PDA

View Full Version : The Stupidest Job In The World

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 05:58 PM
So I have this master bathroom project going. And I've demo'd the old shower enclosure, took out the old sheetrock in the shower so I can replace it with backerboard (which is what should have been in there in the first place) and get ready to do a shitload of tile work. Like 150 square foot of it in the shower and along one wall. So outside the shower I have been stripping wallpaper and the little film of wallpaper glue off of the rest of the wall I'm covering with tile too. About halfway in, I decided it would have been easier to just replace the friggin sheetrock because this is like Chinese friggin water torture. but I ws so far invested in doiung it this way I just had to get stubborn and do it.

Did I mention I hate doing ANY kind of ceramic tile work? I will be egotistical and say I am pretty damned good at it. But I ought to be as much of it as I have done.

Back to work!

BKB

airbud7
08-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Wish I could help you Bro, I love that kinda stuff...Oh yea, my best friend is pro tile layer (im good but real slow @tile work though}...diy stuff can really save a ton of money...

jb
08-27-2015, 07:13 PM
It all depends on what you think your time is worth, Just finished doing our bath, not to many years ago I'd have done about 90% of it myself, but with age and time it's just easier to hire it done. , 60 sq. ft of tile on the floor, 6" tile base around entire bath & tile surround on all sides of the tub, (tub to ceiling) plus a recessed niche for bath products.
Took the tile layer 3 1/2 days ( one day two guys, 2 1/2 days one guy) $1,620
With new everything from bear studs to finished bath project was just a tad over $12K.
Mama's a happy girl.

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 07:18 PM
All that time in Telecom, and he has NO clue how to use the Yellow Pages.............

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 07:31 PM
I'm gonna save myself a bundle. Doing all the drywall, plumbing, and tile work myself. Hiring the glass shower enclosure work done. I'm pretty confident I can handle it. Demo work is now done, all that friggin paper and gooey glue shit is off the drywall. Backerboard gets bought and cut tomorrow. Little door goes in that allows access to the valves I put in that the friggin builder didn't that'll let me cut the water off if the damned shower valve fails. Then the plumbing work gets done Saturday and I'm hanging it up for the weekend. Then the backerboard goes in and the tile work begins! Hope to finish before Dogtooth.

BKB

BKB

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Can you come visit? For several weeks?

A) It'd save me, and B) it'd save server space/costs here.

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm a democrat. Private servers scare the hell out of me.

BKB

Buckrub
08-27-2015, 07:35 PM
We'll turn my computer off for weeks.

(This place would go ballistic with curiosity. An ADDED bonus!)

Arty
08-27-2015, 07:39 PM
I love home projects - and - love saving money.

In my opinion it's not exactly "what your time is worth".... There's a certain satisfaction of doing it yourself, regardless of the savings. However, the savings when it's DIY is always nice as well.

I like seeing the finished project in my mind, trying to tell what my wife it'll look like, and her saying "no way"... Then watching her eat those words when the project comes to fruition.

No-till Boss
08-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Do you use the walleye whistle at the start of your tedious projects ? lol

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Do you use the walleye whistle at the start of your tedious projects ? lol

That's really not conducive to a quality job. Truth be told, its not really great for knot tying either.

BKB

No-till Boss
08-27-2015, 07:55 PM
That's really not conducive to a quality job. Truth be told, its not really great for knot tying either.

BKB

So that's what happened to the reel repair ! lol

BarryBobPosthole
08-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Hahahahaha, likely so!

BKB

Thumper
08-27-2015, 09:29 PM
I used to love doing that sort of stuff, then I hit a certain age where I began to hate it. Nowadays, I do it ONLY out of necessity 'cause I'm cash poor, unless I can avoid it somehow. Heck, I don't even change my own oil anymore. I've either gotten lazier (that word looks weird, but I'm sure it's correct) ... or smarter, not sure which.

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Been doing the second stupidest job in the world all day today: plumbing. Got R done though except for one stupid part I forgot to get and that's an 1/2" elbow with a threaded female on one end. gotta sweat a little pipe between that and a 1/2 X 2" nipple and I'm a done daddy.

Don't look too close at my soldering. It tends to be a little dirt dobbererish. I can't solder electrical parts either very good. And I've been to Uncle Sam's Soldering School!

