PDA

View Full Version : iphone quershun....

Big Muddy
09-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Well, I dropped my day'um iphone in the lake....I dried it out best I could, but it won't power up....I've got the phone ins. coverage, and they gave me a new one, but said since the other one won't power up, I'd lose all my contacts, pics, etc...just wish I had my contacts list, mainly....do ya'll know any way I might retrieve my contacts list from some other source???

Thanks.

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2015, 02:00 PM
if you're connected to the cloud you ought to be able to retrieve them from there.

Otherwise you'd have to ask a phone knowerabouter. Like Bucky!

bKB

LJ3
09-01-2015, 02:07 PM
If you didn't back up to the cloud or to your PC using iTunes, they're dead, Jim

Hombre
09-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Yep Cloud. Verizon does have a machine that dries phones and it worked with mine. May be too late if you've already tried to power it on.

Thumper
09-01-2015, 03:22 PM
I've heard of people putting their phone in a Ziplok bag full of rice after dunking them, and they ended up working. (it absorbs all the moisture, like rice in your salt shaker) I'd think that would be something you'd want to do right away though.

quercus alba
09-01-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm failing to understand why a fellow needs a phone on the lake. Kinda defeats the purpose of going to the lake

Nandy
09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Problem with wet electronics is the power frying some of the most sensitive circuits. For now, take that battery out and do not put it back or power it in any other way. I would put the phone close to a vent, dehumidifier, fridge vent, heck, even a food dehydrator at low temp (100 deg) for a day or two. Dont do the rice thing, that wont really help. Your need air flow and dry air flow. At this moment, if they dont want the wet phone back i would take it apart (google it) so it can dry up faster. It might not be too late, it might still be wet and that is why you dont see anything coming up.
Good luck.

Thumper
09-01-2015, 03:59 PM
I thought you couldn't take the battery out of an iPhone. (???)

Big Muddy
09-01-2015, 04:37 PM
I thought you couldn't take the battery out of an iPhone. (???)

You're right Thump...you can't remove the battery....and, the rice and/or air vent thing didn't work, either....phone was totally fubared...after getting the new one, I called Apple, and was lucky enough to get about half my contacts back.

Big Muddy
09-01-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm failing to understand why a fellow needs a phone on the lake. Kinda defeats the purpose of going to the lake

QA, I was expecting a cell call from a tall lanky blonde with a soft suntan....she wanted to see my boat, and told me she was gonna yank my anchor....so, what would you have done??? ;););)

Nandy
09-01-2015, 04:57 PM
yeah, I forgot about the battery. that is about the most stupid thing I seen in iphones. However, opening one is not that hard, I have open many ipods and they are similar... Well, now you will know better to back that up which reminds me, I need to back mine too..

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Seafoam, dude.

bKB

Thumper
09-01-2015, 05:54 PM
DANG! Forgot all about the Seafoam! Duh!

Buckrub
09-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Put it in a Toyota glove box for 4 days.

Thumper
09-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Put it in a Toyota glove box for 4 days.

That just might do the trick! Some of that Toyota goodness might soak in and fix it. Why didn't I think of that? ;)

Big Muddy
09-01-2015, 07:17 PM
I was saving the SeaFoam for lubricant, when the blonde showed up. ;)

Captain
09-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Muddy. Make sure them folks fix your iPhone to connect to the cloud. At least the contacts and calendar. I DONT back pictures up to the cloud however. They take up a lot of room. iPhones are not good swimmers. I've got one on the bottom of the Sluda River. :-)

Chicken Dinner
09-01-2015, 08:10 PM
You should have got an Android. I hear they can swim.

No-till Boss
09-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Men with iPhones are proving that the Y chromosome really is getting weaker .......

Big Muddy
09-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Cap, I had my phone backed up on icloud....the problem was the service rep at the cellphone store....she said she would have to erase my phone info. from Apple, so nobody else could use it, IF it was repairable and sold as a refurbish....I said that was fine, but transfer and download my stuff, before doing so....long story short, somewhere during the process, I only got about half my sheeit downloaded.
I'll know better, next time, to not go to the democrat counter at the cellphone store. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-01-2015, 09:02 PM
You never need Verizon or any other carrier to wipe your phone for you. you can do that at any time yourself. At least pn iphone you can. I'm sure others work similarly.

bKB

Big Muddy
09-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Yep, you're right, Phole, and I know how to do that....the gal in the store offered to do it, so I let her, but I think she jumped the gun on it....who knows for sure....but, I got most of my important stuff back.

Thumper
09-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Dumb question, how do you "wipe" the phone if it's not working? (or did I miss something?)

Buckrub
09-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Hammer.

Nandy
09-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Dumb question, how do you "wipe" the phone if it's not working? (or did I miss something?)

I think they are talking about stuff left in the cloud....

Thumper
09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Oh, ok ... got it.

Big Muddy
09-02-2015, 06:14 PM
One last iphone quershun, promise....some time ago, I think we already had a "grand GH discussion" about this, previously(which I think involved the blonde lady from the northwest, but I may be mistaken). ;)

Is it best to put the "portrait orientation lock" in the on or off position???

Buckrub
09-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Can't answer that about the iPhone. But seriously, we're so chauvinistic about the one we own, but aren't these all amazing devices? How far we have come. I'm sitting in STL waiting on gate to open, talking to my buddies all over north America. Isn't that amazing?

Big Muddy
09-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Almost as amazing as me, right now, texting and bs'ing with friends, who are sitting at an outdoor cafe table in Germany, eating some sort of disgusting sheeit, that I doubt even Thump would eat!!! ;)

Nandy
09-02-2015, 06:55 PM
But seriously, we're so chauvinistic about the one we own,

You must be talking about he Apple lovers and their "im better than you, look how much this cost and you can have one because you are not as wonderful as me" types..... RLMAO.

The rest, are just right!

PS - Y'all should know im just frigging around.... just in case....

Thumper
09-02-2015, 07:34 PM
One last iphone quershun, promise....some time ago, I think we already had a "grand GH discussion" about this, previously(which I think involved the blonde lady from the northwest, but I may be mistaken). ;)

Is it best to put the "portrait orientation lock" in the on or off position???

Everybody got sidetracked and never answered. I leave mine unlocked because I like having the option of rotating my phone to view different things in different ways. I'd say "unlocked" unless you have a hard time rotating your screen for some reason.

Big Muddy
09-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Sorta what I was thinking, too, Thump....but, it's always best to ask the "GH Consulting Group and Goat Wranglers." ;)

Nandy
09-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Everybody got sidetracked and never answered.

is that the kettle calling the pot black?????!!!!!!

Thumper
09-02-2015, 08:01 PM
is that the kettle calling the pot black?????!!!!!!

What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis???

Have you seen that video of the Python and Cobra fighting in Singapore? (they break loose at about 1:40) ;)

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yESGnieUGfY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nandy
09-02-2015, 09:13 PM
clasic...

Thumper
09-03-2015, 12:09 AM
:biggrin