PDA

View Full Version : Latest Cast Iron project.

Captain
08-23-2015, 01:20 PM
I've had some of the cast Iron Bucky gave me soaking in Vinegar for about three weeks.
Got one of the Dutch ovens out and cleaned it yesterday. I wish the pictures would show exactly how clean and silver it turned out but it is what it is, I do t have a good LJ camera.
I've taken it through two seasoning cycles so far and it's turning a really nice dark golden color. I'll probably season it two more times and call it done. Also bought new handles to put on it when I'm done.
The frying pan I worked on several hours yesterday and had to put it back in some fresh vinegar and will try again in a month or so. It's gonna take awhile to get it down to metal again.
But all in all they are turning out good. Thank again Buckster! 5453 5454

Buckrub
08-23-2015, 02:06 PM
1/1100000th of what I owe you.

Glad it is turning out ok. Got one for myself I need to do........

I'd tell you to go cook something in it, but...........I know better.

P.S.
I can't afford that much vinegar........

Thumper
08-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Spray 'em down with Easy-Off oven cleaner and wrap 'em up in a garbage bag for a day or so. Add a bit more cleaner along the way if needed. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

BarryBobPosthole
08-23-2015, 04:19 PM
I've always just put them in the oven on the self clean cycle and that usually gets 'em down to the metal.

BKB

Thumper
08-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Ya' stands a chance of warping them P-hole ... which totally kills the collector value. Those are extremely high temps, but a lot of people do it that way.

BarryBobPosthole
08-23-2015, 04:47 PM
I've done a lot of them that way and never had one warp yet, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

BKB

Thumper
08-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Just promise me ya' won't throw no Griswolds in there! ;)

Captain
08-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Posty, what you and Thump are talking about would work for a piece of cast that is well used and probably kept in the house. But you take this old cast iron that has been unused and in a shed or barn for 80 years and has a heavy coat of hard rust, that oven cleaning ain't gonna get it.
Vinegar for several weeks will usually get through the old seasoning and rust. It's a slow project but it really does a good job.
Then it's just a matter of re-seasoning it.

Buckrub
08-23-2015, 04:56 PM
*sniff*

*sniff*

Thumper
08-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Yep, the vinegar eats the rust ... the "oven cleaning" method is for that cooked-on crud that builds up.

DeputyDog
08-23-2015, 05:18 PM
I was going to ask the best way to get rust off of one. I ended up with a small Gris #3 when my Mom sold her house. It's got a little light rust on it but nothing too bad. I'd like to start using it but wasn't sure the best way to get the rust off.