it were me I would stick with Norton. IMO your tune-up / refreshes will be better.

PS - You should of bought a MAC

Well Hombre, coming from you, that opinion carries a lot of weight. I'll put a check in the Norton column so far.

P.S. I WOULD have bought a MAC if I were made of money! ;)

airbud7
08-13-2015, 01:09 PM
P.S. I WOULD have bought a MAC if I were made of money! ;)

You mean waste of money....A new $3000 Mac has about $700 in parts the other $2300 goes to Apple...And you cant even game on it...

Thump...I'm running an i7 4790k-GTX 780ti on 3 monitors and it will kick any MAC's ass...

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 01:21 PM
I have used Web root for years.

Captain
08-13-2015, 02:18 PM
You mean waste of money....A new $3000 Mac has about $700 in parts the other $2300 goes to Apple...And you cant even game on it...

Thump...I'm running an i7 4790k-GTX 780ti on 3 monitors and it will kick any MAC's ass...

HAHAHAHAAHA This from a guy that disappeared from this site for a year or so and when he came back said the reason he had not been around was his computer had crashed....

airbud7
08-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Sort of^ yep...lightning can strike an Mac too, I think?

Hombre
08-13-2015, 03:48 PM
I have used Web root for years.

Ya but you do general surfing. I suspect that thump spends a lot of time on "the deep web" so not to be traced and it's far more virus intensive! He can't have those ladyboy searches coming back on him.

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Aha. Good point.

One good thing, Webroot has protected my computers from lightning strikes so far.

Nandy
08-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Thumpy, I cant say anything about webroot as i have never use it. I had taken Norton off every machine that was brought to me to fix but we did had it on the corporate world for some time before they moved to McAfee...
I did a little of research on the net and looks like webroot is just a bit ahead of Norton. This read is not too technical and kind of goes in line with most I read.

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/anti-virus-software-webroot-vs.-norton.html

If Norton is begging for your business and it is making you such a sweet deal I dont think you will be wrong with them.

Captain
08-13-2015, 04:23 PM
If I were running a virus prone PC ( ;) ) I'd have Karpersky antivirus on it. If I had an iPhone want to be (droid) I'd have their Karpersky Droid version on it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kaspersky-antivirus-2014-3-user-1-year-subscription-windows/1611583.p?id=1219057058257&skuId=1611583

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 04:31 PM
You'd buy a Russian made virus protector??????

Not me. But then....................

Nandy
08-13-2015, 04:43 PM
You'd buy a Russian made virus protector??????

Bucky, it takes one to beat one...

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Valid point. It also takes one to embed spyware well.

Nandy
08-13-2015, 04:59 PM
yeah, but that can happen anywhere. Most of these type software are watch and tested by the security and threat community and if the were to install any rogue software it would be found in a matter of day.... That is one of the reason I never ever let any of my software upgrade on it's own. I upgrade software when the upgrade has a fix for a problem I have or has added functionality I need. Otherwise never!!!

Captain
08-13-2015, 05:04 PM
You'd buy a Russian made virus protector?????? Not me. But then....................

OKG. I KNOW you're not serious.
If you are, you need to put on your tin foil hat.
Do you know the nationality of all the programmers at whatever companies virus software you use? Never mind this is to nuts to even respond to.

Nandy
08-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Well, IT IS a Russian company but their programers are everywhere. However, a respectable company such as this is not pulling a stunt... If it where the newly form Wtua$KJA@ Security firm from Russia that would be a different story.

Captain
08-13-2015, 05:42 PM
My point is you know for certain that neither Norton or McAfee have any Russian programmers working with their virus codes or software?
Paranoia is an awful thing.

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 05:46 PM
I want to respond, and my response would make sense, but I'm just not going to. There's just no point.

I'm sure Kapersky is wonderful. I'm sure it works well.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2015, 06:04 PM
I'd bet a pretty good amount of money that the coders on just about any security app are liekly in Bangalore, India. The designers and analysts might be somewhere's else, but the line by line coding is done by some guy in India making about a nanofucket per hjour.

BKB

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm sure you are correct.

Meaningless to my point, but still right, I'm sure.

Next subject?

Thumper
08-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Sheesh, back to my initial post ...
Ok, I only want to compare Ford and Chevy here ... I don't need any "buy a Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, etc. etc." ... I just want to know which you think is better between the TWO ... WebRoot or Norton.

Captain
08-13-2015, 06:48 PM

Neither.... Karpersky :D

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Kalashnikov.

BKB

Captain
08-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Kalashnikov. BKB
Naw, I'm sure there is embed spyware in all them AK's

Hombre
08-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Buy a Ford run iver the computer you bought, take it back and exchange for a mac ... prob solved

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Naw, I'm sure there is embed spyware in all them AK's

I can take the ridicule. But I originally didn't say anything about spyware. I said I wouldn't buy Russian. I MEANT that I didn't want profit going to Russia. But assumptions were made, and I did say there might be spyware embedded. Unlikely, but possible. Who writes the code, what their nationality is, is immaterial. The point is who is in charge of the code.

But hey. It was my opinion of something technical, and of course my opinion is invalid. I get that. I started by answering Thump's direct question, as to whether anyone had direct knowledge of Webroot. I did, and I said so.

Y'all buy whatever you want. I'm sure it's all wonderful stuff..........

Captain
08-13-2015, 08:02 PM
I stand corrected. All the profits from the AK's go to Russia then.

Nandy
08-13-2015, 08:04 PM

How the hell are you surprised this got sidetrack, it is GH classic at best.

FooBang
08-15-2015, 09:39 AM
What Cappy said. Karpersky works well. I use AVG, I dunno why. Maybe it's just that I've used it for so long and never had a virus?

Nandy
08-15-2015, 11:15 AM
What Cappy said. Karpersky works well. I use AVG, I dunno why. Maybe it's just that I've used it for so long and never had a virus?

another AVG user, glad to know great minds think alike!

FooBang
08-15-2015, 04:01 PM
That's two IT folk for AVG.. Hm. Maybe there's something here..

Thumper
08-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Who wants to be just average? :confused: