PDA

View Full Version : Well dang!

Thumper
08-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Ebay exploded this afternoon. I've had four sales, basically within minutes of each other. A nice sale came through just a few mins. ago ... a VERY nice cast iron piece from a recent estate sale. I kinda liked this one and almost hate to see it go ... but EVERYTHING is for sale! :D

This just brought in $187.50 (heck, I didn't even clean it!) ;)

FooBang
08-16-2015, 06:08 PM
That looks like it's worth more than that, but I guess you know your stuff. My mom has a cast iron skillet (from the 1800's) that I looked up-- $1800, and that was 20 years ago..

Thumper
08-16-2015, 06:47 PM
$1800!!!???? Dang! What was it? Any idea? I sure want to look out for one! Honestly, I have no clue whatsoever what kind of skillet would bring that kind of money. I've sold quite a few from the late 1800's - early 1900's.

I could have maybe held out for a few more bucks on the dutch oven with an auction, but I hate auctions (don't have the patience) and I have a pile of the stuff to move. I just listed it with a "buy it now" of $187.50. (it's ok, I made elebenty-bazillion % profit) ;)

My house is starting to look like a warehouse! I still have a stack of cast iron to get rid of here, but just have to get around to taking pics and listing the stuff.

P.S. This dutch oven would have brought more if I'd had the trivet that goes with it.

FooBang
08-16-2015, 10:58 PM
I dunno what kind it was-- I was using it in college and was going to throw it away. My mom told me that it was expensive, so I looked up the value. As an aside, I did accidentally throw away all of her good silver she lent to me! I thought it was junk because it was all tarnished.. What an idiot! Anyway, who gives good silver to a college kid?

Thumper
08-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Dang rich kids! ;)

Arty
08-17-2015, 08:14 AM
I dunno what kind it was-- I was using it in college and was going to throw it away. My mom told me that it was expensive, so I looked up the value. As an aside, I did accidentally throw away all of her good silver she lent to me! I thought it was junk because it was all tarnished.. What an idiot! Anyway, who gives good silver to a college kid?

Meanwhile I ate ramen from a plastic cup and used McDonald's straws as chopsticks.
I didn't even have a microwave. Had to walk down the hall to the rich kids dorm room and use his!

FooBang
08-17-2015, 09:30 AM
Far from rich, was closer to the other end of the spectrum. Arty, I ate my share of ramen, too-- In fact, I remember one Christmas the only thing I had in my fridge was ketchup, so I ate ketchup soup for Christmas dinner!

Thumper
08-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Had to walk down the hall to the rich kids dorm room and use his!

That was Foo's room! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-17-2015, 09:35 AM
i remember making weinie water soup a few times. them was some poor times.

bKB

HideHunter
08-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Nice piece.. I've got a Gris Tite-Top I've been offered $850 for..

Thumper
08-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Dang! I had this listed at $187.50 for 3 weeks (20 days actually) before it sold. I need to find the models youse dufes are hoarding! :(

Oh well, with a $25 lay-out, I'm happy. ;)

BTW ... I remember one morning in college, I had Corn Flakes and Budweiser (didn't have any milk) for breakfast. (true story)

P.S. Youse dufes had it easy ... microwaves hadn't even been invented when I was in school!

Chicken Dinner
08-17-2015, 10:39 AM
I remember one semester my weekly food budget was $5. It was basically a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, a pound of chicken bologna and as much Ramen as I could buy with the leftover change. It was a good thing I worked in a bar and could drink for free.

HideHunter
08-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Mine's a bit of a "trick" .. I have an "ought". I even cooked in it once. A whole quail breast fits perfectly. ;)

HideHunter
08-17-2015, 10:57 AM
I remember one semester my weekly food budget was $5. It was basically a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, a pound of chicken bologna and as much Ramen as I could buy with the leftover change. It was a good thing I worked in a bar and could drink for free.

