PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report 08/26

BarryBobPosthole
08-26-2015, 05:44 PM
We had a great day on the water today. The bass were running off with everything lie it was Ferguson on a friday night.

We caught 61 bass today and prolly twenty of those went over 2 pounds. my big fish was my first one of the day at 4 pounds 6 ounces.

Birddog with a nice fish

Another Birddog fish

Buckrub
08-26-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm out of time. We caught 48 crappie, but they all died. Guy's boat I was in died........9 miles from the ramp. No one else on the water. We finally made it. I have to go to a get-together, more tomorrow. It was sad to throw all those away! We tore 'em up.

OH well.

Thumper
08-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Is that a Toyota in pic #3? Whose is that? Did Birddog buy a Tundra??? ;)

Big Muddy
08-26-2015, 06:40 PM
I'm out of time. We caught 48 crappie, but they all died. Guy's boat I was in died........9 miles from the ramp. No one else on the water. We finally made it. I have to go to a get-together, more tomorrow. It was sad to throw all those away! We tore 'em up.

OH well.

Ummmm, that's what ice chests are for....well, actually beer and cokes, too. ;)

No-till Boss
08-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Ummmm, that's what ice chests are for....well, actually beer and cokes, too. ;)

I was wonder if he was hitting them in the head with a hammer as he caught them ?

Chicken Dinner
08-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a couple of nice days fishing. I'm going to give it a whirl up here on some of these Vermont small irs tomorrow.

Captain
08-26-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm out of time. We caught 48 crappie, but they all died. Guy's boat I was in died........9 miles from the ramp. No one else on the water. We finally made it. I have to go to a get-together, more tomorrow. It was sad to throw all those away! We tore 'em up. OH well.

Were you gonna eat them alive?

Big Muddy
08-27-2015, 08:33 AM

Ditto, Cap....I can't wait for Bucky's explanation of this (another) fiasco ;)....I woulda been filleting, while the other guy was paddling....just saying. ;)

Cards01
08-27-2015, 08:45 AM
looks like a great day on the water and successful to boot!!

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 11:09 AM
I was wonder if he was hitting them in the head with a hammer as he caught them ?

No, that's what we did with bass back when we bass fished, and didn't have live well.

THis wasn't my boat, or my trip.........I was just a spectator and assistant yesterday. We just got about 8 miles from the ramp upstream, and lost big motor. I suspect bad fuel, but it's in the shop today so we'll find out I guess, sometime. Ran the battery down trying, moved the TM batteries to the big motor, still no dice. But the aerator went out so fish died! Ugh. And we had a very small ice chest with drinks, but didn't take a big fish chest with ice..........why not? Cause we had a livewell!! Duh. But I wish we'd have had one.

Got home in time to shower and head to the Traveler's game........guy got a Suite and we had a good time. Beat Tulsa, which is always good since Posty lives there and I like beating Posty at stuff! :)

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Ditto, Cap....I can't wait for Bucky's explanation of this (another) fiasco ;)....I woulda been filleting, while the other guy was paddling....just saying. ;)

I thought of that, but the only knives we had other than pocketknives were electric knives! Planning on using them ON SHORE. No place in his boat that he either WOULD clean them or WANTED to get messy, no board, etc. Again, this is NOT my boat, I'm just a back-seat rider and noticer on this trip. And yet, I agree I should have tried to clean them faster, but it was August heat, livewell with no power, and we spent an hour fiddling with the batteries, etc........and when I noticed the fish, they were gone. Makes me sick, that was one of our best days in years.

My boat has a MANUAL (haha) filet knife on board..........and next time I go with anyone, my tackle box will have one.

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Shoulda used some seaFoam in it and that wouldn't have been a problem!

And since the Drillers are now a Dodger affiliate, I don't watch them so awful much any more.

BKB

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 11:13 AM

No sir, I was not. Odd question! Do you eat yours that way? I bet Thump does!!!

BUT, I want my meat to be fresh as possible, and I want to clean my meat (Fish, deer, poached cows, whatever) as soon after its demise as possible...............thus, I keep my fish alive until I clean them, when I can.

