PDA

View Full Version : Well goody... looks like my retirement will get pushedout another 15 years.

LJ3
08-24-2015, 10:24 AM
With the stock crash currently occurring I should have about 14 cents in my 401k by the end of the week.

BarryBobPosthole
08-24-2015, 10:27 AM
No worries. in fact, now is time to buy buy buy. this is the annual screwing we get from the 'analysts' who make up some shot to drive prices down so they can make money on both puts and takes.
nobody will ever convince me the stock market isn't totally rigged.
BKB

LJ3
08-24-2015, 10:28 AM
I had the same thought, actually. Seems sort of "engineered" my companys stock (which they give me lots of) went thru the roof last week. Now this? Where the hell is Willie?!?!?!?

Thumper
08-24-2015, 10:33 AM
I was just discussing this with friends at dinner Friday night. Sometimes I think it would be smarter just to keep cash under the mattress or in a saving's account making 0.05% interest ... even with inflation, I'd come out ahead over the ups and downs of the market, as well paying brokerage fees all along the line just so they can invest MY money in a volatile market.

Hombre
08-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Near term correction for now. The correction is being driven by the Shanghai stock volatility, but nothing in the US economy is showing weakness at this point. IMO a couple of things will really matter over the next few months on whether this remains a short-term correction buying opportunity or an extended recession. One, what move will Janet Yellen make. The majority of economists expect a fed rate hike in September. The volatility in the APAC markets is making this a tougher choice now. Yellen will not want to be seen as adding to the pressure on our neighbors to the west, but she's also looking to put tools back for the future. In my opinion we need the rate hike. During the recession cutting the rate spurred growth and was used like a stimulus tool. If we don't correct that action when markets are stronger there is a limit on the ability to use this lever again. The second is APAC market health, and how that trickles down on the US economy. Two things of concern are China's transparency on actual data, and whether the Chinese government stimulus plans will work. Much like 2007/8 they the government is artificially investing in public companies as a way to prop up the market.

Thumper
08-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. ;)

LJ3
08-24-2015, 01:52 PM
I called the Penguin. He approves of Hombre's message.

Hombre
08-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Is that secret code talk?

Buckrub
08-24-2015, 05:55 PM
If you are not retiring in the next 10 years, do nothing.

You think YOU got problems? Assume you ARE retired and are living off that sum that you are looking at, and watching it dwindle to nothing..........while one of your kids is sucking it dry at the other end............

Buy gold for a while. Or money markets. You're making 38% every time you stick money into a 401k, dude, even if it makes zero. Heck, buy EE Savings Bonds!

I'd give my left testicular unit to know what I know now and go back to 1990 and start investing. I had no clue, none, nada, zilch, zero. And even less interest. When I figured it out, it was time to stop.

Hombre
08-24-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm not retiring in the next 10 years, but I've still been thinking about reallocating. Specifically in energy markets right now, and preferably with companies that are working toward diversifying green energy with standard offerings. Increasing surplus was a bad move by OPEC IMO, and eventually will need to stop in order for them to profit. I don't see a future where Oil remains sub $40, which makes a lot of the energy companies bargains right now.

jb
08-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Turning 70 1/2 required me to withdraw a certain % from my TSA's. Paid the 20% tax and reinvested the remaining $$$ into a Roth IRA growth and income fund.
Wife and I have the recommended amounts in Bonds and Stocks, but I wanted to put something in a fund that was a little aggressive. Nice to buy it when the market is down for a change.
We're lucky we don't required use of our investments, so watching them go up and down isn't much of a concern. They are still good if you look at how they've done over the past 40 years we've been investing.
Hoping they'll help out the kids and grandkids some day.

Thumper
08-24-2015, 06:38 PM
Hoping they'll help out the kids and grandkids some day.

DAMN!! I'm up for adoption you know! ;)

Buckrub
08-24-2015, 06:42 PM
I have told him and told him, I WANT A LOT up there..........for July and August.

But NOOOOOOOOOO, he puts it back for those stinking ugly blonde grand kids...........

sheesh.

Arty
08-24-2015, 07:28 PM
One of my managers is big time smarter than I am when it comes to the market, both domestic and foreign. I swear you can listen and keep up for MAYBE two minutes.... Then you just have to start saying "uh-huh, yeah.... Ooh, right"... Just so you don't sound like a complete moron. Wouldn't help to say "can you rewind and explain that last part again?" I tried it. Was still confused. Anyway. He told me 2 months ago to move EVERYTHING to bonds and cash. Told me the shit is gonna hit the fan, and even explained why (although I didn't understand). He told me to keep it in cash and bonds until the Feds raise the rate. Well.... I didn't. But I should've. Feels like I'm back in 2008 now. You Guys remember 2008 dontchya? When most people, if they're like me, lost 20%+ in their 401k?! I'm 25 years from retirement, if I retire at 62... But I'd sure have liked to gotten ahead of this. I'd have moved what I HAVE to cash and bonds, and kept my allocations going in, in pure stock. Oh well. It's only my 200 acres and hunting cabin that's on the line.

Big Muddy
08-24-2015, 07:29 PM
I got some bad news, last week, from a financial planner....he told me I was in the same situation, as 99.9% of all other farmers....his exact words, "You are cash poor, but land rich"....I asked if he had a solution....he said, "Sure, sell you land"....I told him that I'd rather stay "cash poor."

Captain
08-24-2015, 07:58 PM
I got some bad news, last week, from a financial planner....he told me I was in the same situation, as 99.9% of all other farmers....his exact words, "You are cash poor, but land rich"....I asked if he had a solution....he said, "Sure, sell you land"....I told him that I'd rather stay "cash poor."

Amen

Nandy
08-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Im 20 some years too to my retirement, dang, something better happen, I need to keep playing them powerball!!!