Tomorrow I finish up plumbing, test for leaks and get the backerboard in. Then I'll be ready for tile.

bKB

Thumper
08-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Great work. I'll call the inspector's office first thing Monday morning and tell them to stop by for a final. Ummm, you DID pull a permit, right? ;)

Buckrub
08-28-2015, 08:50 PM
You're no Democrat.

A Democrat woulda hired a van full of Messicans and paid them in cash. Only a Conservative would attempt this on his own. You are not following the Liberal Mantra of "Get Someone Else to Do Your Work and Pay Them with Someone Else's Money". Then they would have found a way to write it off their taxes. And they'd have taken a vacation while the work was done.

You are a disgrace.

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2015, 09:27 PM
i don't think a van load of Messkins would fit in my bathroom! I could prolly squeeze a few senoritas in there though.

bKB

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Great work. I'll call the inspector's office first thing Monday morning and tell them to stop by for a final. Ummm, you DID pull a permit, right? ;)

uh.......a what?

I don't need no stinkn permit.

Thats a fish, right?

bKB

Buckrub
08-28-2015, 09:34 PM
i don't think a van load of Messkins would fit in my bathroom! I could prolly squeeze a few senoritas in there though.

bKB

Dude!

They take turns, man.

Arty
08-28-2015, 09:39 PM
i don't think a van load of Messkins would fit in my bathroom! I could prolly squeeze a few senoritas in there though. bKB
Without having the exact dimensions I estimate 8 senioritas would fit in that their bathroom, with room for you to boot.

That is, of course, assuming your wife was out of town on a long weekend trip to visit her long lost high school friends.

Otherwise, ain't no senioritas fittin in there anytime soon.

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Are Senioritas old Mexican wimmins?

bKB

Arty
08-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Are Senioritas old Mexican wimmins? bKB

Well, yeah, but see what I was doing there is called "ageism"... I was assuming that at your age.... A real life SEŅORITA would be more than the ole ticker could handle.... Much less 8 of them!
Plus, can you imagine how good a plate of beans and rice would be when you've got 8 senioritas sharing their years of cooking secrets?!?

And again.... At your age... Isn't the fine Mexican cooking more important?!

LJ3
08-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Nice! I think having the shower head out of the box is a little premature. Hopefully that's not a theme in your life.... the premature thing.

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2015, 10:31 PM
The Senior senorita wanted to see what it looked like okay?

bKB

Chicken Dinner
08-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Has it been that long?

Buckrub
08-28-2015, 11:01 PM
My goodness, people.

BarryBobPosthole
08-28-2015, 11:19 PM
She just wanted to see that crook in it.

bKB

Captain
08-28-2015, 11:19 PM
uh.......a what? I don't need no stinkn permit. Thats a fish, right? bKB
Yes caught some last week in St. Augustine.

BarryBobPosthole
09-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Got the drywall work roughed in this morning and went and picked up the tile this afternoon. Will get the wetsaw first thing in the bloody AM a d I figure I have a day and a half's worth of tiling and day's worth of grout and trim and sealing work after that. I'm hiring the glass enclosure work done.

BKB

Thumper
09-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Nice looking job so far. For the record, I absolutely despise that type of work. Problem is, BOTH our bathrooms are due for a complete remodel. :(

BarryBobPosthole
09-02-2015, 07:28 PM
I am lucky to have adult supervision on this job, ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo.

Otherwise, it'd look like a dirt dobbers nest.
BKB

BarryBobPosthole
09-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Just this minute got finished cleaning up tools and knocking off for the day. There's two thngs I learned about this job today: 1. This job doesn't pay overtime. Hell it doesn't even pay by the hour. B: There is actually no laying involved in the laying of tiles.

That is all.
Forgive my mess. The project is coming along. The end is in sight.
BKB

Bwana
09-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Looking good Barry. Better hurry up or she won't let you go to Dogtooth. :)

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks! That's the deadline I'm under! If the Good Lord's willin' and the criks don't rise I'll scoot in under the deadline.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
09-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Prolly just in time for his plumbing job to spring a leak when's a 20+ hour drive away. At least, that's how it usually works for me. The further away I am, the bigger something at my house gets messed up.

BarryBobPosthole
09-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Or omebody will slam the door and all the tile will fall down off the walls.

bKB

airbud7
09-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Wow, that looks very good Barry...