Big Muddy
08-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Heck, Phole, he coulda just poured SeaFoam on the fish....it woulda brought them fish back to life!!! ;)

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 11:43 AM
See? Sea Foam IS IN MY BOAT. But not his!

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Shoulda used some seaFoam in it and that wouldn't have been a problem!

And since the Drillers are now a Dodger affiliate, I don't watch them so awful much any more.

BKB

??

You liked the Rockies better?

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Well, yeah. I kind of liked it when Tulowitzski played here, although that was like one season. I can't stand the Dodgers. I can't stand Don Mattingly. AGON makes me want to go beat somebody up. Puig is an undisciplined player much like a lot of other supposed superstars were that couldn't make it in the bigs. He'll never get the clubhouse discipline he needs under Mattingly and that clubhouse full of egos. I hate 'em, despite usually being Sandy Koufax (because he was a lefty) in back yard fantasy baseball games throw and catch games with my cousin.

What was the question?

BKB

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Well, I sure as heck get that................and don't blame you.

I am SICK of the Arkansas Travelers. I have refused to go to their "new" park until Bill Valentine died. He was a JERK! He's gone, and a friend of mine 'bought' a suite for a few of us high school buddies and we went and had free food and watched the game. It was great weather and a good time. That's why I went. The Tulsa thing was just for your benefit........I didn't care who they played. They're an American League farm team, like I give a RA.

Which makes me even madder. Poor National League farm teams have to play with a DH..........their pitchers never learn to hit! No wonder MLB pitchers can't hit!

Thumper
08-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Now how the "F" did this turn into a baseball thread? I don't know if this belongs in the "fishing forum" or the "who gives a rat's ass forum"!

Take it over to the Pham is Phab thread! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 12:16 PM
I used to have season tickets to the Drillers back when I first moved back to Oklahoma from Texas and followed the Rangers a lot. Me and Bassdog used to argue like cats and dogs over the Rangers and Cards. Of course, the Rangers couldn't win the Little League World Series back in those days. But I did get to see some really great players come through here. Rueben Sierra was a good one, Juan Gonzales played here, Pudge Rodriguez was a hoot to watch even in Double A, and a bunch more. The Rangers could field an All Star team with the position players they developed and never added enough pitching to win anything.
Bassdog converted me back to a Cards fan. I t was like getting the Texas brainwashing out of my system when I got back home.

BKB

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Now how the "F" did this turn into a baseball thread? I don't know if this belongs in the "fishing forum" or the "who gives a rat's ass forum"!

Take it over to the Pham is Phab thread! ;)

See what I meant the other day? I don't belittle your silly Nascar posts. Try to have some manners, CURMUDGEON!

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 12:20 PM
I used to have season tickets to the Drillers back when I first moved back to Oklahoma from Texas and followed the Rangers a lot. Me and Bassdog used to argue like cats and dogs over the Rangers and Cards. Of course, the Rangers couldn't win the Little League World Series back in those days. But I did get to see some really great players come through here. Rueben Sierra was a good one, Juan Gonzales played here, Pudge Rodriguez was a hoot to watch even in Double A, and a bunch more. The Rangers could field an All Star team with the position players they developed and never added enough pitching to win anything.
Bassdog converted me back to a Cards fan. I t was like getting the Texas brainwashing out of my system when I got back home.

BKB

Lawzy. Then I wish I had Bob's skills!

Thumper
08-27-2015, 12:22 PM
See what I meant the other day? I don't belittle your silly Nascar posts. Try to have some manners, CURMUDGEON!

But those posts are made in a NASCAR thread!

Where's Alison Widmer when we need her? :D

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 12:25 PM
You are so narrow minded.......you really need to remove your signature. If you don't like it, you don't want it on your planet.

Captain
08-27-2015, 12:35 PM
A few hours dead would not have made any difference in those fish. That was just a waste. And if you ain't letting your deer hang a couple of weeks before you process them, you are missing out.

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Note to self: Try and not tell folks what you did today..........

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 12:47 PM
A few hours dead would not have made any difference in those fish. That was just a waste. And if you ain't letting your deer hang a couple of weeks before you process them, you are missing out.

I've never tried the two week deal. What temp and humidity? Most I've ever done was hang them until the core temp drops to room temp or more. Usually stuff a couple bags of ice in the cavity to help it along.

