PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore did WHAT?

Buckrub
09-09-2015, 11:50 AM
World has gone nuts....

Chicken Dinner
09-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Did I miss something? What did the Baltimorons do now?

Buckrub
09-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Paid the family of Freddy Gray a bazillion bucks.........before the trial!

Chicken Dinner
09-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Oh, that. The timing does seem a bit weird. Something tells me they figured that win or lose at trial a civil jury of his peers would cost them way more than $6.4m. So, settling made business sense. (I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the fact that they settled civilly isn't admissible in criminal court.)

BarryBobPosthole
09-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Bucky thinks they should be able to sever your spinal cord and not have to pay anything.

Personally, I think this is a ploy to hose the criminal prosecution of the cops involved while at the same time paying off the family. Ta da. Everybody's happy.

BKB

Buckrub
09-09-2015, 01:26 PM
So apparently Posty also thinks there is a conspiracy at work!

Buckrub
09-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Bucky thinks they should be able to sever your spinal cord and not have to pay anything.

Personally, I think this is a ploy to hose the criminal prosecution of the cops involved while at the same time paying off the family. Ta da. Everybody's happy.

BKB

I do if they are adjudicated innocent.

Chicken Dinner
09-09-2015, 01:33 PM
You may have something there Posthole. They clearly want these cops to be found guilty. My wife is from Baltimore (not the city) so we spend a fair amount of time up there. The issue is going to be if they're found not guilty any way. The resulting riots will make this past spring look like a walk in the park. As it is, the murder rate in Baltimore has exploded since Freddie Gray's death. Some say it's because the cops are doing an unofficial slow down as the city's political leadership has hung them out to dry. How's that for a conspiracy?

LJ3
09-09-2015, 01:38 PM
I think Postholes postulate applies here.

LJ3
09-09-2015, 01:40 PM
SNL

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zGBw8jS3sMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BarryBobPosthole
09-09-2015, 02:00 PM
It will he a tough job for any jury to make sense of thos case. But exactly how does one get theor spinal cord severed while in police custody? And how does one end up in police custody for posessing what was questionably an illegal switchblade. in fact, they found the switchblade AFTER he was taken into custody. Is that normal police process where you live?
Man, I hate to take the side against the Baltimore cops because I think their mayor is on biased bitch. but there hasn't been much from the Baltimore cops to clarify what exactly did happen and why.

And if this is the way it went down' 6 million bucks is getting off cheap.

bKB

Herb2
09-09-2015, 03:28 PM
It will he a tough job for any jury to make sense of thos case. But exactly how does one get theor spinal cord severed while in police custody? And how does one end up in police custody for posessing what was questionably an illegal switchblade. in fact, they found the switchblade AFTER he was taken into custody. Is that normal police process where you live?
Man, I hate to take the side against the Baltimore cops because I think their mayor is on biased bitch. but there hasn't been much from the Baltimore cops to clarify what exactly did happen and why.

And if this is the way it went down' 6 million bucks is getting off cheap.

bKB

Barry, as I understand the facts, he was arrested carrying heroin, as well. According to what I read, he swallowed a bag, which ruptured in his digestive tract, which might explain his actions when arrested and was put in the van. He apparently also had a history of staging fraudulent "accidents" to extort money from drivers.

Is it possible that he was trying to "hurt" himself to set up the police, but in his drugged state over played his hand and actually injured himself? Is there evidence "beyond a reasonable doubt" that will serve to convict the police officers; that is enough to "prove" that a particular set of actions led to his death?

If we had evidence that, say, Freddy Gray was throwing himself at the van wall, and couple that with a sudden stop by the driver, then what we have is an accident, which should result in ZERO payment to the plaintiffs.

If on the other hand there is evidence that the police stopped the van and beat Gray, then the plaintiffs should be paid.

But even if the second case applies, is the $6.4 Million paid out too little, too much or just right? Would you like to make the argument that Mr. Gray would have legally made $6.4 Million during the remainder of his life? Say that the settlement is twice as much as it should be, to "punish" and "make an example" of the miscreants; can you make the argument that he is worth $ 3.2 Million?

Another factor to consider is that apparently, Maryland law will cap the actual payment to be made in such cases at $400,000.00. If all they can get is $400,000.00 what possible purpose would agreeing to "pay" Millions when the actual payout would be much, much, lower?

BarryBobPosthole
09-09-2015, 03:34 PM
if those are the facts in the case then I wonder why the prosecutor filed charges then? I can't believe in that entire sequence of events there's no video. And remember, he died a week later, not that night.

I think something is rotten in Denmark both in the arrest and in the settlement.

bKB

Buckrub
09-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Turns out y'all know more about this than I do..........which is normal!! :)

Here's a Right Wing Nut Email I just got on the subject. Thus, the laws of nature ensure that there is not one cogent item in it. Nonetheless, I give it in case some of you left leaners have low blood pressure today (meaning you didn't watch the game!)

BALTIMORE SHOULD BE ASHAMED

Crime does pay

--
Baltimore has just rewarded the family of Fredie Gray 6.4 million dollars for raising a scumbag son. Gray had a criminal record, on drug charges and minor crimes. Gray had been involved in 20 criminal court cases, five of which were still active at the time of his death, and was due in court on a possession charge on April 24. In February 2009, he was sentenced to four years in prison for two counts of drug possession with intent to deliver and was paroled in 2011. In 2012, he was arrested for violating parole but was not sent back to prison. In 2013, he returned to jail for a month before being released again.

Gray had a lengthy arrest record with convictions dating back until at least 2007, according to the Maryland Department of Justice. Not all of the arrests led to convictions, in many of the cases he pleaded guilty to one charge while the others were dropped. Details of when he spent time in prison are not immediately available. His arrest record includes at least 18 arrests….his 2015 record is especially telling of what a great individual he was.

March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance
March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault
January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing
January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute
December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute
December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance
August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing
January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana
September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape
April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation
July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute
March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute
February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance
August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation
August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana
August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)

I’m sure if he lived he would have contributed to society and made his “family” proud! Confused smile

Buckrub
09-09-2015, 06:02 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/freddie-gray-settlement-obscene-police-union-chief-says/ar-AAe6Tjs