PDA

View Full Version : so here's a querstshun

BarryBobPosthole
08-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Its about repealing the oil export ban.

And I'll say up front, as long as it doesn't aritifically raise gas prices I don't really have an opinion on whether we should or not. there's some that say it will if its repealed. i couldn't tell ya.

but my question is: with the Iran deal a bunch more oil is going to hit the market. pent up reserves like. and the oil folks say that'll drive the price of crude on the international market down. if we repeal the oil export tariff then won't that make our oil hit the market as well and drive prices even lower? if so, then why oh why are oil producers clamouring for us to repeal it? that just seemed like an odd juxtaposition, them being all for something that is supposed to hurt them.

something rotten in Denmark? domestic oil is much lower priced than international and if it goes down much more the international price could be lower than the current domestic one.

bKB

Nandy
08-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Well, maybe they see it is better to lower discount the oil 5% (just making numbers up here) but have 20 times more customers to sell the product to...

BarryBobPosthole
08-18-2015, 11:31 PM
seems like too, the reasons for the ban are long gone.

bKB

Thumper
08-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Well, maybe they see it is better to lower discount the oil 5% (just making numbers up here) but have 20 times more customers to sell the product to...

I have no clue what you just said. :confused:

BarryBobPosthole
08-19-2015, 04:35 AM
what he's saying is when you lift the ban, there is no domestic market that's different, there'll be one international market. and as a result, a either net higher price than whats on the domestic market where they have to sell today or a higher volume at a lowe price.

bKB

Thumper
08-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Sorry Nandy, I was interpreting it bassackwards for some reason.

I do have an opinion. Why should we export a commodity, that is in short supply in this countryt? Say people were starving here because of a shortage of food ... NOT because they are poor and can't afford it (take money out of the equation). I don't mean pockets of impoverished neighborhoods, I'm talking about mass hunger that affects a major portion of the country. We HAVE to have food to live ... without it, we die. Yet, imagine the farmers of the US selling what they grow to (pick any country). Oil is like food these days ... without it, we die. I honestly don't know how we'd exist without it. We can't. If we have a surplus, make it a viable commodity availabe to trade on the world market. If there's a shortage (which there is), why SELL oil to foreign countries, then turn around and BUY oil from foreign countries to meet our demands? How will we LOWER the price of fuel when we contribute 2 gallons to the world market, yet have to buy back 20 gallons to meet our own demands? I don't get it. I don't see our meager output (comparatively speaking) making a major dent in the world market. When are we going to start taking care of our own FIRST?

Do I sound like Trump? ;)

P-hole quote:

... why oh why are (U.S.) oil producers clamouring for us to repeal it?

THAT should be an indication as to where this is leading! They keep talking about the massive amounts of oil available now ... IMHO, if we're still importing, there's still a "shortage" ... period!