BUt I've never tried hanging them for that long. For one, I don't have space to do that.

BKB

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 12:50 PM
It's hard for me here, when I disagree with folks. I don't know what to say. I just know I'm not cleaning dead fish that had turned white and stunk to high heaven, after being in HOT water under the sun beating down, for hours.........and I'm not hanging a deer with flies all over it for 2 weeks when the lows at night are about 55 degrees........and then trying to eat either one. I don't go buy hamburger and bring it home and hang it up in the yard for 2 weeks. I refrigerate it as fast as I can, and keep it that way.

If that's the wrong way, then hey............I'm a wrong way guy, I guess. But that's how I do it.

DeputyDog
08-27-2015, 01:36 PM
I don't blame you on the fish, but that is why my tackle box is old school and has a stringer in it. As for the burger, it was probably hung for a couple weeks before it was made burger, so that would just be overkill to do it again. ;)

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 01:38 PM
I know Tony did that..........and said the same thing. I admit I've tried it, and all I get is flies and yellow jackets all over the meat and it ruins. If I don't know what I'm doing, fine........I can learn. But I just don't do it that way.

I also have a stringer in my boat.

In this case, I think the attention to the state of the fish was overlooked during other matters, and we (I) should have looked much sooner.

DeputyDog
08-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Sounds to me that you should just use your boat from now on.

No-till Boss
08-27-2015, 02:00 PM
People stretch cheesecloth over their deer before hanging them . However, I've never aged a deer either, only witnessed it..

Captain
08-27-2015, 02:03 PM
I don't blame you on the fish, but that is why my tackle box is old school and has a stringer in it. As for the burger, it was probably hung for a couple weeks before it was made burger, so that would just be overkill to do it again. ;)
Exactly what I was going to say

Posty a walk in cooler and let the meat hang a couple of weeks. Makes a WORLD of difference.
Aged beef is called aged for a reason. It's better!

Captain
08-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Oh and fish stink BEFORE they die too. They don't smell any worse a short time after death. Now in a day or two maybe.

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Yep, that's what I figured, a walk in cooler. Man but that'd be nice to have! And a smokehouse right beside it! I could do me some damage with those two.

BKB

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Sounds to me that you should just use your boat from now on.

That would solve problems. Just talked to the guy, and his is in shop. I think he learned a few lessons, I know I did.

Taking mine every trip has cost me a long time friendship this year, though. I've not said anything here, but I've been torn up for months over it. 50 year friendship......because someone is selfish enough to 'use' me and my stuff and never use his own, or never do a turnaround. I guess I'm not smart enough to do stuff the right way, and also too naive to see when I'm being used.

And yeah, a simple stringer would have helped!

As to the deer, I can't see myself doing that. Not sure what it would accomplish. I have hung them for days, of course. But not weeks. I am not in one spot for weeks..........

Captain
08-27-2015, 02:17 PM
When meat hangs in a cooler long enough to dry out and it starts to get a light coat of mold on it, it is ready to be processed. Admittedly I seldom let them hang that long but I do let them hang at least two weeks.

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 02:20 PM
I think Captain is confused. I'm not sure if he ages his liquor for two weeks and his deer for two days or t'other way around!

BKB

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Exactly what I was going to say

Posty a walk in cooler and let the meat hang a couple of weeks. Makes a WORLD of difference.
Aged beef is called aged for a reason. It's better!

Well gosh.

Yeah, but I ain't got that!!!!

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
When meat hangs in a cooler long enough to dry out and it starts to get a light coat of mold on it, it is ready to be processed. Admittedly I seldom let them hang that long but I do let them hang at least two weeks.

So then, WHO cooks it???????? :)

Captain
08-27-2015, 02:26 PM
So then, WHO cooks it???????? :)

Any woman or girly man that's around. ;)

LJ3
08-27-2015, 02:26 PM
You look like you've dropped a few lbs there, BBP. Or was it just from stretching your arms so far toward the camera?

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Any woman or girly man that's around. ;)

Me I guess. I'm feeling full of estrogen lately, it seems.

Captain
08-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Me I guess. I'm feeling full of estrogen lately, it seems.

You're just retaining water, you'll be OK in a few days... :D

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Lawzy am I ever.

