PDA

View Full Version : I have no luck

Hombre
08-13-2015, 04:05 PM
The guy that's my fishing buddy here just did the Oregon Tuna Classic. I did the Washington Tuna Classic with him last year, but didn't go on this one. Of course on this one the won. I'm not sure how many boats but I'd guess 50+ they pulled in around $18K and qualified for the Worlds Off Shore Fishing tournament in Costa Rica. So basically everyone on the boat now gets an expense paid guided fishing trip to Costa Rica for 4 days of the tourney.

All of the guys on that boat though are great guys and have spent years fishing the tournament for it to pay off is great to see. Side benefit I got about 40 pounds of albacore tuna as a consolation prize.

If you've never albacore tuna fished its pretty much a circus on water, and worth a try.

Captain
08-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Man that's cool. Congrats to them.
I'd like to hook up on one someday.

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Cat food.

:blob10

Hombre
08-13-2015, 04:37 PM
If you're ever out this far west that can probably be arranged. Two years ago I took the father-in-law. We left around 4:30 to get on the water around 5:15. It takes about 2 hours to get 40 miles out and we fished all day I think we ended up catching around 35 that ranged in size from 20-30lbs. We hit the docks about 6:30 and spent the next 3 hours cleaning fish. The only problem was by the time we got back to the place we were staying around 10:00 I was ready to sit and have a few drinks and talk about the day....he was asleep within 10 minutes.

Come to think of it he might of still been a little sore with me. He drove (won't fly) from Tulsa - Washington. He called the night before hitting Oregon and said I'm going to stop in Oregon and sleep there then push on to Washington the next day. I said you want a good steak when you get in go to the Acropolis...and he did. Got a text that night "this is a titty bar" ...to which I replied No go read the sign out front its "A steak house with entertainment"

ps...the food really is good.

airbud7
08-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Cool stuff Hombre...the only tuna I get lately is....

Anyone know why its $1.00 a can now?

Hombre
08-13-2015, 04:44 PM
I usually take quite a bit and pressure cook it so it stays longer. I'll tell you its far better than the can you can buy at the store, but I also put Jalepenos in with it when pressure cooking.

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 04:46 PM
I'd have to guess Thump, Len, and Nandy can vouch for what the best tuna is.............

Nandy
08-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Got a text that night "this is a titty bar" ...to which I replied No go read the sign out front its "A steak house with entertainment"

ps...the food really is good.

While working on Hickory before Bellsouth we used to have lunch in this strip bar. Food was good and the dayshift ladies were a bit different than the night ladies in which it felt more like a hooters than a strip bar.

airbud7
08-13-2015, 04:51 PM
it felt more like a hooters than a strip bar.

Keyword: Felt^...:D

Hombre
08-13-2015, 04:57 PM
uh-hu Nandy.....you can tell that story at home :D .....

Nandy
08-13-2015, 05:00 PM
Keyword: Felt^...:D

And it felt good!!!!!

Nandy
08-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Hombre, that was during the previous administration, she did not care where I got hungry as long as I ate home!!! lol!

quercus alba
08-13-2015, 06:35 PM
let's see, they fish with you and they lose. They fish without you and they win, hmmmm

:lurk

Hombre
08-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Ya, I'm a pretty shitty fisherman by my own admission. You can ask BBP I'll go on about any fishing trip but for me it more about hanging out with buddies and having some beers, fishing seems to get in the way. Its not that when I go I don't fish I just kind of make my BSing,Fishing, drinking ratio more of a 33/33/33 split. <-- and thats probably why I am usually on the recreational trip and seem to be off the pro-tour invite list.

Buckrub
08-13-2015, 07:11 PM
But it gets you on my invite list.

Not an easy thing to do.

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Boh, how does that albacore compare to yellow fin when you steak it out and grill it?

BKB

Hombre
08-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Its about exactly the same. I either sashimi it or sear it on the grill

BarryBobPosthole
08-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Man, I'll bet that is awesome fresh.

I've been using Old Bay Blackened seasoning on my ahi steaks and grill them over a really hot fire for just a couple minutes on each side to carmelize it. It's better than the Zararans because it has the hint of Old Bay flavor to it.

BKB

Bwana
08-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Sorry you missed out Hombre, it sounds like they had a great day and will have an ever greater adventure in Costa Rica...oops, was trying to make you feel better but in hindsight, you're missing out. ;)