PDA

View Full Version : Our DWFP might be legalizing feeders....

Big Muddy
08-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Heck, they might as well....everybody uses them, anyway....currently, our rule states that feeders have to be "out of sight of the hunter"....heard about a guy, last year, that stood up a piece of plywood in front of his feeder, which was about 30 yards from his deer stand....GW ticketed him, and the judge dismissed it because the guy took pics, and the judge said, "legally", the guy could not see the feeder....only the plywood was visible.

Disease doesn't seem to be a problem in Texas:

Buckrub
08-24-2015, 07:27 PM
We've fed as long as I've hunted.

They love to eat it.............at night.

I've maybe seen 3 shooter deer in my entire life standing there eating corn in the daylight, during shooting hours. Spikes sometimes come running out of the woods when the timer goes off.

I have a few small hanging feeders that use timers and batteries. I got rid of all my barrel feeders last year. They did nothing, I just poured the corn out at end of the year.

Other folks, other places, they do wonders.

So, don't ask me.

Nandy
08-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Feeders never been good to me. Food plots and plain sitting on their established path has proven very effective. I generally see way more deer than what I shoot.

Buckrub
08-24-2015, 09:10 PM
You know...........last year I stumbled on a pamphlet put out by AGFC............yeah, I know, they're otherwise illiterate and clueless......but this one spent several pages stating why food plots beat corn feeders about elebbenty bazillion to one.

I don't remember the details.

Plus.......I'm sick of buying corn. Well, solid corn, anyway.

BarryBobPosthole
08-24-2015, 09:10 PM
The coons'll be happy to hear it!

BKB

Nandy
08-24-2015, 09:27 PM
The coons'll be happy to hear it!

BKB

Thats funny, I had 10 times more coon/turkeys/crows pictures each per each one deer picture. I actually gave my feeder to a friend.

Big Muddy
08-25-2015, 12:40 AM
Well, I guess Cap and I will keep the price of corn high. ;)

No-till Boss
08-25-2015, 06:34 AM
Baiting works very well. But you can't bait with a 55gal barrel that has a motor that can be heard a mile in the cool morning air. You can't bait 12 feet from your stand that is as big as your first house either. And you can't bait where you run cameras 365 days a year. You can't go check your bait pile ever six hours on your side by side and expect to see anything either. You also can't pour out bait just any old place and expect to see a 140 plus deer, chances are if you'd sit there for 50 years prior to baiting, you still wouldn't have seen a big deer either.

Baiting works, not for a slob hunter, but for someone who actually understands hunting ......

Buckrub
08-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Snob

quercus alba
08-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Does eat corn and they taste just like a buck. I've never been able to boil those horns tender anyway

Nandy
08-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Baiting works very well. But you can't bait with a 55gal barrel that has a motor that can be heard a mile in the cool morning air. You can't bait 12 feet from your stand that is as big as your first house either. And you can't bait where you run cameras 365 days a year. You can't go check your bait pile ever six hours on your side by side and expect to see anything either. You also can't pour out bait just any old place and expect to see a 140 plus deer, chances are if you'd sit there for 50 years prior to baiting, you still wouldn't have seen a big deer either.

Baiting works, not for a slob hunter, but for someone who actually understands hunting ......

That is a big ass blanket you threw there.....

As much work as we did in planting the food plots doubt I/us will qualify as slob, however, no amount of baiting has ever work for me while at times i had Does sleeping in the plots and hundreds of pics of them.... Which killed me because once season opens the bigger deer tend to disapear, at least the nice ones ...

The challenge of baiting or food plots, at least for me, is to get the deer in a clearer spot to have a better chance to id if this is a deer I want to kill and try not to mess their trails and bedding areas. I can put corn next to a bedding area or a trail and get a deer but that is not what we want. We do our best to stay off those areas they used otherwise they will tail off to the next county.

Talking about larger deer, have you notice how it sometimes seems like the larger does send the younger ones ahead to test the waters so to speak?

