PDA

View Full Version : Yuuuuummmmmm!!!

Thumper
08-29-2015, 09:02 PM
We went down to the Greek sponge docks for dinner tonight. Lynn ordered Souvlaki, but I had to go for my all-time favorite. I started out with Saganaki, Fried Kefalogaviera cheese, (with pita) as an appetizer.

Then on to my main course, grilled octopus. Dang it was good!

I call this series of pics, Going ... going ... GONE! :D

quercus alba
08-29-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm down wit dat

Nandy
08-31-2015, 04:32 PM
That look delish!!!

Big Skyz
09-01-2015, 10:15 AM
None of y'all are wrapped right!!!

quercus alba
09-01-2015, 10:21 AM
I can't speak for Kribbs and Nandy but I'm just a good old all American country boy. Straight as a string wrapped tight as a fiddle. Not my fault that I like to eat duck and fish bait.

Thumper
09-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Just walk straight and hold your head high Q/A ... you can't let these know-nothing bumpkins bring you down. ;)

Big Skyz
09-01-2015, 11:25 AM
I've traveled a bit, not as much as Kribbs, but I've done my fair share. I've found that in every country I have ever visited that they all make some incredibly good things to eat. However guts and bait aren't part of that "good eats" experience.

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2015, 11:33 AM
I've not tried octopus prepared the way Thumper shows it here, but I've bought it fresh in Hawaii, cut it into strips and grilled it and it is fantastic eating. I can't think of anything that would match the texture. Seeing these critters diving a lot, I am constantly amazed by their intelligence and they actually have a unique personality as undersea critters go. That makes it tougher, for me at least, to eat them and think of them being collected on the scale it takes for them to be readily available in restaurants. I know that's prolly stupid to some folks, but in general I like my prey animals dumber. And yes I know all about anthropomorphizing shit and I don't think I'm doing that. I still will order calamari fried when its on the menu. Especially with italian food! Hypocrite. That's what I am.

BKB

Big Skyz
09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
BBP as far as the texture of octopus goes this rubber octopus should come pretty close. ;)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7714945024_607b51e681_z.jpg

As far as how you feel about octopus as intelligent creatures I feel the same way about them. I think they are far more intelligent that most humans give them credit for. It's good deer aren't as smart as octopus or nobody would ever kill one.

Thumper
09-01-2015, 11:58 AM
I would imagine octopus might have that texture if over cooked. I know I've had over cooked calamari and it's like trying to eat rubberbands!

Chicken Dinner
09-01-2015, 12:23 PM
I much prefer squid over octopus, but am not squeamish about either.

Big Skyz
09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
The octopus I had was raw and still wiggling. It was exactly like chewing a rubber toy with a really fishy taste. It was horrible!!!

Thumper
09-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I like liver and onions, but I doubt I'd be too crazy about raw calf's liver! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I like Poke', which has raw ahi thinly sliced in it, but that's pretty much where I draw the line with raw fish. I like seafood 'cooked' in citrus juice like in cerviche too, but I don't count that as raw.

bkB

Thumper
09-01-2015, 01:00 PM
I like Poke', which has raw ahi thinly sliced in it, but that's pretty much where I draw the line with raw fish. I like seafood 'cooked' in citrus juice like in cerviche too, but I don't count that as raw.

bkB

I'm pretty much with you P-hole. I love cerviche also and always have poke at least a couple times when in Hawaii. I do love sushi, but that's not always raw fish ... sushi is actually the rice. It's like bread ... you can have all sorts of sammiches, but it's still made with bread. Most people simply assume sushi is raw fish. To be honest, I'm not a big fish eater and actually HATE anything with a fishy taste (OR smell). I do like most any shellfish and most milder, "white" fish.

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2015, 01:07 PM
I have only had scallops fresh once, but in the 70's when I lived in St Pete, I spent a weekend at Homosassa Springs over in the armpit of Florida. Went snorkeling there and collected a bunch of scallops and scooped those little effers out and sauted them in some butter and I've never tasted anything to come close to it since. Also got to snorkel with some manatees there in the spring itself. Quite an experience. My four years in florida turned me into a lifelong lover of the sea. From catching blue crabs with a chicken neck on a string to digging clams to fishing from the Gandy Bridge, Seems like every weekend we were eating something out of the ocean. I began a lifetime love affair with conch there too.

BKB

Thumper
09-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Yep, when I had my "big" boat, I went scalloping every season. We always made a big party out of it with a bunch of other boaters. If cooked correctly, those things will literally melt in your mouth!

Chicken Dinner
09-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Man, I love scallops (and sushi!). The key is to cook them in a hot enough pan to where they're just barely done through and still browned a big on the outside. A lot of places way over cook them. I order them a lot when I go out because they're so damned expensive at the store.

Nandy
09-01-2015, 03:44 PM
None of y'all are wrapped right!!!

nah, I just like to eat other stuff than McDonalds and burger king... I have my limitations but dont look down on others with different taste.

Big Skyz
09-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Not looking down on ya Nandy, just stating a solid difference of opinion. I can't get my mind around eating guts or bait. Never have, never will.

Nandy
09-01-2015, 05:16 PM
We cool... Dang, sounded like them teenagers here.. lol!