PDA

View Full Version : A "rough" day and close to tears here. (Thump post, sorry)

Thumper
09-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Man-o-man, I've really been dwelling on something all morning, and I'm really choked up right now. Today I've probably been missing my dad more than any time since he passed away a few years ago. I guess I just need to walk away from my computer and take a little break, but then, sometimes writing about something can sometimes be soothing. I'll try ....

Some of my favorite memories as a kid was the time I spent with my dad around the racing circles. Normally, he built cars and/or engines for other racers. He also pitted for some (what would be considered a Crew Chief today). He had his "regular job", but had his own shop where the racing stuff was done. Generally, I'd go to school, get my chores/homework done, Dad would get off work, come home, eat supper, then the two of us would head to the shop. I could not tell you how many race engines I watched him build or how many hours I spent in the race car shop observing the building of cars from the ground up. Many weekend nights, I slept on a stack of tires while he and his "crew" prepared the race car.

Every Friday night we'd run the local circle track. Every Saturday night we'd run a circle track out of town ... usually on the east coast. Every Sunday was spent at the drag strip. We'd also run a limited NASCAR circuit (Daytona, Darlington, Atlanta, etc). In between, we'd run SCCA races with a Corvette (Sebring, Atlanta, etc). All of those cars, although built and maintained by my dad, were owned by someone else.

In 1957, Ford came out with a Ford Fairlane 500 with a Paxton blown 312 cid engine ... an extremely rare combination. '57 was the year Ford decided to kick Chevrolet's butt, and this is the car that did it. Ford sales in '57 were higher than Chevrolet for the first time since 1934! The way this car came about was Ford decided to kick ass in NASCAR racing. Only production cars could run in NASCAR, so to qualify, a manufacturer had to produce a minimum of 100 cars by the first of January, then produce x-amount (2000?) during the model year. This car did what they set out to do. Ford won 26 NASCAR races compared to Chevy's 21. (these were the days of the fuel injected '57 Chevy and others running 2x4bbl carbs, etc) The "blown" '57 Ford was the dominant car of the day. BUT ... it was so dominant, NASCAR changed the rules that year and mandated single carburetors ONLY. So it was a 1-year wonder. What made this car even more rare, since NASCAR banned it from racing, the projected model run was never completed and only 975 of these cars were ever built!

Well, besides all the racing mentioned above, we spent every Sunday at the drag strip. Dad managed to get his hands on one of these Fairlanes and learned how to "tweak" that blower for even more power (Ok, technically, it was cheating ... but that was part of the game in those days) Nobody else really knew much about this new engine/blower combination and he became an expert. So, as stated above, we spent every Sunday at the drag races ... racing the only race car my dad ever actually owned. It was a top runner and the tracks would actually pay him show money and advertise on the radio that he'd be racing on a certain weekend in order to draw a larger crowd. Even if he had the car torn down, they'd pay him just to bring it to the track whether he ran it or not! He was VERY good at what he did and I was always with him (I was the ONLY kid out of 6 in the family who had any interest in cars or racing).

Ok, all that has led up to this ... when I was about 13-14 years old, my mom gave dad an ultimatum ... the race car or her! I remember it like it was just yesterday, dad walked out and started polishing that Ford while he "thought it over"! Needless to say, he decided to sell the car and we got out of the drag racing business. :(

Later in life, my dad's dream was to own another '57 Ford ... not to race, just for old-time's sake. He never expected a blown model as they are as rare as hen's teeth, but he wanted to have one, painted like his old one (Silver/Navy Blue two-tone) and ... well, he just WANTED one. But, life was always in the way and he never obtained that dream.

Now, what put me in a blue funk today is, I just started making plans to hit tomorrow's estate sales and my jaw hit the floor when I looked at a local sale and spotted a 1957 Ford Fairlane with a Paxton blown 312!! The serial number is an "F" series, which means it's authentic. Heck, who knows? It could possibly be HIS old car. I know the chances are slim to none, but stranger things have happened. They're extremely rare and this is the same area where he sold his so many years ago. This one was stored in a barn here locally and will be part of the estate sale. I swear, if my dad were still alive, I'd mortgage my house to buy it for him! I can't believe I'll actually be able to touch this thing and run my hands over it. It's supposedly in great shape, but not restored. DAMN I wish I could share this with my dad right now. :(

http://pictures.estatesales.net/967038/22882871/1.jpg

http://pictures.estatesales.net/967038/22882873/1.jpg

http://pictures.estatesales.net/967038/22882872/1.jpg

http://pictures.estatesales.net/967038/22882870/1.jpg

Hombre
09-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Man that's cool. I know you're not a believer but I believe he'll be with you when you go to look at the car. Whether its from above or in your heart he'll be right there with you. Enjoy it, and remember the great times.

LJ3
09-10-2015, 12:43 PM
What Hombre said. Lot's of people will never memories anywhere close to what you have with your Dad. Consider yourself very lucky, my friend! That's a great Thump story!

Hopefully they won't have to ask the old guy clutching the seatback sobbing inside the car to leave, that the sale is over :)

Buckrub
09-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Consider yourself some lucky to have good memories. Some don't even have that.

Hang in there. Some days are just tougher than others...........and night is tougher than day. But if the sun comes up, somehow things get some better..........

Fido
09-10-2015, 03:32 PM
That is one sweet lookin ride!!! I remember going too Detroit Dragway and seeing one of those 57s run. Didn't they offer that with a 4 speed tranny?

Thumper
09-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Fido, I really don't know for sure, but I don't believe so. I was pretty young at the time and don't remember all the details. I know it came with the T-85 3-on-the-tree and dad converted his to a floor shifter ... but I honestly don't know if he kept the T-85 or went to a 4-speed. I do know, the T-85 was rock solid and the strongest tranny of the day at that time, so he may have kept it. I wish he were here to ask.

Gosh, the memories have been flooding in today and I can just see the crowds that car used to draw. I remember he even did some publicity type exhibition runs against Big Daddy Don Garlits. Of course Garlits spotted him, but it would really draw a crowd!

The funniest memory I have is the time we were at a track he'd never run before. It had a VERY short shut-down lane and right at the end, there was a small ditch, then a fence, then a busy highway! He was accustomed to much longer shut-down lanes and ran no front brakes (removed those heavy-assed drum brakes from the front). The F-model came with 3" drums and he had decent stopping power with the rears. Anyway, he made a run and once he cleared the traps, all he could see was the end of the track right in front of him. He pulled a classic movie stuntman move, locked up the rears, spun 180 degrees, slammed it in gear and smoked the tires as he gassed it out'ta there! When he got back to the pits the whole crowd was crammed around the car. Everyone was slapping him on the back, telling him that was the most fantastic display of driving talent they'd ever seen and they LOVED the "show"! After the excitement died down and the crowd thinned, he told me he'd be right back as he had to go clean out his pants! He said he had no clue the shut-down lane was that short and the whole "show" was nothing more than his desperate move to keep from crashing the car! We never told anybody that "show" wasn't planned! :D

No-till Boss
09-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Lovin' the stories Thump, I'd buy you a beer if I was there.

FooBang
09-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Right in the feels, Thump... That is a sweet ride, though.