PDA

View Full Version : Important Question

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2015, 09:51 PM
A long time ago, I posted a thread about a new knot for tying. mono or flouro to braid. does anyone remember the name of the knot? I've forgtten how to tie it and I've forgotten the name of it! Its a damn good knot though! It was a guy's name.

BKB

Thumper
08-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Prolly Albright.

Don't we have a fishing forum? Somebody over there should know. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2015, 10:04 PM
nope.

I know that knot.

This one is a smaller knot than that which is one of the things I like about it. sails right through the guides.

BKB

Thumper
08-25-2015, 10:15 PM
You talkin' 'bout that Mexican knot? Alberto? I think it's a variant of the Albright.

Just do like me ... Granny never fails me. ;)

Arty
08-25-2015, 10:22 PM
I remember the post but not the name of the knot.
But a couple of people responded about it... I remember that too.

So what I'm saying Is, I'm no use.

Arty
08-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Thumper is you-tube searchin' it. He'll find it fer ya

Thumper
08-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Nope, my dentist uses all those fancy-schmancy knots when we fish. He always has a mix of lines and leaders he's tying together and knows every knot known to man. I know ONE ... the only one I learned as a kid .. no clue if it has a name, I just always called it a "fisherman's knot". Works for me. ;)

You goofy fisher-types just sit around and figure how to make life more difficult. I just garb my trusty Snoopy Zebco, tie a Granny knot on my hook and can out-fish youse bozos blindfolded with one hand behind my back. ;)

I gave ya' the only one's I know that he uses ... I ain't gots nuttin' else and wouldn't have remembered them if Posty hadn't said it's some dufe's name. (and yes, I make fun of him too ... but not too much, the boats are HIS!) :D

Arty
08-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Andy knot? (Admittedly you tube searched)

Thumper
08-25-2015, 10:39 PM
I remembered the Albright ... he (my dentist) said the other is almost the same ... I had to look up Albright to find it.

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2015, 10:45 PM
found it. The John Collins knot.

Thanks for playing.

bKB

http://youtu.be/RiSik3Jqs7M

Thumper
08-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Damn! I almost had it in the other thread. I guessed John's brother, Tom! ;)

HideHunter
08-26-2015, 12:05 PM
lol.. I didn't watch it.. If it take 11 freaking minutes to tie - I'll tie a double uni or a blood knot... 6 times

LJ3
08-26-2015, 12:36 PM
I tried the knot in question. It turned out to be a knot I would knot use gain. Maybe I did it wrong, but I lost 2 feeshes with it right out of the gate.

Big Skyz
08-26-2015, 12:50 PM
That looks like a pretty cool knot. I'm going to have to give it a try. HH, it doesn't take 11 minutes for him to tie the knot. There is a bunch of interview crap before he actually ties the knot. I just skipped over all that and went right to the knot tying itself. It looks easier that a double uni or blood knot to me.

LJ3
08-26-2015, 12:55 PM
easy way to lose fish is more like it. I mean, the likelihood that I didn't tie it correctly is so remote that I'm surprised you guys would even consider using it. I mean, I have zero history of looking at something simple and saying "I can do that easy peasy" and then screwing it up just doesn't happen.

Ever.
Much.
hardly ever.
rarely.
occasionally.
Bite me. I'll try it again.

Big Skyz
08-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Len, I'm wondering if maybe you wrapped the opposite way when you went back up the first set of 5 wraps. That would explain why the knot slipped so easy.

LJ3
08-26-2015, 01:11 PM
From what it LOOKED like, it seemed like the powerpro cut clean thru the mono I was using. I'm gonna have another go at it eventually. If I ever fish again. Which could be approximately never they way my schedule is going these days.

quercus alba
08-26-2015, 01:35 PM
I have a question. Why would you tie mono to braided line?

LJ3
08-26-2015, 01:37 PM
For a more transparent leader with mono. It can make a difference in clear river water

Thumper
08-26-2015, 01:38 PM
I have a question. Why would you tie mono to braided line?

So you can learn to tie a cool new knot! ;)

quercus alba
08-26-2015, 01:43 PM
then why not spool entirely with monofilament. It's going to be your weakest spot anyway, then you can drink a Tom Collins instead of tying a Joan Collins.

LJ3
08-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Mono's way too stretchy for most of the kind of fishing I do. Braided is way better. I do prefer your suggestion of using the Collinses in different ways, though!

quercus alba
08-26-2015, 02:30 PM
You can definitely cross his eyes with braided. There is no clear water in sw Arkansas unless it comes out of the tap, and that's no certainty. No place to fish either so that kinda solves both problems

LJ3
08-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Taser Master AND Supreme Problem Solver!

Big Skyz
08-26-2015, 02:51 PM
My reason for being interested in this knot is so I can attach a clear fluorocarbon leader to NanoFil. The NanoFil has a super small diameter for it's breaking strength. In other words 8 lbs NanoFil is the same diameter as 2 lbs monofilament. This means I can cast it a country mile, which important when I'm trying to cover a lot of water fast. On lakes or ponds covering a lot of water fast is my most common technique. However NanoFil is not clear like fluorocarbon or mono. I want the end that is attached to the hook to be clear or as invisible as possible. Most of the water I fish is crystal clear, unless I'm fishing for catfish or sturgeon. If I'm fishing for the cats and sturgeon I have a whole different set up and I'm not concerned about anything seeing the line, but for spooky trout, walleye or bass having a clear leader is the way to go. I particularly like fluorocarbon because it is a sinking line. Most of the time I want my line sinking as fast as possible so it gets to the strike zone faster. Anyway, that's my reason for being interested in this knot and being able to combine the two lines. To me it's not as much about line strength, as much as, it is about cast ability.

LJ3
08-26-2015, 03:04 PM
I hear ya BS. Have you used powerpro? 10lb powerpro fishes like a steel cable, you can feel every tiny little bump on the bottom and casts like 4lb mono. Good combination for my uses.

quercus alba
08-26-2015, 03:50 PM
A guy from South Africa and one of the local business crooks bought our local lake and are charging boat house fees dock fees boat fees and everything else. Pretty big lake about 25 thousand acres. All these people that own lakefront property having are having a fit. Gonna end up in court. Army corp of engineers probably gonna win this one. Every other body of water in the county is on private property therefore I don't fish.

Shame that I have buy fish but it is what is is

BarryBobPosthole
08-26-2015, 05:51 PM
QA, I got started using a leader with braid to give me something that absorbs some of the shock when you set the hook or the fish strikes. That especially important when trolling for big eyes. and like Len said, I can use a 8 lb transparent flouro leader and a braid (i only use a 16 lb braid) and hardly ever break off snd still have the limp dickedness of braid.

And braid never gets a memory like a spool of mono or flouro does. see above 'limp dickedness'.

bKb

No-till Boss
08-26-2015, 06:13 PM
A guy from South Africa and one of the local business crooks bought our local lake and are charging boat house fees dock fees boat fees and everything else. Pretty big lake about 25 thousand acres. All these people that own lakefront property having are having a fit. Gonna end up in court. Army corp of engineers probably gonna win this one. Every other body of water in the county is on private property therefore I don't fish.

Shame that I have buy fish but it is what is is

That's a damn big lake to buy ! Wow