PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing???

Big Muddy
09-11-2015, 09:06 AM
It's the anniversary of the 9-11 attack, and I vividly remember, exactly what I was doing....my Dad and Mom were still living, at the time, and I had dropped by their house to check on them, after getting my farm labor up and running for the day.

When I walked in, my Dad was sitting in his recliner, watching the event unfold on tv....with tears streaming down his face, he asked me if I had heard the horrible news....I said that I had not, and Dad stated, "We have been attacked."

The first WTC building had just been hit, so I sat down, and we watched the terrifying attack of the second WTC building, then, the news of the other planes that hit the Pentagon and the one that crashed.

My Dad was an Air Force officer, during WW2, and was a fighter aircraft flight instructor....he took the events of 9-11 very hard, and just could not hold back his emotions.

No-till Boss
09-11-2015, 09:50 AM
I finished rice harvest early that day and went home and watched the coverage . Still seems surreal .....

LJ3
09-11-2015, 09:57 AM
As I was walking in to work, people were coming out of my building crying and generally hysterical. We had a news feed cable station on a tv in the lobby. I watched for about 15 seconds, calmly turned around, got back in my truck and grabbed my kids from daycare and hightailed it home to where I felt like I could protect them better.

Captain
09-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Me and a buddy were deer hunting that morning. We had to leave early for some work we had to do. I remember letting him out at the gate as we were leaving and when he got out of the truck to unlock/open the gate I turned on the radio. I heard about a plane crashing into the WTC but had no clue it was a BIG plane. I told my friend when he got back in the truck about it and we decided to go to a little local store and get a breakfast biscuit. When we got there the folks in the store had the TV on and we saw the second plane hit the 2nd building.
Like everyone else in America we could not believe what we were watching. Being we both were officers, we called the office as no one knew the extent of how many attacks there would be. We canceled the farm work for the day and went home and in to the office.

Herb2
09-11-2015, 10:55 AM
I was in a business meeting on the 30th floor of a building in Tulsa, when we watched the plane hit the second tower. Other than being in hotels that was the ONLY building with more than about five stories I had been in for over a decade (Ilived and worked in the country), so it was a little weird.

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2015, 11:48 AM
At the time, I split my days between and office in downtown DC and one in Tysons Corner, VA. Luckily, I was at the Virginia office that day as getting out of DC was a nightmare. I left the office, picked up a few extra boxes of 7.62x39mm from across the street and headed home. As I recall it was an absolutely beautiful September day - a lot like today. Living in DC, there were lots of personal connections to victims, families/friends of victims and first responders. Always remember.

Thumper
09-11-2015, 11:48 AM
I almost became a temporary resident of Canada because all air transportation was eventually grounded. I'd just spent a week fishing in Canada with TW, Johnboy, Buckrub and Posthole and had a late flight out on 9/10. I arrived home in the wee hours of 9/11. I knew I'd be late getting home and would be worn out, so I had not scheduled any jobs that day. Lynn left for work a little before 8:00 am and I decided to catch up on the news since I'd just spent the last week in Alberta and didn't pay a bit of attention to any newscasts. Next thing I know, I heard a plane had hit the WTC. I assumed it was a small plane and never even considered an airliner. As the events unfolded, Lynn called and was bawling her eyes out and her whole hotel staff was glued to the set in the lobby. Needless to say, I was glued to the tv and never left the house for the next couple of days.

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2015, 11:57 AM
One of my favorite 9/11 memories is this one from the 10th anniversary. Matt and his WEBELOS Den laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Very moving stuff.

That's him in the back.

LJ3
09-11-2015, 03:29 PM
^^that^^