PDA

View Full Version : These guys know a thing or two about frogs!!!.....

Big Muddy
08-27-2015, 11:18 PM
I am soooo jealous....this is the first year in a long time that I didn't get to frog hunt a single night.

Watch to the end, and see their frog haul !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSs5PrbbcZw

Thumper
08-27-2015, 11:27 PM
Damn! That's a LOT of friggin' frog legs!

As a kid, my buddy and I hardly ever missed a weekend frog gigging. We'd bring 'em home and his mom would cook 'em up for us. (that's the same guy I hit the estate sales with every weekend nowadays)

Big Muddy
08-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Seriously....I'd rather have fried frog legs than fried chicken, any day!!!

Thumper
08-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Hmmmm, I wouldn't go quite that far ... but I sure do like 'em! Give me a big ol' chicken leg any damn day though! ;)

Big Muddy
08-28-2015, 12:15 AM
I got a Chinese friend who owns a restaurant, and he buys those big jumbo frogs from some guy who commercially raises them down in Hammond, LA....he gives me call, when he gets in a fresh shipment, and we head right on over there that night....you'd think that the big ones might be tough, but he marinates them, before frying, and they are mighty tasty and tender....I can only eat about 1/2 dozen of 'em.

Thumper
08-28-2015, 12:41 AM
Ha ha! I know Hammond VERY well. On the I-12 connector after I-10 cuts down toward New Orleans. There's a Petro and a Pilot truckstop there, right across the street from each other, and I spent many nights in one or the other of those stops. One night I hit Hammond right as my clock ran out and there was not a parking spot to be had in EITHER truck stop. There was a solid line of trucks driving the loop ... into the Petro, through the Petro, out of the Petro, across the street, into the Pilot, through the Pilot, out of the Pilot, across the street and repeat. The cops were there directing traffic and refused to let ANY of us stop rolling! It was a giant merry-go-round and I assume most of the drivers were in the same boat I was in ... out of time. I spotted a little motel across the street with a big chain-link gate and a hand-painted sign that said "truck parking". I called my dispatcher, told her what was going on, and asked if she'd spring for a motel room. She told me to go for it and she'd pick up the tab! I ran in, some Indian dude opened the gate, I parked the rig and had a nice hot shower, a soft bed and a color TV to watch! I'm not positive, but I believe that was the last night I spent in Hammond.

No-till Boss
08-28-2015, 06:13 AM
Don't speed in Hammond, they're famous for their ticket giving !

Thumper
08-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Yeah, the cops were a-holes. I got my ass chewed when I stopped and hit my flashers to run in to see if a room was available! I asked the a-hole what he wanted me to do, pull a 13'6" trailer under a 12' canopy? What a jerk.

Big Muddy
08-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Don't speed in Hammond, they're famous for their ticket giving !

Every little hick town in LA has speed traps!!! A few years ago, a local farmer's wife got a speed trap ticket in Winnsboro....he erected a 4'x8' plywood sign, right beside his shop on the hiway that said, "Speed Trap Ahead"....the mayor took him to court to remove it....the farmer won, and the sign was still standing, the last time I went thru there.

Thumper
08-28-2015, 08:43 AM
We had the same deal in Waldo, a little one-horse town down here just north of me. It has been infamous for many years as the worst speed trap in the country. They went through the same thing with the signs and there was always some controversy going on with people erecting signs and the city fighting them. The police dept. was finally disbanded (just a matter of months ago) because the State started investigating them. (no clue what took so long, it's been going on for a bazillion years and EVERYBODY in Florida knows about Waldo!).

Here's the article: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-town-infamous-for-speed-traps-disbanding-police-force/

And some of the signs as you're coming into town:

http://www.tampabay.com/resources/images/dti/rendered/2014/08/WALDO_SPEED_TRAP_13750427_8col.jpg

http://www.dcclothesline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/waldo-speed-trap.jpg