PDA

View Full Version : To me, this is equivalent to the 'Smart Buy' in car buying

Buckrub
09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/biggest-change-for-iphone-how-youll-pay/ar-AAe5tOz?li=AA4Zjn

"Smart Buy", to me, is STUPID buy. And no, this is not the same thing because there's no balloon payment. But they are obviously all going to stop subsidizing phones and bundle that with 2 year contracts.......and make you pay outright for the overpriced phone. You can lease it, or buy it on installments, or purchase it outright, but you WILL buy it at full price.

I would not mind the new change in the way phones are bought, necessarily...........but for two things that they need to change. One is that there is no competition for phones........that is, you still are buying locked phones that work on CDMA, or GSM, but not both. This is what competition has resulted in.........not lower pricing, and no network standard. Competition is supposed to do both those things, and it has done neither in Telecom. So if we're going to pay full price for phones, the price of the phones needs to come down. I think one reason that doesn't happen is the frequent change in Technology. I swear, I thought a new iPhone came out recently, but another is due to be announced today. So long as the unemployed Gen Y boogers HAVE to have the latest and greatest, I guess the price isn't going to come down. You'd think the "One previous generation" phone would drop like a rock in price!

Second is that if a person is happy with their phone, and does NOT want to change (me!), and that phone is already paid for and owned, then the 'plan' they're on should be cut in about half, because no plan covers the subsidization of phone costs anymore. I don't see that happening either! Which ticks me off!

So there.