PDA

View Full Version : B'Gosh!

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Army picks new vehicle to replace the Humvee
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/27/politics/army-new-vehicle-humvee/index.html

airbud7
08-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Tough looking vehicle...still kinda looks like a Humvee too...

FooBang
08-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Looks cool. What I don't understand though, is why they don't have automated turrets. Every time I see a guy in a video pop the hatch and shoot stuff, I shake my head.
Virtual reality is at a point now where you can control that stuff remotely, even from Colorado.

Imagine a humvee outfitted with a remotely-operated turret-- A guy at a console somewhere else can monitor a dozen screens simultaneously and control the guns. Hell, the guns could do most of the work themselves nowadays. I'm working on my robot project with my son. Our little robot will have face recognition and targeting on it. If I can do it in my basement, I don't know why the army can't do it.

The reason is probably cost, but I gotta think it'd be cheaper to mount an autogun on the car then send and feed an extra soldier.

FooBang
08-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Our robot, for reference:

https://youtu.be/_nFckq-2LRs

Thumper
08-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Dang!!! That boy's all grown up now! Sheeesh, thanks for making me feel even older! Is that an iPhone working as the brain for that thing???

FooBang
08-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Dang!!! That boy's all grown up now! Sheeesh, thanks for making me feel even older! Is that an iPhone working as the brain for that thing???

He was 6 years old when I first joined GH! We're making trips to various colleges this year; he'll be going to university next year.. He's looking at getting a DoD scholarship to build weapons, like his old man. :)

As for the robot, it has 5 computers on it, each running more or less independently. There are 2 linux computers to stream video from the eyes. Each one talks to smaller computers: one to control the servos and another to read the sensors. There's two sonars, one for the head and one for the front. It has a compass and sensors to monitor speed vs. power to the wheels. The fifth computer is a Nokia phone that provides GPS, voice recognition, audio pass-through (bi-directional) and text-to-speech.

In the heads-up display, there will be coordinates, face recognition, targeting, sensor info and distance to target, all in 3D! We're still working on that piece.

It's becoming some project!

Thumper
08-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Nokia??? Ya' should'a gone with Apple! :D :D :D

How old was that boy when you FORCED me to drink until long after that bar closed down? ;)

FooBang
08-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Nokia??? Ya' should'a gone with Apple! :D :D :D

The Nokia was $39 without a service contract. A little cheaper than an Apple!

The night we contemplated breaking into the bar after hours, was what? 2007? He would have been 9!

Thumper
08-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Wow! Time flies! Sheeesh!

All I know is that I was totally innocent and you were a terrible influence on me. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 11:06 PM
I'd never seen a growler until the first time I met Foobang. I thought he'd brought a bong to the restaurant.

BKB

FooBang
08-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Wow! Time flies! Sheeesh!

All I know is that I was totally innocent and you were a terrible influence on me. ;)

I still feel terrible about letting you drive after that. I shoulda got you a room at the hotel, but I wasn't exactly thinking clearly...

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Jim has that affect on people.

BKB

Thumper
08-27-2015, 11:21 PM
I drove??? :confused:

Come to think of it, I DID wake up in my own bed! ;)

LJ3
08-28-2015, 10:15 AM
I'd never seen a growler until the first time I met Foobang. I thought he'd brought a bong to the restaurant.

BKB

Now THAT, was funny :)

FooBang
08-28-2015, 12:54 PM

I still owe you some beers, BBP!

FooBang
08-28-2015, 04:56 PM
Madison is getting big, too. She was only a few months old when I moved to FL.