PDA

View Full Version : Chiggers

BarryBobPosthole
08-29-2015, 06:49 AM
WTF good are they?

Got into to some fishing this week and they're driving me nuts! Pun definitely intended!

bKB

Thumper
08-29-2015, 08:59 AM
I remember I was out hunting one time and got into a PILE of 'em. Man, they 'bout ate me alive! My pecker and balls looked like I had some tropical venereal disease or sumpin' ... red and swollen and nasty lookin'! Of course, those were my single days and one night I ran into a gal I'd known for a while, but we'd never hooked up. Of course, THAT had to be the night we DID hook up! I felt like a teenager getting his cherry popped because I had to always make sure the lights were completely off before letting Willy breathe, plus avoided letting her get too crazy with her "examination"! It was a weird night for sure! ;)

Chiggers SUCK! Pun definitely intended!

Buckrub
08-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Last time at the farm, we got into them. My grandson got them just like you did........he brought two buddies from NC with him, and one of them........well, we almost had to take him to the hospital.

We sprayed with Permethrin too.

When I get back from STL, I'm going to have to go work at camp AND the farm...........and they'll be ferocious. I have bought some Sawyer's Permethrin spray and I'm going to spray my clothes and socks before I put them on!!! And I'm going to turn my jeans inside out and spray the legs. When I have done that, I keep them off.

Lots of remedies. I always soaked in a bath with salt and baking soda, lots of it........but if you research online it says NOT to use a hot bath, that they like heat. And they do go dormant under 60 degrees F.

The price we pay to have liquid water year round.

BarryBobPosthole
08-29-2015, 10:17 AM
We don't normally have much of an issue where we go as the guy keeps his cows sprayed pretty good and I assume he must lay down domething for them because most places with as many deer as he has and as many cows as he has would be covered up with them. This is just a banner year for ticks and chiggers here though.

I just use rubbing alcohol on the bites and that usually kills the chiggers and we get so few I hardly ever need the 'cure', which is a couple cups of bleach in some bathwater and sit and soak a spell.

BKB

quercus alba
08-29-2015, 02:09 PM
when we were kids we always took sulfur pills, grandma swore seed ticks and red bugs wouldn't bite if you did. Only thing I can remember was it smelled funny when you sweated. there's something called chigg away with sulfur in it that's supposed to be really good.

BarryBobPosthole
08-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Chiggers have to serve some purpose in the whole Master Plan of things don't they?

Like maybe if you're dumb enough to get chiggers on you, constantly scratching your balls makes you a poor choice for a mate, thus not passing your chigger feasting, ball scratching genes on to the next generation. But that doesn't make any sense. Maybe its the other way around or there wouldn't be any chiggers. Or ball scratchers. Or majpr league baseball players.

bKB

Chicken Dinner
08-29-2015, 03:57 PM
I can only imagine what kind of exotic clap that poor girl thought Jim had given her only to find out it was chiggers.

HideHunter
08-31-2015, 10:34 AM
little known, thus over-looked fact - Chiggers are long gone before you ever feel a "bite"... they do not "burrow" into the skin.. They feed and leave.

LJ3
08-31-2015, 10:45 AM
I can only imagine what kind of exotic clap that poor girl thought Jim had given her only to find out it was chiggers.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Thumper
08-31-2015, 11:13 AM
Some o'youse can bite me! You know who you are.

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2015, 12:34 PM
little known, thus over-looked fact - Chiggers are long gone before you ever feel a "bite"... they do not "burrow" into the skin.. They feed and leave.

I guess that explains why they can start at your ankles and work their way up.

BKB

LJ3
08-31-2015, 12:35 PM
a different kind of trail of tears, as it were

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2015, 12:59 PM
All I know is I got into a mess of them last week. From now on I'm gonna tippy toe from truck to boat and back and not wander far off to pee.

BKB

LJ3
08-31-2015, 01:42 PM
I'd pay money to watch you tippy toe.

BarryBobPosthole
08-31-2015, 03:12 PM
I am quite agile for a man of my august presence than you very much.

BKB