Nandy
08-25-2015, 04:55 PM
I've never been able to boil those horns tender anyway

But have you ever tried to mount a tenderloin!!!! lol!

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2015, 04:56 PM
But have you ever tried to mount a tenderloin!!!! lol!

no, but I bet Thumper has.

BKb

quercus alba
08-25-2015, 05:01 PM
I don't have any horns or fish on the wall. I killed one monster buck, don't particularly want another. Draws too much attention. I'm happy with just a legal buck or a doe or two.

Buckrub
08-25-2015, 05:13 PM
I have several deer, antelope, and a duck on the wall.

ALL are trophies. But so are the other ones that I didn't put on the wall. Every kill is a trophy. I don't mount trophies. I mount memories. That's why they are on the wall. Not to display, but so I can look and remember how they got there.

Nandy
08-25-2015, 05:16 PM
I dont have much in the wall, my waterfould collection was destroyed by UPS back when I moved to charlotte in late 90's. fuckers. I do have a few bucks European mounts, a bob cat and keep some other stuff as momentos to remember...

No-till Boss
08-25-2015, 06:22 PM
That is a big ass blanket you threw there.....

As much work as we did in planting the food plots doubt I/us will qualify as slob, however, no amount of baiting has ever work for me while at times i had Does sleeping in the plots and hundreds of pics of them.... Which killed me because once season opens the bigger deer tend to disapear, at least the nice ones ...

The challenge of baiting or food plots, at least for me, is to get the deer in a clearer spot to have a better chance to id if this is a deer I want to kill and try not to mess their trails and bedding areas. I can put corn next to a bedding area or a trail and get a deer but that is not what we want. We do our best to stay off those areas they used otherwise they will tail off to the next county.

Talking about larger deer, have you notice how it sometimes seems like the larger does send the younger ones ahead to test the waters so to speak?

When the G&F do a age check stations, the big big doe's are the younger one's that are still breeding. The older one's with no teeth are usually the smaller doe's, or at least that is way it is here.

Nandy
08-25-2015, 07:51 PM
So the older Does shrinks where you at? Weird....

No-till Boss
08-25-2015, 07:56 PM
So the older Does shrinks where you at? Weird....

Arkansas, the older one were 6,7,8 and even 9 years old, with very few teeth if any. The big doe's were the breeding doe's 2,3,4 years of age. Huge difference in weight .

Nandy
08-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Here is the problem, I said big and that means like big and fat. when I meant big I meant the oldest ones as with grayish hair and taller. Hope that clears up my spanglish. We havent shot any pregnant Does while hunting (with a fetus large enough), actually, I dont remember seeing a single fetus in the last 6 years or so. Looks like you have a very healthy population here. I dont think I have seen yet a Doe or a buck with that amount of wear in their teeth and the president of the lease does takes a few jaws to look at. It is probably because of the "if it is brown is down" way of thinking all around these leases.

No-till Boss
08-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Here is the problem, I said big and that means like big and fat. when I meant big I meant the oldest ones as with grayish hair and taller. Hope that clears up my spanglish. We havent shot any pregnant Does while hunting (with a fetus large enough), actually, I dont remember seeing a single fetus in the last 6 years or so. Looks like you have a very healthy population here. I dont think I have seen yet a Doe or a buck with that amount of wear in their teeth and the president of the lease does takes a few jaws to look at. It is probably because of the "if it is brown is down" way of thinking all around these leases.

If that was true, deer would just keep getting bigger until they died, or exploded. I didn't say the big doe's were pregnant, I said they were the one's that were the breeding population ! Not the old little skinny deer...... Oh yeah, the gray haired thing made me chuckle too....

Buckrub
08-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Nandy, you can just shut up about your Spanglish.

Your english is better than most folks here. And you know another language to boot. So hush yore mouf wid that modest stuff.

Nandy
08-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Oh yeah, the gray haired thing made me chuckle too....

them im doing great!