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 02:39 PM
You look like you've dropped a few lbs there, BBP. Or was it just from stretching your arms so far toward the camera?

28 pounds since last August. Down to 220 and was at 248 on my birthday last year. Part of it was a med I was on. Stopped that and the pounds dropped slowly but surely. Part of it too was a goal to get rid of this type 2 diabetes by my 61st birthday. Didn't quite make it, but I'm off of insulin and just taking one pill for it a day now and managing my shit with diet and exercize. Anyway, that enoughj about that. But there is less of me! and that was a big old toad of a bass!
Made my drag go ZINNNNNNNGGGGG a few times!
BKB

Captain
08-27-2015, 02:43 PM
But the real question this thread screams for an answer is:
Who is uglier Posthole or Birddog. (Or a tie) ;)

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Birddog has indeed gotten uglier.

Posthole? He would have gotten uglier with age, but that turned out to be impossible.

And good for you Barry. Good job! I'm quite jealous. I'm headed the other way.

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Believe me, I'm not breaking any records. but since I retired I've been busier than a cat trying to cover up poop and most of it has been physical work, which is what I'm ain't doing now and I need to go get after!

BKB

No-till Boss
08-27-2015, 03:22 PM
28 pounds since last August. Down to 220 and was at 248 on my birthday last year. Part of it was a med I was on. Stopped that and the pounds dropped slowly but surely. Part of it too was a goal to get rid of this type 2 diabetes by my 61st birthday. Didn't quite make it, but I'm off of insulin and just taking one pill for it a day now and managing my shit with diet and exercize. Anyway, that enoughj about that. But there is less of me! and that was a big old toad of a bass!
Made my drag go ZINNNNNNNGGGGG a few times!
BKB

Good job !

Big Muddy
08-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Bucky, remember where you live, bro....the deep south....if the surface water temps up your way are anything like ours, you were prolly gonna lose some of those fish, anyway....a livewell pump only pulls water in from the surface, and does nothing else, except provide some oxygen, via circulation....while it certainly helps, it isn't gonna keep fish alive forever, especially, when it's pumping in 90 degree surface water....those fish had just as well been in an aerating hot tub.

Did you catch any of your fish on the surface???....of course not, they were in the cooler deeper water....then you tossed them into your livewell, which was circulating 90 degree surface water....not a good situation.

In the deep south, this time of year, I NEVER depend on a livewell for over a couple of hours of very early or late fishing....to save room, just put the plug in your livewell, and fill it like an ice chest....in the extreme heat we have down here, you really need to get over your desire to clean a fish, while he's still kicking....put your fish on ice, as soon as he hits the deck, and you might be pleasantly surprised....and, I'll tell ya something else, they are easier to fillet, the slime is greatly reduced, and you can get more fillet meat off the bone, after they are chilled for a while on ice....JMHO.

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 07:12 PM
My livewell does exactly that. His is a Triton and he has a neater livewell setup. He has ON, which does what mine does and what you describe..........it has RECIRC which recirculates (stirs) the water in the well without bringing in new........and then 'Auto' which does both!

Still you make good sense. Just another $40 worth of ice to fill my TWO big livewells up!!!!

I have an add on recirculating deal (Made to make a livewell out of a big cooler) and I would like to figure out how to wire that in to my timer on my two livewells.......

And the water surface temp was about 83 degrees.

Big Muddy
08-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Still you make good sense. Just another $40 worth of ice to fill my TWO big livewells up!!!!

And the water surface temp was about 83 degrees.

Well, you don't hafta fill BOTH of 'em with ice!!!....$5 bucks worth of ice should be sufficient in only one of 'em....and, if you're real stingy, just fill and freeze a couple of gallon jugs with water....they'll prolly last all day long....just trying to give you some ideas to keep your fish fresh and edible!!!

And, 83 degree surface water is like sudden death to a fish that's been holding deep in a much cooler strata of 8-10 feet water.

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 10:34 PM
That was tongue in cheek about the cost. That makes good sense. I always have block ice frozen in 2 liter coke bottles.

Big Muddy
08-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Ok....hope you catch some more, and get them filleted, put in the freezer, and you get to pig out on them !!! ;)