One of my favorite "broke" stories is told by my friend living in Alaska. He said they normally went to town once a month for a few supplies and to "kick their heels" and such. First of the month he checked his pockets and found he only had a quarter.. so he opted not to go. A month went by and he checked again.. same quarter but no more - so he didn't go again.. third month he worked for a few days processing shrimp.. Said it was a hell of a party. ;)

LJ3
08-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Just dropped my kid off at VCU with 3 cases of Ramen and cup-o-noodles :) She's learning to earn for what she desires in life. She's doing pretty damn well at it, too.

Thumper
08-17-2015, 11:30 AM
I was a "street-racer" in college and that's where I got my spending money. Problem was, UT was in a small town (Martin Tennessee) and once word got around, it was hard to find a race! (I NEVER lost) I was dating a gal in Jackson, Tennessee (She went to Lambuth College) and I'd drive the 60 miles, pick her up at her dorm, find a race, make her stand on the side of the road, I'd make a run, collect my winnings, go back to pick her up and we'd go out on the town! ;)

If I had a bunch of dirty laundry stacked up, I'd drive into Memphis (150 miles), drop my laundry off at the house, go out to make my spending money for the week, pick up my clean laundry (thanks mom!) and head back to school. I was also the local boot-legger (UT was in a dry county) and would make runs up to Fulton, Kentucky (10 miles) with my fake ID, then bring a load of cigs and booze back to school for "distribution". I'd make a small fortune on homecoming week!

Gosh, I miss those crazy, care-free days. :D

LJ3
08-17-2015, 12:20 PM
I was a "street-racer" in college and that's where I got my spending money. Problem was, UT was in a small town (Martin Tennessee) and once word got around, it was hard to find a race! (I NEVER lost) I was dating a gal in Jackson, Tennessee (She went to Lambuth College) and I'd drive the 60 miles, pick her up at her dorm, find a race, make her stand on the side of the road, I'd make a run, collect my winnings, go back to pick her up and we'd go out on the town! ;)

If I had a bunch of dirty laundry stacked up, I'd drive into Memphis (150 miles), drop my laundry off at the house, go out to make my spending money for the week, pick up my clean laundry (thanks mom!) and head back to school. I was also the local boot-legger (UT was in a dry county) and would make runs up to Fulton, Kentucky (10 miles) with my fake ID, then bring a load of cigs and booze back to school for "distribution". I'd make a small fortune on homecoming week!

Gosh, I miss those crazy, care-free days. :D

That doesn't sound much different than your EBay bidness :)

Thumper
08-17-2015, 02:07 PM
You may have a point there. I guess I've always been a bit of an entrepreneur. ;)

LJ3
08-17-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure there's much difference between a hustler and entrepreneur! :)

BarryBobPosthole
08-17-2015, 02:31 PM
A buddy of mine and I got to know this used car dealer in my home town named Red Cloud. Red was his nickname of course, and his name was Cloud, and he was an injun, but he was red headed, hence the nickname. We called him 'Chief'. (and everyone knew her as Nancy)
Anyway, my buddy and I would scour the want ads in the towns all aorund my home town and look for old cars. This was in the early 70s and we maiinly dealt in the early 60s models and late 50s. We'd buy an old car for a couple hundred dollars, take it to the car wash and detail it, wash down the engine compartment and underneath real well, spray paint the radiator and heater hoses and breather and such with a can of flat black, and we'd take it over and sell it to Chief and usually make a hundred bucks for our efforts. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It wasn't a lot of money and we had to hustle and scuffle to earn it, but we probably turned nine or ten cars to old Chief that way. Beer and cigarette money wasn't that hard to come by if you had a little spunk.

BKB

LJ3
08-17-2015, 03:56 PM
I made my pocket money by helping farmers get their produce to market.

Chicken Dinner
08-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Was that produce or product?

No-till Boss
08-17-2015, 06:32 PM
I was a poker player, at a very young age, taught by my dad.

BarryBobPosthole
08-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Brett or Bart?

BKB