PDA

View Full Version : Much needed R+R

Big Skyz
09-02-2015, 11:22 AM
I haven't done a lot of posting the last month or two because work and life have been driving me crazy and stressing me out beyond belief. Sometimes a guy just needs to walk away from everything for a brief escape to get his mind right again. That is exactly what I did last night after work. I got a tip from a friend about a tiny creek up in the mountains that was chuck full of cutthroat trout and rarely received any fishing pressure. So I put the pedal to the metal last night after work and zipped up into the mountains as fast as I could without wrecking my pick up.

The hike into the creek was very pleasant. Note the well beaten trail into the creek. Yup, there wasn't one and that is just what I was hoping for.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Hughsville%209-1-15C_zpszp4dmznu.jpg

I crept up to the first hole very carefully and made my first cast right into the center the white water in the center of the photo.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Hughsville%209-1-15A_zpstke7wvdq.jpg

I was rewarded with an immediate strike, and an absolutely stunningly beautiful little cutty.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy%20Cutthroat%209-1-15C_zpsjcmczgev.jpg

From there on out it was cast after cast and strike after strike. Every single hole produced fish eager to bite. I have no idea how many fish I missed or landed, but the action was fast and furious. I didn't even have time to think about the things in life that have been bogging me down. I mean how can you when you hold a fish as beautiful as this in your hand?
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy%20Cutthroat%209-1-15F_zpsix4dqehr.jpg

Time slipped away all too fast, and before I knew it the evening was growing late, and I knew I had to head back out to my pick up. I decided to catch at least one more fish and then go. This chunky little cutthroat obliged my wish and capped off a perfect adventure.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy%20Cutthroat%209-1-15E_zps2vyyu0mg.jpg

I am guilty of being so consumed with catching trout 18" or larger, I completely forgotten just how much fun catching feisty little high mountain trout can be. It's been years since I've had this much fun in a tiny mountain creek, but you can bet I won't let so much time slip away before I return to this little piece of paradise. So somewhat reluctantly, I took one last look at the creek before climbing up to the trail to hike out. As I hiked back to my truck I noticed there was more of a bounce in my step and somehow the weight of the world on my shoulders seemed much lighter. Sometimes fishy therapy is the best therapy there is.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Hughsville%209-1-15B_zpsu3pnj8zb.jpg

LJ3
09-02-2015, 11:29 AM
NICE! Glad you got some time with what's important!

Thumper
09-02-2015, 11:37 AM
You ain't gonna believe this, but I've had a very stressful couple of days, and this morning has been total Hell on earth. Your post even calmed ME down! Thanks B/S ... beautiful country AND photography.

Now, it's back to reality for me, but at least I'm now starting off at ground zero.

Big Skyz
09-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Thump...oh I can believe it. Yesterday was a total crap day for me until I stepped out of my truck and into the creek. I'm glad my post helped take your mind of your troubles even if was just for a moment.

No-till Boss
09-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Stress is horrible, I've suffered my fair share in the past also. I hope you guys get some relief soon !

Chicken Dinner
09-02-2015, 12:05 PM
You truly live in Paradise for 4-5 months a year. Glad to see you got some stress relief.

LJ3
09-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Hey BS, how do you like the smoke reel? Iw as looking at them but just couldn't pull the trigger on a non-shimano reel. Never know how long they'll hold up :)

Buckrub
09-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Beautiful place and pictures. ..

Big Skyz
09-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Len, it's okay, but I'm sticking with Shimano from here on out. I like the drag a little better on the smoke than on my Shimano's, but it's a small difference and the Shimano higher end reels just feel much smoother overall. I have zero complaints about my Shimano Stradic ci4 except that I don't own more of them. I'd like to pick one up in a 1500 and another in a 3000. For now my 2500 will just have to do.

LJ3
09-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Kinda what I was imagining. I'll stick with the Stradics :) My 1000 series C4i has converted me to that size now. I've fished the 2500 since forever and a day but making the switch to a 6' medium light rod, 100 series C4i and 10lb powerpro I have finally arrived at what I consider the finest smallie river rig I've owned. Unless you count the 2500 C4i on the 6'6" loomis bronzeback rod, or the C4i 2500 on my fenwick HMC badass rod that started out at 6'6" but is now about 6'2" on it's 3rd rod tip.

Seriously though, that 1000 is every bit as capable as the 2500 on a good 6ft rod and fighting a decent river fish with it is about as fun as it gets. It's nice to fight a fish on a light rig like that but know in the back of your mind that if you have to horse it in fast, you can.

But enough about me...

Those pics are outstanding!

Thumper
09-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Dang! I just priced the reels youse dufes are talkin' about. I think I'll stick with my closed-face Snoopy Zebco! Sheeesh! One'a these days we'll have to get together so I can outfish bof'a youse with my killer rig.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/yGUAAOSwNSxVdwRn/$_1.JPG

I even gots a brand new spare, still in the package, just in case I wear mine out, but it just keeps crankin' those monsters in with no problem. I keep my back-up behind the seat of my truck just in case. Being an ex-Boy Scout, I simply like to be prepared for the unexpected. ;)

http://collectpeanuts.com/Collection/ImagesW/SportsEquipment/201202/IMG_1299.jpg

Big Skyz
09-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Well I hope you the matching tent for those overnight excursions into the wilderness.
http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/16749373?wid=480&hei=480

Thumper
09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
That's on my Christmas wish list! :D

Nandy
09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Big Sky, glad you found some time to fish and relive the stress. I love bluelining, fish is very cooperative as long as you dont spook them or line them unlike them big rivers trout that has seen every pattern in the world.
I am also a shimano zealot and have them match with shimano rods as well. I do have other stuff but when I want quality that is what I shoot after. Real smooth reels and I have a few oldies. I recently went to BPS and got another shimano combo. I cant recall the model but they are noticeable smoother nowadays. I think the combo ran me like $250 so it is not the shimano top of the line but still good.

IF it is not a secret what were you using to catch them? I have flyfish for trout for so long I dont even remember what can be used other than rooster tails...

Big Skyz
09-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Nandy, I will probably disappoint you in my choice of bait. I used to fish small mountain creeks quite a bit when I lived in Utah. I found down there that a single or double salmon egg was usually the most effective bait. I haven't used salmon eggs since I moved to Montana 21 years ago. Anyway I thought they might work last night and gave them a whirl. They were absolutely dynamite! I started off using a little gold salmon egg hook and kept missing or losing fish. So I reached into my fly tying stash and switched to some tiny scud hooks. After the switch I hardly lost a fish. It reminded me that those stupid little gold salmon hooks are pert near useless. If I head back up to that creek any time soon I'm thinking about taking my fly rod and trying either a small Adams or small egg patten. I'm pretty sure either would work. Might even toss a red San Juan worm at them and see what happens.

Captain
09-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Big Sky that is a great report and congrats on making time for some relaxing. I'm fixing to do the same myself.
Sure wish I had been there with you that looks like some pretty country. (And fish)

Big Skyz
09-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Captain if you ever find your way back out here we'll go. It's worth it just to see the country its in.

Nandy
09-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Nandy, I will probably disappoint you in my choice of bait.

I have fish with my own tied eggs many, many times. I had a killer pattern with glass beads that make the yolk look more natural and added weight to the egg. I only fished them in shallow water or really clear water so I could set the hook. In occasion i had deep hookups when I could not see the action and the strike indicator was pushing 3 feet from the fly. Damn eggs are so effective..

Bwana
09-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Now that looks like a blast. Glad to hear you made it out.

FooBang
09-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Great pics, BS! Queshun: How far you gotta drive to see a tree? :)

Big Skyz
09-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Not counting the trees in my yard?

FooBang
09-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Can I count the deer in my backyard then? :)